Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2016 5:52:09 PM EDT
Do you know of any places like that within 1 hour from Abq? Only place i can think of that is "public" is rio puerco where i go shoot, but was wondering if there is a place that is darker at night to see the stars and planets easier. Any input appreciated, thanks.

Link Posted: 3/15/2016 3:50:59 PM EDT
[#1]
You can head up towards the old Placitas village- once you get around the mountain, the city lights are blocked pretty good, there's parking for open space you could set up in.

Close enough (less than 20 minutes from Tramway and I25- go north on I25, take Bernalillo/Placitas exit- go right towards Placitas.

Might want to do a day run to scope a place first.

Not as clear a view as you might get further North, but we do enjoy our night skies in Placitas.

http://www.cabq.gov/parksandrecreation/documents/Placitas%20-%20hillshade.pdf/view
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 7:51:51 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You can head up towards the old Placitas village- once you get around the mountain, the city lights are blocked pretty good, there's parking for open space you could set up in.

Close enough (less than 20 minutes from Tramway and I25- go north on I25, take Bernalillo/Placitas exit- go right towards Placitas.

Might want to do a day run to scope a place first.

Not as clear a view as you might get further North, but we do enjoy our night skies in Placitas.

http://www.cabq.gov/parksandrecreation/documents/Placitas%20-%20hillshade.pdf/view
View Quote

Thanks for this, forgot to reply with a thanks. Went by this past week, it was beautiful.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:43:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Placitas is actually pretty light-polluted now, back in the 80's it was the 'go-to' place near ABQ, but today it isn't much better than the foothills. The best you'll get within an hour is along 550 past Red Mesa, there are some safe turnouts you can access and set up. You can also call Zia or Jemez as they are usually pretty cool about giving permission to access some locations that are further from the highway, just make sure you do call as well as get the name of who OK'd it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 8:48:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Head south on I-25 to the second Belen offramp. Go west, past the airport, till it turns into a graavel road. Keep going (the road turns twice, till you are going south). Go about 10 miles and you will see The Albuquerque Astronomal Society's  observatory.

Actually, there are plenty of places before that but they frequently have star parties on Fridays and Saturdays. There's an AWESOME reflector scope inside, 18" mirror IIRC.

It's nice and dark there. And if you go out when there are no clouds or dust in the sky, you'll still see a smudge of light in the sky to the west. It's where no city lights should be; it's actually skyglow, some kind of astronomical event.

eta

Belen is about 30 miles south of ABQ Airport.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top