Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2017 4:07:57 PM EDT
Took my daughter out for her first turkey hunt. Hiked about a mile into our spot and got set up. Started to call and immediately got a response from several hens about 200 yards off. Sat quiet until we could see the flock coming in. There were about 20 birds, with at least 5 toms. Did some quiet calling to keep their attention and hope to pull a tom over. Three toms spotted the Wind Drifter decoys and started heading our way. Ended up taking the larger tom at about 25 yards. He flopped into a creek and proceeded to make a mess of his fan.

What had been planned as a three day hunt turned into a 10 minute hunt. So we spent the rest of the weekend just hanging around camp and doing some shed hunting. She has been turkey hunting with me for 5 years and it was great to be there when she got to shoot her first one.

I hope this is the start of a great hunting year for everyone.  Post up some pics as the seasons go along.

Link Posted: 4/9/2017 4:16:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice.  She looks like she had the time of her life.  Nothing better than your first successful hunt.  Hope she stays in the sport, as most kids wouldn't be interested.

What area?
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 7:38:10 PM EDT
[#2]
We were up north in 5B.  Has been a tradition to start the season there for the last 15 years.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 11:51:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 4:31:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice Job!!!

MAHA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top