Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2016 2:31:13 PM EDT
I've heard rumors of a shooting area on BLM land in the East Mountains north of Cedar Crest off North 14.

Anyone have any idea where it is? I let my Zia membership lapse this year and was looking for somewhere to sight in my new muzzleloader.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 3:57:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Tag for more info!
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 5:12:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I have heard of a shooting area north of Edgewood off of 344. Never been myself, but a friend has been there several times

Been looking for someone who's got some land to take coyotes on
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:19:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have heard of a shooting area north of Edgewood off of 344. Never been myself, but a friend has been there several times

View Quote

I went looking for the place today with no luck. The directions from my buddy were very, very poor but I ended up at 344 and didn't find anything that looked like a shooting area.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 1:24:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I go to that BLM range off of 344 regularly.  Been going to Zia a lot as a guest, but I'm probably going to go this Friday after work, or early Saturday.  Gotta test some new ammo in a couple handguns, and if I'm particularly motivated, work on my forced sniper mosin (certainly not original, so I don't have to worry about value)

I may be new here, but if anyone wants to go, I can shoot you a picture I keep at work with more specific directions to the place, or even meet up with you at the gas station at 14/Frost.  I live about 10 minutes east of that intersection.  I've has a couple friends who find it hard to locate.  My solution has been to have folk follow me there.

When you enter, there are 2 lanes to the right, one pistol/shotgun appropriate place just to the left, and if you are willing to articulate your suspension a bit, a wide open area on the far left.

(Anyone still reading this thread?)

Just don't be a jerk, and clean up when you are done.  I've heard rumors that some people have been causing problems.  I generally pick up more than I take, and have only encountered one cop who ended up chatting with us for a bit about guns, and then he wandered off.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 2:17:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

The recent Dog Head fire destroyed 20,000 acres and pushed a lot of wildlife out into adjacent areas.

The coyote population seems to be quite healthy, with packs howling every night just east of the burned area.  Chicken coops have been attacked repeatedly.   I’ve seen packs of 5-7 wandering around.

If you can call in coyotes and eliminate them, some area ranchers will probably let you shoot on their land.

Now, the trick is to find those very specific ranchers.   There is a bit of a range war going on in Chilili, Mexicans vs Gringos, and everyone is armed.    If you can find one friendly rancher in the area, and actually kill a few coyotes, then he may refer you to his neighbors.   Be careful not to cross property lines without permission, or you may be the one being hunted.   SSS is totally doable out here.

Most lots out here are a minimum 10 acres with just a few houses per square mile, so plenty of free range to hunt or target shoot on.   This time of year, there are often rattlesnakes sunning themselves on the rocks.  Watch where you step.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 7:26:28 AM EDT
[#6]
https://binged.it/2dLhO1F

FYI
It is being monitored both by LE and especially property owners (cameras) as nearby residents on the ridge and hills to the east and north are trying to build a case for getting the site shut down.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 9:06:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Glad you mentioned the cameras.  I see the vehicle counter laid across the drive, but was unaware of the cameras.  I've lived here for about 2 years, and known about this place probably since the late spring, but have only run across one LEO so far.

Do you know about any specific complaints? Noise/traffic/littering?

If you see a grey Tacoma with TX plates, come say hi!  (I've got a white toolbox mounted on the side of my bed.)
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 4:02:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The recent Dog Head fire destroyed 20,000 acres and pushed a lot of wildlife out into adjacent areas.

The coyote population seems to be quite healthy, with packs howling every night just east of the burned area.  Chicken coops have been attacked repeatedly.   I’ve seen packs of 5-7 wandering around.

If you can call in coyotes and eliminate them, some area ranchers will probably let you shoot on their land.

Now, the trick is to find those very specific ranchers.   There is a bit of a range war going on in Chilili, Mexicans vs Gringos, and everyone is armed.    If you can find one friendly rancher in the area, and actually kill a few coyotes, then he may refer you to his neighbors.   Be careful not to cross property lines without permission, or you may be the one being hunted.   SSS is totally doable out here.

Most lots out here are a minimum 10 acres with just a few houses per square mile, so plenty of free range to hunt or target shoot on.   This time of year, there are often rattlesnakes sunning themselves on the rocks.  Watch where you step.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I live east of where the Dog Head fire was. Coyotes are at it good, you're right. For a few weeks I was losing 3-4 hens a week, then the local domestic dog packs got a few coyotes. Now I just here them at night.
Heard one of the dairy farms in Willard was letting people bird hunt and take all the coyotes they want. No  confirmation though.

Haven't talked to anyone with substantial land, as I don't want to give anyone reason to think I'm up to no good.

Cheers
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 7:19:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Not sure why that's not a hot-link anymore?
Anyway, just cut and paste this and it will pull up a Bing map & photo along with GPS coordinates.
https://binged.it/2dLhO1F

Quoted:
Glad you mentioned the cameras.  I see the vehicle counter laid across the drive, but was unaware of the cameras.  I've lived here for about 2 years, and known about this place probably since the late spring, but have only run across one LEO so far.

Do you know about any specific complaints? Noise/traffic/littering?

If you see a grey Tacoma with TX plates, come say hi!  (I've got a white toolbox mounted on the side of my bed.)
View Quote

Neighbors are primarily pissed about the noise of gunshots.
But they are using anything and everything to build a 'nuisance' case.
Traffic
Dust
Radios
Trash
Destroying vegetation
Stray bullets

The last three are legitimate, some shooters are leaving their 'remnants', are trashing the landscape, and based on where targets are often placed easily able to send a stray round where it shouldn't be going. If folks want to keep this area open for shooting I would suggest organizing a cleanup day as well as spreading the word about respecting the area and proper backstops.

