Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2017 4:00:46 PM EDT
Hi.  I'm taking a road trip with my kids shortly, beginning in Northern Virginia and driving to Colorado, and then into northern New Mexico and eventually the Four Corners area.  Places in New Mexico I hope to visit are the Philmont Scout Ranch, Taos, Los Alamos, Santa Fe, and Farmington.

We like history, nature, and "kid's activities".  Any recommendations on things to see or places to eat in northern New Mexico?
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 7:21:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Just returned from Santa Fe - obviously visit the Plaza while you are there.  Lots of good places to eat.  Bandelier National Park is near there -  I thought that was very interesting.  We didn't have time to visit Aztec Ruins but I plan to next time I am in that area.  It is just a few miles from Farmington in the city of Aztec.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:44:55 PM EDT
[#2]
If it were me, I would take 64 just south of Raton to the Scout ranch.  From there I would take 64 west to Eagles Nest.  Then west on 38 thru Red River to Questa.  Then take 522 south to Taos and then 68/285 south to Santa Fe.  I assume you would spend at least a day in Santa Fe.  From there I would head back up 285 to Pojaque.  Turn left up to Los Alamos.  Take 4 towards White Rock and Bandolier.  Then go west on 4 to the Valles Caldera.  From there, it will depend on what you are driving.  If you have something that can handle mild dirt roads, turn right on 126 by Amanda's Jemez Mountain Country Store.  Take 126 all the way to Cuba.  Head north on 550 till Bloomfield and then left to Farmington.  If you don't have a vehicle you want to take on dirt roads, take 4 all the way to San Ysidro and head north on 550.  Either way, if I had time to kill, I would take 537 north off of 550 through the Jicarilla Apache Reservation until is hits 64, then take 64 west through Bloomfield into Farmington, and hope to see some huge mule deer and elk.  

Of those towns, you can find good/decent places to stay in Taos, Santa Fe, Los Alamos/White Rock and Farmington.  I would not plan on staying in Cuba.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:19:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:43:35 PM EDT
[#4]
NRA whittington center might have lodging.  Pecos National Historic site.  Pecos.  Bradbury Science museum, Los Alamos.  If you trip plan I -25 between Las Vegas and Santa Fe, drop me a note as soon as you can
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top