Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/8/2016 10:03:35 PM EDT
Planning a camping trip in a a couple of weeks and was wondering is the Fire got the Campground.  

Also looking for good camping areas with Trees, with in a couple of hours from ABQ if you have any suggestions please let me know.

MAHA
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 12:14:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Planning a camping trip in a a couple of weeks and was wondering is the Fire got the Campground.  

Also looking for good camping areas with Trees, with in a couple of hours from ABQ if you have any suggestions please let me know.

MAHA
View Quote

The map HERE says the campground did NOT burn.  Although it looks like it started just to the north of the campground.

As for other camping areas, Kinda depends on what you are looking to do.  Lots of great spots in the Jemez and Pecos.  I also like some of the areas west of Socorro.  What kind of camping did you have in mind?  Car camping in an established campground?  Car camping without amenities?  Backpacking?  Anything you wanted to do/see while camping?
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 11:46:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Established campgrounds are preferred but we want to have some space around us and not be piled on top of other campers.  It will be a group of us usually 10, possibly 20 at the most. Being around water would be nice.

MAHA
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 1:13:08 PM EDT
[#3]
You might contact philmont scout ranch and see what areas they have available.
Other than that I don't know the area.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 12:27:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The map HERE says the campground did NOT burn.  Although it looks like it started just to the north of the campground.

As for other camping areas, Kinda depends on what you are looking to do.  Lots of great spots in the Jemez and Pecos.  I also like some of the areas west of Socorro.  What kind of camping did you have in mind?  Car camping in an established campground?  Car camping without amenities?  Backpacking?  Anything you wanted to do/see while camping?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MAHA

that map is not completely accurate, at least on the east side of the fire.  the fire continued growing a bit beyond what is depicted.  There are a lot of small burned areas, spot fires started by airborne embers, that are not shown either.

I haven't been to the campground but I have been into some of the burned areas.  

Sightseeing is not advised.   A strange vehicle driving around will attract the interest of locals, who are still watching for looters trying to steal anything no longer
protected by homeowners driven out by the fire.   You may find your single-lane road blocked by a rancher wearing a pistol, wanting to know who you are and why you are there.   Blow him off and the NMSP will be on your ass pretty quick.

Link Posted: 8/11/2016 8:52:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Established campgrounds are preferred but we want to have some space around us and not be piled on top of other campers.  It will be a group of us usually 10, possibly 20 at the most. Being around water would be nice.

MAHA
View Quote

By established campground, I assume you mean at least an outhouse.  That's a tough one.  Can't think of any that have an outhouse that will not also have a good amount of people nearby.  Clear Creek Campground and Rio De Las Vacas Campground are both fairly small established campgrounds in the Jemez.  

If an outhouse is not required, there are a lot more options.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 8:17:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the input.  A part of the group didnt want to go too far so we decided on Jemez Falls Campgroud in the National Forrest.  I will let you know how it was.

Thanks

MAHA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top