Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2015 8:31:04 PM EDT
I'll be there and I'm sure some of you will be out too.  Let's put all the photos in this thread as well as any other comments you want to make.  Dove breast stuffed with green chili and peperjack cheese on the barbeque is FANTSTIC!! It's my own concoction.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 11:59:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 1:46:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll be out there.  At least for opener and a few evening hunts.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 4:06:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Backyard is full of them, especially those Eurasians.  

Trap or pellet gun is the question.  And, yes, my cat still kills more of them a year than any of us do in a season.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 5:46:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Backyard is full of them, especially those Eurasians.  

Trap or pellet gun is the question.  And, yes, my cat still kills more of them a year than any of us do in a season.
View Quote

Eurasians are kosher to hunt year round with a pellet gun.  

Last year I didnt do well, not for lack of trying just couldnt bag out.  I think I got 6 the whole year.  Not sure if I am going to try again this year.

MAHA
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 11:54:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Helluva a lot of 'em storming thru here (old Placitas) this week. Some headed the back way around the mountain, but most seem headed towards the Bosque.

And they are fat buggers this year!

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 3:19:23 PM EDT
[#6]
If anyone gets wind of a place to shoot them within an hour of ABQ let me know.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:22:34 PM EDT
[#7]
If it doesn't rain all of September like it did last year I will be out shooting those feathered guided missiles every weekend.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:45:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:15:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:17:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Sitting on a windmill.  Waiting.  Two have come in.  Two have gone in the bag.  Little breezy for my taste.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:25:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Not to bad for hunting mid day. I could have had more, but it was getting pretty hot.
I couldn't find 2, but I did manage to bring home 10
<a href="http://s711.photobucket.com/user/nmwaterfowler/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150901_142811_zpsqjbshtuq.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww114/nmwaterfowler/Mobile%20Uploads/20150901_142811_zpsqjbshtuq.jpg</a>
View Quote

I'm jealous
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:51:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Got 15 tonight in Las cruces
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:18:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Ended up with 12.  Was a good time.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:37:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I got three and didn't leave the yard.

Thinking about making a chicken wire bird trap.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:15:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've got a wire trap you can borrow if you want it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:35:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Stuck at the office.

A pair landed right at my feet in the parking lot yesterday afternoon, strutting around just like smart-ass pigeons.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:40:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, Allen.  I went to Lowe's last night and got the chicken wire, two by twos and hook nails.  Should have it done by this weekend.
I'm going to put the seed block inside of it for maximum effect.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:19:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:57:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

#3 may apply in this case
<a href="http://s711.photobucket.com/user/nmwaterfowler/media/image.jpg1_zpsnnwxc25z.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww114/nmwaterfowler/image.jpg1_zpsnnwxc25z.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, Allen.  I went to Lowe's last night and got the chicken wire, two by twos and hook nails.  Should have it done by this weekend.
I'm going to put the seed block inside of it for maximum effect.

#3 may apply in this case
<a href="http://s711.photobucket.com/user/nmwaterfowler/media/image.jpg1_zpsnnwxc25z.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww114/nmwaterfowler/image.jpg1_zpsnnwxc25z.jpg</a>

Thanks, Matt.  I will have to talk to Game and Fish to see if this applies to my situation.  I know some rules do not apply to private property.
ETA:  I wonder if #1 applies to midgets shooting from boats.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:07:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Called G&F and talked to a game warden.  He laughed and said, 'Yeah, I bet there are thousands of people using traps or pellet guns in their backyard'.  He said enforcing that rule on private property would be harder than pulling teeth from an alligator.  A trap in your yard is totally legal. He said unless a game warden is peeking over your fence when you kill a game bird, you aren't breaking the law.  So, release the game birds and you are okay.  Eurasians aren't game.  Guess this means only the pigeons and Eurasian get there heads twisted off and all others get a full pardon.

Link Posted: 9/5/2015 3:01:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 3:35:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Did he say anything about your cat?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Called G&F and talked to a game warden.  He laughed and said, 'Yeah, I bet there are thousands of people using traps or pellet guns in their backyard'.  He said enforcing that rule on private property would be harder than pulling teeth from an alligator.  A trap in your yard is totally legal. He said unless a game warden is peeking over your fence when you kill a game bird, you aren't breaking the law.  So, release the game birds and you are okay.  Eurasians aren't game.  Guess this means only the pigeons and Eurasian get there heads twisted off and all others get a full pardon.

Did he say anything about your cat?

I didn't tell him about that.  I know they would storm my yard all dressed in full combat kit and shoot him.

He gave me one this morning while I was having my coffee and reading the paper.  Big, fat one, missing it's head.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 1:12:47 AM EDT
[#23]
I had planned on going out today but stayed in bed sick.

Gonna go tomorrow if it kills me.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 9:43:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 3:01:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Got my limit Sunday evening. Thirteen mornings and two white wings.

Link Posted: 9/8/2015 4:07:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 4:59:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

congrats ninja!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Got my limit Sunday evening. Thirteen mornings and two white wings.

http://i.imgur.com/zkXmiPoh.jpg wings.

congrats ninja!

Thanks! Shot these down south. I still need to find me a good spot up this way near Abq.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 11:34:40 AM EDT
[#28]
I got 7 more last night in addition to the 11 I got the same night ninja99 got his 15, I thought I was doing good that night and then he walked by saying he had his limit and was going to start cleaning
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 11:15:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Did pretty good this weekend. There just does not seem to be as many dove this year as in years past.

But from what I have seen this year will be awesome for quail. They are everywhere around these parts.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 1:50:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 2:07:58 PM EDT
[#31]

Well, I started this thread so I guess I should add my own picture.  Went south a ways and found a lot of doves.  In fact, my buddy and I stopped hunting after 2 days because we got tired of cleaning doves!  Seriously, where we hunted there were tons of Eurasians and even though we shot a lot of doves, we NEVER got a limit each day we hunted.  But then Eurasians are nice, they fly a little slower and actually have a little bit of white meat right next to the breast bone.  This picture shows what I shot in about an hour and a half on opening day morning using my 28 ga over/under.  I was going to switch to my 410 until I looked at the cost of ammo so I decided to just stick with the 28 ga which is easier to reload.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top