Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2017 6:42:10 PM EDT
I'm taking the 12 y/o. I love history and science; she's more a science type.

I've always wanted to visit Trinity, and am finally getting a chance to. Looks like Socorro is the closest town to lodge in?

Anything else neat in the area to visit/see/do? Just making a quick weekend trip of it, but I've never been in the area.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 12:29:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Should be a fun trip.  Just off the top of my head:

1.  White Sands National Monument - Worth the trip.  Also get to drive through the Valley of Fires on the way to Alamogordo.  Could stay a night in Alamogordo to make it easier to see things in/around Alamogordo.
2.  Buckhorn/Owl Café - Green Chile burgers in San Antonio.  I prefer Buckhorn, but sometimes they are too busy and I go to Owl Café.  Closed on Sundays.
3.  Bosque Del Apache - Not sure if the birds will still be there, but a great place to see a lot of waterfowl and other wildlife.  Just go south on Main Street in San Antonio.
4.  Keep an eye out for Oryx while driving on missile range.  Cool animals.
5.  Depending on how you are getting to the area, the Very Large Array is an option.  Just west of Socorro by about 50 miles.  Good for science types.

I'm sure there are some other good ideas.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 6:45:10 PM EDT
[#2]
New Mexico Museum of Space History in Alamagordo was pretty neat 30 years ago....haven't been back in the area since.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:44:44 PM EDT
[#3]
White Sands really is a must-see. Just amazing how things worked out to create that expanse of dunes in the middle of the desert. It's cool to the touch even in the summer. My kids thought it was fantastic (although they're younger). We plan to go back again sometime soon.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:34:21 PM EDT
[#4]
It takes about 20 minutes to go from Socorro to Stallion Range gate. Not too far at all.

Good suggestions so far.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:26:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
New Mexico Museum of Space History in Alamagordo was pretty neat 30 years ago....haven't been back in the area since.
View Quote
I was there a few months ago. If anything, it's even better than when I went there 20 or so years ago! ETA Almagordo is 2  hours each way to/from Socorro.

About 73 miles south of Socorro is Truth or Consequences, which hosts several establishments with natural hot springs. There are some museums there. I have only visited the Geronimo Springs Museum, which was pretty interesting.

If you have the urge to visit the UFO museum in Roswell... pass it up. Totally hokey. Unless you are really, really into that kind of thing.

Just be prepared for LOTS of driving! New Mexico consists of miles and miles of nothin' but miles and miles! So bring along some in-car entertainment for your child.

And of course, standard emergency car stuff. LOTS of water, broad-brimmed hats (the NM sun is merciless), water, tools, water, sunblock, and water. Also, be prepared for long stretches of road that have no cell phone service.

It's very easy to become dehydrated. And since much of NM is above 5000 feet, altitude sickness is a real possibility... which will be exacerbated by dehydration. So bring water flavoring stuff that you and your child will enjoy.

If you are going to Trinity, there are a number of sites to visit so plan your day accordingly. Study the site and get as much info as you can.

Truthfully... VLA plus Trinity are a day's visit. VLA is interesting: there's a self-guided tour around the site, plus a visitor's center and gift shop. The visitor's center has a movie theater displaying info about VLA and the science surrounding it.

Socorro is the home of New Mexico's Institute of Mining and Technology; they have a very limited-access* museum there.

Have Fun!

* only open for very restricted hours.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top