Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2016 12:49:48 AM EDT

Can one use night vision and/or thermal for hunting coyotes or hogs in NM? On public lands with the access tag?

Is it legal to shoot at night?

Hunting with suppressors?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 8/10/2016 10:28:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Helpful bunch, ain't ya?
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 10:49:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Good luck getting any straight/no b.s. answers for anyone at NMGF... If it is a large private ranch I would say don't worry if you have written permission from land owner. Public lands might land you in hot water.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2821628
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 11:08:07 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Good luck getting any straight/no b.s. answers for anyone at NMGF... If it is a large private ranch I would say don't worry if you have written permission from land owner. Public lands might land you in hot water.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2821628
View Quote
Thanks. That's about what I figured. Y'all's fish and game outfit has to have the most ambiguous and difficult to decipher rule book I've ever seen.

Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:32:33 AM EDT
[#4]
You may not hunt public lands in NM at night with artificial light.  Spot light poaching is pretty rampant in NM.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 6:27:30 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You may not hunt public lands in NM at night with artificial light.  Spot light poaching is pretty rampant in NM.
View Quote

My PVS-14 requires no artificial light, no does my thermal scope. NMF&G doesn't specifically address passive night vision/thermal devices other than to say no artificial light. They do list shooting hours in accordance with daylight hours for hunting game, but they don't specifically address non-game hunting hours for coyotes or pigs. Their ambiguity is pretty underwhelming.

What about hunting or non-game hunting with suppressors? They don't mention that either.

Link Posted: 8/12/2016 11:39:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Hunting at night for coyotes and pigs is fine.  But could bring unwanted attention from law enforcement, as it will look remarkably similar to illegal spot lighting for deer/elk.  The general consensus is to call the game and fish officer in your area and let them know you will be hunting coyotes/pigs at night, as well as the general area.  Haven't heard of anyone having any issues with law enforcement when doing this.  Issues with locals because you are interfering with their spot lighting for deer/elk activities is another story.

EDIT:  You mention "access tag".  Not sure what you mean by this.  Are you saying you have the "stamps" needed to be able to hunt on public lands?  If so, you should be good.  But I am not aware of an "access tag".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top