Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/1/2015 10:46:14 PM EDT
Hope everyone with tags is having a good year.  Just getting back from my muzzleloader deer hunt in Unit 17.  Had to go solo on this trip, so any legal deer was on the hit list.

Rained most of the day Friday, before the season started, which left some snow on the higher peaks.  Made for some beautiful scenery and quieter stalking conditions.  Got up early Saturday and headed up to a spot I've hunted over the years.  Basically a high point overlooking a large bowl area with P&J.  As the sun came up, I glassed a small herd of elk coming up the valley.  Spent the next 15 minutes glassing over the bowl area when I spotted a deer about 1/2 mile away.  Kept watching and finally saw the flash of antlers in the early sunlight.  About 5 minutes later another buck stepped out from behind a juniper near the first buck.  

Watched these two for about the next hour while they browsed around.  They never really left the area I first spotted them.  Finally, they both bedded down.  One in the shadow of a juniper and the other in the open.  Both deer had clear views of both my location and the most direct path to get to them.  Waited another 10 minutes to make sure they were in bed for good, and started to sneak in on them.  Fortunately, the wind was favorable and there was enough cover, I only had to crawl the last 200 yards or so.  (Still picking cactus out of my knees)  Got to 75 yards of them before I cleared a juniper and could see both clearly.  The larger buck was in the sun and closer, with the smaller buck in the shade.  Took about another 45 minutes of waiting before the larger buck stood to move.  Had my muzzleloader ready and let one fly.  

Buck jumped and made it about 15 yards before dropping.  Smaller buck disappeared, and I don't even know where he went.  Reloaded and watched the downed buck.  No movement.  After picking up the pack I had dropped 200 yards back, I went to check him out.  Small 3x3 with a symmetrical frame.  Would have loved to held out for a bigger deer, but I had limited time and, more importantly, limited energy.  

Field dressed the buck and hung the meat.  Took the head out in my small daypack, and came back with the pack frame.  Got him all loaded up and packed out in one trip.  My knees wish I had chosen to split the loads up, but I didn't feel like making two trips.  

Was a great trip overall.  Got to see several coveys of Mearns Quail and spotted my first Coatimundi.  Hope everyone with tags has some great hunts.

Camp

The drive in.

Deer

The view back to where I was glassing.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 12:59:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Good job. I wish I had the freezer space to go hunting. I always look forward to your reports.

MAHA
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 1:03:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 5:03:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice.  Wish I was still physically able to hunt.  I miss it immensely.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 8:37:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice pics and a great looking buck!
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:42:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 5:26:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Are you able to get a mobility impaired certification?
I'd maybe be able to help out if it wasn't to far away.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I have the mobility impaired card.  All it does is allows you to shoot from the vehicle.  The entire going hunting thing is too much anymore.  I couldn't drag even a small deer more than ten feet if I tried.  Thanks for the offer, though, Matt.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 8:02:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Spent the last couple days doing the euro mount for the deer.  First time doing one, but didn't feel like spending $300 to have it done for such a small deer.  Here is the finished product.

Link Posted: 12/11/2015 11:57:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Did you use beetles or the boiling method. Looks as white and clean as the mounts I got in Germany while I was stationed there.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 12:24:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Caped it out and removed eyeballs and as much flesh as possible.  Then pushed a narrow cut off hose into the cranium and blasted the water to remove brain.  There are some videos on how to do it.  Wear safety glasses and gloves.  Brains can get a little messy.  

Then I simmered it in a pot with a good bit of Dawn dish soap and borax.  Not sure how long for the first simmer.  Over an hour.  Then I just used pliers and picks and wire brushes to get as much flesh out as possible.  Simmered at least once more, maybe twice and repeat the pliers, picks and wire brush treatment.  Then just the garden hose with a pressure nozzle to get all the pieces out of all the crevces and holes.  

Once all the flesh was removed, I mixed 40% hydrogen peroxide crème with Clairol Brite White powder.  Just mix the two together into a paste.  Brushed that all over the skull, after taping off the base of the antlers with electrical tape.  I poured liquid 40% hydrogen peroxide into some of the harder to reach areas.  Let it sit over night and then washed it off.  Really whitened it up nicely.  The two front teeth were a little loose and some of the nose bones.  Some super glue took care of those issues.

Head was still fresh(ish) when I started.  If it had been "ripe", it would have been a different story.

EDIT:  I looked into starting a beetle colony.  More work than it would be worth for me.  And the smell would be an issue.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 12:40:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Nice job.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 1:05:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Had 24 pounds of summer sausage made up.  So tasty.  This is one of the mildest tasting deer I've had in a while.
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 12:49:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yeah, I have the mobility impaired card.  All it does is allows you to shoot from the vehicle.  The entire going hunting thing is too much anymore.  I couldn't drag even a small deer more than ten feet if I tried.  Thanks for the offer, though, Matt.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure where you're at, but I've got UTV's if you ever want to go, hell you can borrow it if I can't make it.   I love to get out of the house for anything hunting related.  I'm in SE NM if you ever wan't to go shoot anything, IM me if you are and we'll go kill some birds on private land.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top