Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2015 2:54:13 PM EDT
Hello all,

ive lived in Rio Rancho all of my life, but cannot find any public target shooting areas that arent ranges. Can anyone help me out and tell me of any. I know Bernalillo county doesnt allow any shooting anymore. ive heard of some people talking about areas near 550, but also heard the route 66 was not a public range. Can anyone help me out to find a legal place that i can shoot at, not looking to make a mess as i pick up all my brass and trash; just want to take a couple friends and shoot some targets and ar500 plates.

Thanks in advance all
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 8:30:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 12:10:43 AM EDT
[#2]
There are a few spots on BLM land past (south) the White Mesa bike trails off of 550.  Past the parking areas/trail heads - someone else may be able to give exact GPS data.  I don't have the sat image files with me....
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 3:10:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are a few spots on BLM land past (south) the White Mesa bike trails off of 550.  Past the parking areas/trail heads - someone else may be able to give exact GPS data.  I don't have the sat image files with me....
View Quote

Just follow the trail of trash and you will find it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 9:59:01 AM EDT
[#4]
35.482931, -106.847934

Lots of places around here.  And yes, look for the trash.

35.491683, -106.858187

35.489004, -106.858291

The last two places might require some ground clearance.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:18:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I am unfamiliar with that areas far as ownership/BLM go.   But please send me a PM and I can get maps in any area you would like with stated ownership on them printed up for you.   Little buzzed right now so not capable of pulling up a map in you're area showing what you seek.  But I have guys at the office who can do it in a matter of minutes.  If you know the township section range  i can have ownership transposed onto it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:46:21 PM EDT
[#6]
The state hunting and fishing manual has a map of BLM land in it that is ok to hunt or shoot on.

One of my friends had an app on his phone that showed land according to GPS. May be an option to look into also.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:07:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:04:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Do you remember the name of the app?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The state hunting and fishing manual has a map of BLM land in it that is ok to hunt or shoot on.

One of my friends had an app on his phone that showed land according to GPS. May be an option to look into also.

Not sure if this is the same one but the BLM has maps available for download here: http://www.nm.blm.gov/huntingUnitMaps/fullSite/fullSite.html and they can be loaded in the app CarryMap Observer
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:06:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 4:21:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BackcountryNavigator GPS Pro is what I used to use.  It has downloadable map overlays.  There is a very good land status overlay for this app.  It also shows private land boundaries.  Very detailed.  But it's android only, if that makes a difference.  Not free, but was money well spent.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top