Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2015 9:41:21 PM EDT
I know y'all have substantially more public land than TX, and I'm looking at getting out of town around then.

I've noticed Red River sits right in the middle of a National Park / Monument.

Is it alright to take a rifle hiking around the mountains there? How about taking game like Hogs and Coyotes? (In TX, hogs and coyotes are open season.) Might be bringing a suppressor (if ATF clears my Form 4 by then) and probably my PVS 14.

Any good trails to take?

I've been to Red River, NM before; however, I was about 5 years old at the time. I don't remember too much being 22 now.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 4:39:59 PM EDT
[#1]

Feral hogs are non-game animals with no season. New Mexico residents do not need a license to take nongame species but nonresidents need either a Nonresident Nongame License or a current nonresident hunting license to hunt them.  Doubt if you'll find any up around Red River, though.  They are mostly coming up from Texas through the Pecos River valley watershed.  Some have made it farther west into the mountains around Ruidoso.  Coyotes are basically everywhere but they too require some kind of license.  Don't know about any trails up that way. You'll be coming during big game season so I'd be careful about using a night vision scope without first checking with the local game warden.    

Link Posted: 9/14/2015 2:00:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry I kinda zoned off there, got sidetracked with a few other things and forgot about the thread.

What if I'm not really wanting to hunt so much as just carry a rifle for defense purposes? Or really just because I like to have one when out in the country...

I also noticed that the particular land around Red River is actually Rio Grande Del Norte national monument. I've been to their page and it doesn't say that hunting and firearms isn't permitted... I know that some national monuments do not permit you to carry a firearm into them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top