Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2016 6:33:36 AM EDT
Hey everyone, I'm new to hunting and since moving out here from Virginia I'd like to give it a try. I've never been hunting before but did spend four years in the Corps as an infantryman so I'm not new to shooting at things I've looked into the draw system a little bit as I'd like to go for a cow elk but don't really know what area of the state to apply for or what lands I can hunt on. Out of the places I've been, Cloudcroft and Catron county seem to have a lot of elk but I'm unclear if I should put in for a permit there not knowing anything about land use rights. I'm currently a filmmaker so I can't afford a high-priced trip with an outfitter but any advice would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 5:32:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm happy to help you out.  The new proclamation for next season should be posted in a week or so.  Where do you live?   No reason to drive across entire state if there are cow elk an hour from your front door. Just wanting to hunt elk?
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 1:34:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 6:24:06 PM EDT
[#3]
When I lived in NM I always had excellent luck in Unit 34 between Cloudcroft and Sunspot. Tons of elk, a few deer.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 7:24:01 PM EDT
[#4]
New hunting proclamation is available online now.  If anyone has questions on the process, let me know.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 6:56:19 PM EDT
[#5]
There's usually a resident-only cow elk hunt in Nov up in GMU 52 between Chama and Tres Piedras.  If you get drawn for that one, let me know and Ill get you some info. Catron County has a nice elk population but is known more for the large antlered bulls that live in the Gila area, and there's also a lot of elk around Ruidoso.  Just remember, you're NOT guaranteed to get drawn.  Most hunters put in for several species (e.g., elk, deer, antelope, Oryx) hoping to get drawn for at least one.  Oh, and as for deer, we have two kinds: Mule deer which are probably the most common and the tiny white tail known as the Coues deer found mostly in the bootheel area stretching up into parts of the Gila. There may also be regular whitetails in the drainages on the east side of the state (since they have them in eastern Colorado) but I'm not sure if there's a separate season on them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top