Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/24/2015 3:58:05 AM EDT
New Mexico Museum of Space History.   Took my wife and 14-year-old son to see it. Very interesting museum exhibits! Lots of decommissioned hardware to view; in the front of the building they have the John P. Stapp Air & Space Park, which exhibits several missile systems, and the Little Joe II rocket.

There are mockups of the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo capsules.

Inside, there's lots of hardware and photo documentation of the history of space travel. There's a neat Space Shuttle landing simulator the kids will enjoy.

Well worth the time inside. My back still aches from the 3 3/4 hour drive from Belen.

BTW Check out your local library for a free pass! There's a pass system that allows you entry for several museums and attractions throughout Nuevo Mehico. We saved $16 by using it!
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 6:03:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Cool.

Did you go to the littlest Imax while you were down there?
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 11:31:24 AM EDT
[#2]
No, we had the freebie pass, didn't want to spend any more money. I wish we had, it'd be cool!
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 2:44:33 PM EDT
[#3]
That museum is pretty cool.  I went through it several years ago.  About the only thing to do in Alamogordo.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 3:08:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That museum is pretty cool.  I went through it several years ago.  About the only thing to do in Alamogordo.
View Quote

Oh, I dunno... the Sonic drive-in had $.79 sliders   junior cheeseburgers yesterday!
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 8:53:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Brown bag deli has awesome sandwiches next time you (or whoever) is down there.
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 1:37:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Never understood why so many people liked that place. Pizza Mill is so much better.
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 2:39:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I need to check it out I am there several times a year but never stop.
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 1:36:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Never understood why so many people liked that place. Pizza Mill is so much better.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This man speaketh the truth.
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 6:08:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Oh, I dunno... the Sonic drive-in had $.79 sliders   junior cheeseburgers yesterday!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're in Alamogordo and not eating frozen custard at Caliche's you are doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 3:15:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Was joking. Don't bother with the littlest Imax. Why would anyone want to see a little Imax? They should call it Imin.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 1:20:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Was joking. Don't bother with the littlest Imax. Why would anyone want to see a little Imax? They should call it Imin.
View Quote

It's worth it depending on what is showing. I volunteered there when I was in high school and saw a ton of movies. The two best were one about the international space station and the other was about fighter pilots. Just don't go in expecting to see a blockbuster movie on a 50 story screen. The smaller dome screen is awesome in its own way.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 9:44:58 AM EDT
[#12]
For my wife, the highlight was McGinn's Pistacio Tree Ranch home of the world's largest pistacio!

(Looks like the carnivorous plant, Audrey Jr., from "Little Shop of Horrors.")
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:32:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
For my wife, the highlight was McGinn's Pistacio Tree Ranch home of the world's largest pistacio!

http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server4100/c338f/product_images/uploaded_images/picture.jpg

View Quote

I never did understand the fascination with pistachios. Every time I drive by that place and the place next to it are packed with tourists. When i was in elementary school we even took a field trip to that place and got a tour!
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 5:06:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server4100/c338f/product_images/uploaded_images/picture.jpg

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/29/2016 3:29:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Pizza Mill in Alamogordo is way better than the Pizza Mill in Hobbs.

I miss a good Belly Buster
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:40:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Pretty cool. I spent 4 years in Cruces and never made my way to that museum. What a shame.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 2:43:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Definately go if you ever get up this way. The  NRAO, home of the VLA (Very Large Array radio telescope) is a neat trip, too, with self-guided tour, gift shop and visitor's center.

AND, this April 2nd the Trinity nuclear test site is open to the public! (It's open the first Saturday in April every year.)
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 12:07:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Man, that brought back some memories.  I used to live on Thunder Rd. and would ride my bike or scooter to the museum a couple times a week and annoy the workers there. (This was 20+ years ago) It was definitely a cool/fascinating place for a kid.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 10:03:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

You have that right,lived there 89-96,place was a shithole IMO,full of druggies and drunks (I was one of the drunks)
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 11:59:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You have that right,lived there 89-96,place was a shithole IMO,full of druggies and drunks (I was one of the drunks)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still is. I'm glad my parents moved over here to Cruces so I don't have to go back there to visit them anymore
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:53:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Sunspot solar observatory is also pretty neat.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:49:33 PM EDT
[#22]
I like their pistacios!
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 12:54:05 PM EDT
[#23]
The museum brings back great memories of my childhood.  Growing up in an isolated rural NM town, I thought that place was so cool.  I loved the field trip that my school took there.  The Planetarium blew my mind and really fueled my love of astronomy.  

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 4:19:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I like their pistacios!
View Quote

Green chile and garlic pistachios are the best.  Always buy several of the large bags when I pass through that corner of hell.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 3:24:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Bump, because what the Hell, I'ts Frank.

And it was Christmas Eve.

Link Posted: 5/21/2016 5:07:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I like their pistacios!
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top