Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2016 12:28:00 AM EDT

My son and I are driving out west and back over his spring break (mid March).

Starting point will be Memphis.  

Final destination is the Grand Canyon.

The drive itself is part of the trip and spending time together.

Mom/wife is happy to not have to care for us for 10 days. Win/win.

What to do as we go through New Mexico?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 12:35:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Enjoy the freedom of having as many loaded ARs and pistols stacked floor to ceiling in your car as you want completely legally
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 10:48:39 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Enjoy the freedom of having as many loaded ARs and pistols stacked floor to ceiling in your car as you want completely legally
View Quote
Already enjoy that at home!

Link Posted: 1/25/2016 10:53:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Hmmmmmm, assuming you are sticking fairly close to the I-40 corridor, I guess Chaco Canyon would be cool.  Particularly if you can get there early morning when the light is low.  Sunrise would be good.  Depending on how far you are willing to go north or south from I-40, there may be other options.  I like the Malpais National Monument as well.

If you are staying in the Albuquerque area, we might have some suggestions as well.

And while you can stack the loaded AR-15s as deep as you want in New Mexico, while on an Indian reservation you will want to be more discrete.  Their laws and how they view loaded firearms while traveling through their land is different.  Generally, don't be an ass and you will probably be ok.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 9:07:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Sky City isn't too far off of I-40.
I would recommend it.

Sky City
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 7:46:08 PM EDT
[#5]
thx for the ideas
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 11:41:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 12:43:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Isn't this a strange situation?

New Mexico is a very cool place to live.  There is a lot to do.  There is a four seasons climate, which is nice in itself, which also opens additional opportunities for things more things to do such as skiing.

The thing is, it's not so great for touring by car.  I could be wrong but I think, in a car, you'd likely just drive on thru awaiting arrival at the Grand Canyon, Meteor Crater, etc.  New Mexico is a nice place to BE but not much of a place if you're just passing thru.

If I am mistaken, let me know.  I'd like to do some of the activities, myself.

I have heard there are several nice drives but they are farther north than the I-40 corridor:  the Taos Loop; around the NM-CO border (Rocky Mountain drive),...
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 3:46:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Trollslayer,

I agree, it is a little odd.  But I don't think it's much different than other states.  Particularly when you look at the route OP is taking.  While I certainly don't know the details of what might be available from Memphis to the Grand Canyon, I have driven that route a number of times.  I could probably come up with some scenic things to see in Arkansas, but that drive through Oklahoma and the panhandle of Texas is fairly uneventful.  Not a whole lot to see once you enter New Mexico.  Some Billy the Kid stuff would be possible I guess, if you want to drop down to the Fort Sumner area.  Once you hit Arizona, you can stop at the Petrified Forest/Painted Desert.  And then again at the meteorite crater.  Next thing you know, you have arrived in Williams, AZ and are watching a mock gunfight the night before you get on a train to go to the Grand Canyon.  

Most of the activities I spend my time doing are north or south of the I-40 corridor.  Another option, depending on time available, would be a round trip up through the Valles Caldera, across to Los Alamos and into Santa Fe, then back to I-40.  That's at least a half day though.

I'm sure someone can come on and tell me all the amazing things to do/see between Memphis and New Mexico.  But I bet they are not much different than what New Mexico has to offer.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 4:33:15 PM EDT
[#9]
If you are staying the night in Albuquerque, Old Town is a great place to spend an afternoon.  Every time one of the wife's relatives come for a visit, we take them there.  Historical stuff, a great lunch and shopping for Native wares all in one little area.  Our zoo and botanical garden is a great way to spend an entire day.

Her nephew stayed with us for a week after he graduated college and had to see all of the places where Breaking Bad was filmed.  We let him do that on his own.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 5:27:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like we need a "What to do and see in NM" thread.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 7:58:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top