Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2015 2:46:12 PM EDT
Has anyone been able to figure out what the application process actually is for honorably discharged former military members to get a NM CHL? Mine expired a few months ago, and although I understand that a recent change to the law means I no longer have to take a class or pay an application fee, the NM DPS website is not very helpful in outlining what I need to do.

The downloadable application form seems to have last been updated in 2007, so it doesn't take into account the changes in the law.

I emailed and called NM DPS CHL unit to ask the same thing, but as they tend to be very backlogged, I thought I might get a faster response here.

Link Posted: 7/15/2015 8:03:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Got a reply from DPS.

The process is the same as for anyone else, except I need not send in a fee, and I need to include a copy of my DD-214.

So, do the forms from the website as anyone would, and get fingerprints ($44, which seems steep, but apparently there's no choice).  Send in the paperwork and wait.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 5:33:46 PM EDT
[#2]
More bits of info you may find useful:

1) The "Authorization for Release of Medical Information" is not required, and so does not need to be either signed or notarized.

2) If you're applying as an honorably discharged veteran, you can use a special code to get fingerprinted through the Cogent ID website.  The ORI is NM920272Z.  You can find it through the search feature by searching "DPS CCW LAW ENF APP".  That will save you a few bucks.  Wish I'd known this, could've saved $44.  Oh well.

3) If you live in or near Albuquerque, you should make time to go apply in person at the NM CHL SID office (6301 Indian School Rd NE #310, Albuquerque, NM 87110).  They will need to look at your original birth certificate, but they will return it to you right away.  That sure beats mailing it in, and hoping it doesn't get lost when they mail it back.

They are currently taking about 30 days to get new CHL's mailed out.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 3:16:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
More bits of info you may find useful:

1) The "Authorization for Release of Medical Information" is not required, and so does not need to be either signed or notarized.

2) If you're applying as an honorably discharged veteran, you can use a special code to get fingerprinted through the Cogent ID website.  The ORI is NM920272Z.  You can find it through the search feature by searching "DPS CCW LAW ENF APP".  That will save you a few bucks.  Wish I'd known this, could've saved $44.  Oh well.

3) If you live in or near Albuquerque, you should make time to go apply in person at the NM CHL SID office (6301 Indian School Rd NE #310, Albuquerque, NM 87110).  They will need to look at your original birth certificate, but they will return it to you right away.  That sure beats mailing it in, and hoping it doesn't get lost when they mail it back.

They are currently taking about 30 days to get new CHL's mailed out.
View Quote

Great info.  Thank you very much.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 12:05:20 AM EDT
[#4]
No problem.  The new law was implemented very recently, and the CHL division is pretty much figuring it out as they go.  I think they don't have an actual website master, so it might be some time before the DPS CHL unit website gets updated with more specific and helpful information.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 11:02:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Fwiw I applied on 17 July. I'll post here when I get my CHL in the mail.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 12:04:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I asked a local CCW instructor about this. He said that you had to have ETS within the last ten years. Did DPS say anything about this?
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 12:23:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I asked a local CCW instructor about this. He said that you had to have ETS within the last ten years. Did DPS say anything about this?
View Quote

You must have been honorably discharged within twenty years, actually.  From DPS' website:

Letter to CHL instructors regarding new laws
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 6:26:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the link.

"Application fee and training courses are not required for Military personnel or Military persons, however a firearms training course will have to be taken for those who have been discharged from military service more than twenty years of the application for their initial license or renewal."

It seems that neither a training course or the fee is required if you ETS'ed within the last twenty years. If you got out more than twenty years ago, only training will be required. Am I reading it correctly?
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 6:07:19 AM EDT
[#9]
This was not well thought out.  To bypass CCW training for ex-military is a horrible decision.  Military training for handguns is almost non-existent for many, not to mention that carrying a firearm in a war situation is completely different than carrying in a American city.
In the military I qualified with the 1911, S&W Mod 10 and the Beretta.  The training consisted of, how to load it, work the controls, get on the firing line and fire some rounds.  That's it.   Thinking back on it, for the 1911 and .38 I got zero instruction on any part of those sidearms.  I had to ask another soldier to learn how to take the .45 apart.   I realize that the CCW class won't teach you haw to work your handgun but they do go over the laws.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:44:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I had asked the same question about what was required of me since I was discharged (retired) 21 years ago.  The answer I got was I had to take a 4-hr firearms course.  I hope that's correct.  Problem is, no one really seems to know much about this.  My wife's been bugging me to get a CHL and I thought this would be a good time to do so.  I'll see if I can find that email I got back from Santa Fe on this but I may have deleted it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:41:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Talk to CQ on here.  He has a class set up that covers the laws, finger print and notary for .mil folks.

MAHA
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:05:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Good, but you don't need a notary.  Info on the DPS CHL website is still outdated; you don't need the "Authorization for release of health information" form at all, which was the only form that required notarization.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 7:45:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Holy crap, that was quick!  Got my new CHL in the mail today.  That's basically a 2-week turnaround, as they likely mailed it late last Friday (based on getting delivered Monday).
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 4:04:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I emailed the NMDPS about clarification on the 20 year mark.  This is what I received:

Anyone with military background are no longer required to pay a license fee, regardless of time retired. If a person has been retired more than 20 years they must take a 4 hour refresher class. They will pay the fees to take a course and the $8.30 background check fee, however there will be no charge for a license.

Link Posted: 8/12/2015 6:23:20 PM EDT
[#15]
That's exactly the answer I got if you go up about 5 posts.  However, when I asked CQ about it, he didn't seem to know about it.  Just did my fingerprint card.  Does anyone know about the 4-hr course?
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 8:43:33 PM EDT
[#16]
The only  4 hour course in New Mexico is the qualification and legal review for a renewal.

The law states unequivocally, retired within 20 years.

Link Posted: 8/13/2015 8:45:33 PM EDT
[#17]
I called DPS and they said 'they would check.'

I have asked for a definitive answer in writing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top