Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2016 11:01:26 PM EDT
Just got an email from the ILA. Apparently the state is proposing changing the rule on out of state permits so that you would have only 90 days to get a NM permit if you move here. You would no longer be able to carry with an out of state permit. Hearing is this week. We need to hit them hard, this is bullshit.

Proposed rule is here http://www.dps.state.nm.us/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/10.8.2-NMAC.pdf

Email [email protected] tonight if you are able. The hearing is Sept 15 at 9:30 am. Not sure why I am only hearing this now. Also not sure how they can try to change law with a simple rule.

Any one know more about this?

Update -

NRA sent out a message today that there is a hearing for public opinion on these rule changes scheduled for Tuesday November 1, at 1pm in the Law Enforcement Academy Auditorium at DPS Santa Fe. You can send comments to the same email address as above before that time. Please do so, as always be firm but polite. This is nothing more than a money grab by the state.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 11:23:50 AM EDT
[#1]
son of a bitch! My AZ license should be here within the next week or 2 as I am coming up on the 75 days they say to get it done. FUCK Fuck fuck. Such bullshit.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 7:49:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
son of a bitch! My AZ license should be here within the next week or 2 as I am coming up on the 75 days they say to get it done. FUCK Fuck fuck. Such bullshit.
View Quote

Those were my thoughts as well. This is just bullshit.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 10:31:15 PM EDT
[#3]
The state is losing money to those who have an out of state license.  This is their way of making sure they get every last penny.

I still wonder how they came up with the 'no training required' license for recently discharged/retired veterans.  Some poor sucker who doesn't know jack Shiite about deadly force is going to get his/her license and shoot when they shouldn't.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 10:35:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Does anyone know the outcome of the hearing???
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 10:48:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The state is losing money to those who have an out of state license.  This is their way of making sure they get every last penny.

I still wonder how they came up with the 'no training required' license for recently discharged/retired veterans.  Some poor sucker who doesn't know jack Shiite about deadly force is going to get his/her license and shoot when they shouldn't.
View Quote

This is exactly how I understand it as well. Just a money grab, pure and simple. I don't know enough about the process in this state yet to know whether it is legal for them to change this rule outside of what they must do to comply with the change in the law or whether they're trying to pull a fast one.

I went ahead and signed up for a class for the NM permit. I would rather deal with the BS than not be able to legally protect my wife and infant. Everytime I think about the fucking stupid ass 2 year refresher requirement I get pissed off though. This state has the most fucked up CCW requirements of them all.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 11:09:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This is exactly how I understand it as well. Just a money grab, pure and simple. I don't know enough about the process in this state yet to know whether it is legal for them to change this rule outside of what they must do to comply with the change in the law or whether they're trying to pull a fast one.

I went ahead and signed up for a class for the NM permit. I would rather deal with the BS than not be able to legally protect my wife and infant. Everytime I think about the fucking stupid ass 2 year refresher requirement I get pissed off though. This state has the most fucked up CCW requirements of them all.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, wasn't aware of the 2 year refresher, fuck that, if they do pass some BS, ill just have to open carry
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 11:12:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Wow, wasn't aware of the 2 year refresher, fuck that, if they do pass some BS, ill just have to open carry
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

2 year refresher is 2 hours - $50 right now, 4 year renewal is $75 for class and $75 for new license.

I'm from FL. It's like $60 per license, one time 8 hr class which is basically an NRA basic pistol class, and then license good for 8 years. This is fucking stupidity.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 11:13:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Does anyone know what the process for this rule change is? Do they have to get approval from the legislature or can they legislate by fiat?
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 1:59:51 PM EDT
[#9]
How did this turn out?
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 9:22:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How did this turn out?
View Quote

I would love to know too, but I haven't seen anything.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:30:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Update in OP
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 12:40:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Did it pass? 
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 6:21:20 PM EDT
[#13]
I have not heard anything more about this. It's my understanding that it will take some time and may even need approval outside of DPS. I'll try to find out more info on the current status.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 4:01:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
How did this turn out?
View Quote

It is in the books, so it is law.  Scroll down to subsection .29  

It is all about the revenue generation.

http://164.64.110.239/nmac/parts/title10/10.008.0002.htm
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 9:24:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Well that was fast. I'm glad I went ahead and got a NM license. The process was a clusterfuck though. It appears they raised the replacement fee from $5 to $10 as well. I can't believe the legislature was stupid enough to give complete regulatory power to the DPS. They can now arbitrarily re-write the rules whenever it suits them.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 11:16:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Yup all about revenue.

Any one can open carry, free no permit nothing.

If you want to conceal carry, permit, money and all your personal info, fuck them
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top