If nothing changes my money is on this location being shut down for good.

Over in the White Mesa area the Zia tribe has been cracking down because shooters are not only trashing the area, but routinely trespassing on the Rez. BLM has put up better signage as well as maps to help show boundaries, but Zia plans on starting to make arrests (and confiscations) for those shooting on their land.

Use it properly or lose it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 7:45:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Perhaps putting up a small sign at the Ten-Points general store on 337, or the convenience store in Estancia, offering to remove nuisance coyotes for free might get some results.

I don't have the free time to hunt, and my land is densely forested.   In most spots, there could be coyotes 40ft away and you'd never seem them.  It would take a pretty heavy bullet to cut through the brush and maintain any accuracy.     I did have a mountain lion wander the property a few weeks ago.  He left footprints on top of a 11ft high water tank and crushed rain gutter downspouts looking for water.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:49:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
<SNIP for post length>

View Quote

Heh, I can't get to a lot of link-shorteners at work (and that's the only place I use a computer, for the most part.)

I've been out to the White Mesa area a time or two with people who know the area, however, like usual when I'm running around this state, I'm astonished at how poorly boundaries are marked.  That leads to me being very skittish when I even suspect I'm near tribal lands, as I can't count the number of times I've seen signs on major roads about "leaving X pueblo", and I never even knew I hand crossed into it.  (And the White Mesa area is a good 1.5 hour drive for me.)  If I stick around this state long term, I'll definitely be getting memberships at Zia and Del Norte though.

I see some guys at the East Mountain area pretty regularly with Merchant Marines stickers, I may ask them if they want to help do some kind of cleanup.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:05:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Neighbors are primarily pissed about the noise of gunshots.
But they are using anything and everything to build a 'nuisance' case.
Traffic
Dust
Radios
Trash
Destroying vegetation
Stray bullets

The last three are legitimate, some shooters are leaving their 'remnants', are trashing the landscape, and based on where targets are often placed easily able to send a stray round where it shouldn't be going. If folks want to keep this area open for shooting I would suggest organizing a cleanup day as well as spreading the word about respecting the area and proper backstops.

If nothing changes my money is on this location being shut down for good.

Over in the White Mesa area the Zia tribe has been cracking down because shooters are not only trashing the area, but routinely trespassing on the Rez. BLM has put up better signage as well as maps to help show boundaries, but Zia plans on starting to make arrests (and confiscations) for those shooting on their land.

View Quote

I was going to try to get out and look the area over to locate it this weekend. Will pick up any trash I find while I'm there.

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:12:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Perhaps putting up a small sign at the Ten-Points general store on 337, or the convenience store in Estancia, offering to remove nuisance coyotes for free might get some results.

I don't have the free time to hunt, and my land is densely forested.   In most spots, there could be coyotes 40ft away and you'd never seem them.  It would take a pretty heavy bullet to cut through the brush and maintain any accuracy.     I did have a mountain lion wander the property a few weeks ago.  He left footprints on top of a 11ft high water tank and crushed rain gutter downspouts looking for water.
View Quote

Good idea, I may do that. Thanks
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 1:51:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I usually shoot on my family's place, but its up on the Manzano so not great for anything but fun
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 8:34:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Im South of Chillili off of 337 and the fire burnt up to our back property line. There are three packs of coyotes in our area,very active at night. We have lost 2 cats,but they are not bothering the chickens in the coop yet. There is another newer range near Mountainaire (just West) I am looking into the details on membership.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 12:52:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Im South of Chillili off of 337 and the fire burnt up to our back property line. There are three packs of coyotes in our area,very active at night. We have lost 2 cats,but they are not bothering the chickens in the coop yet. There is another newer range near Mountainaire (just West) I am looking into the details on membership.
View Quote

I've heard about it. Last time I looked, membership was pretty cheap. I could never get any stats on the actual range though, like number of berms and distances.
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 9:19:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I've heard about it. Last time I looked, membership was pretty cheap. I could never get any stats on the actual range though, like number of berms and distances.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have emailed the owner of Monzano Mountain Gun Club. The meetings are in Mountainaire at  the Ancient Cities Cafe. According to manzanomountaingunclub.org their next meeting is Nov. 17th at 6pm. I know you have to attend a meeting and be an NRA member. If I remember correctly, they have a rifle range area out to 3 or 400 yards.Apparently the range sits down in a natural bowl land feature. I will become a member as soon as my work schedule slows down enough to attend a meeting.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:13:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Reviving this thread, I'm up in on Sedillo hill looking for a nearby place to shoot.  Anyone know the current situation with this land?  Sick of driving out to Del Norte.  I'd also be down to meet up with some fellow east mountain shooters only been in the area for a year.  I'm also into archery and looking into the sandia crest bowhunting association.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:16:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Reviving this thread, I'm up in on Sedillo hill looking for a nearby place to shoot.  Anyone know the current situation with this land?  Sick of driving out to Del Norte.  I'd also be down to meet up with some fellow east mountain shooters only been in the area for a year.  I'm also into archery and looking into the sandia crest bowhunting association.
View Quote
People still go there. I have yet to drive up there myself.

Have you been to MAGS indoor range in Moriarty? It's not bad, only a 20yd range though. I also think they have an archery range there too.

ETA-You can also join Founders Ranch in Edgewood and pay to shoot there. Its much closer to you.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:03:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Just saw this and it is good to see the new faces.  I am a member of Zia but haven't gone much recently.  I am willing to help with the Yotes, I have suppressed guns that work well at night with out much noise.  

Looks like we need to have a Meet up.

MAHA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top