Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2015 12:36:02 AM EDT
Greetings -

I just spent the last week in New Mexico.  It was recently added to my management territory.  I have never been so enamored with a place in all my life.  The environment, the people, just the general atmosphere was awesome.  People joke about "dry" heat, but that is legitimate.  I live in the Mississippi Delta and when it gets to be around 80* with humidity, it is almost unbearable; 93* from ABQ to Las Cruces and back and I would call it a nice day.  The views - I have never in my life pulled off the highway just to take in the vista, but I did this week.

I will visit a few more times before I make up my mind, but right now I am almost certain that I will be moving to the ABQ area.  While my territory is the whole state, my wife has to work from an office and the only one is in ABQ - otherwise, I may look somewhere smaller.  Even though I live in a larger city than ABQ now.  I have always been jealous of y'all out west with BLM land, so this is a great opportunity for me.  I read the sticky and a couple of the threads, and spoke to several locals and the general consensus was that "if it isn't posted..."  I did see a really neat new community going up in Placitas (? - across 25 from Bernalillo).  Is there anywhere else near ABQ that is set up on hills (if anyone knows where I am talking about)?

I will probably ask some questions if I do make the decision to move, but until then, I would just thank the state for a great week.  I felt very welcomed, not just by the people but by the whole environment.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 1:29:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm glad you liked the Land of Entrapment. NM is a beautiful place, there is some great scenery here and the low humidity makes hiking and other outdoor activities enjoyable. We have some of the best fishing and elk hunting anywhere. The food is great too, you'll get used to sopapillas and green chile living here. Albuquerque is a good place, lots to do round here. Placitas has been around forever, it's not really that great of a place to live, it's boring and expensive.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 4:35:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Albuquerque is not a bad place to live.  The Northwest area is the newest and nicest.  But, if you can afford it, the East mountain area is even better.  Edgewood, Moriarty and the other little communities on the East side of the mountain can give you solitude.  A four hour or less drive from Albuquerque can get you into some of the nicest salmon and trout fishing in the country.  We have some of the country's best Elk hunting within a two hour drive of here.

Yeah, Albuquerque Police Department likes to shoot the homeless and mentally ill. But, they haven't shot me, yet. Every encounter I have had with them has been great.  If you live in a great community, property crime is low.  Lots of people think that there isn't much to do in town.  Those are the people who sit at home and don't bother to leave the house.  The Botanical gardens are a great place to visit, almost year 'round.  The spring winds are a pain in the butt.  New Mexican food is the best.  Just get used to the question:  Red or Green?  The selection of foreign cuisine here is a bit lame.  For a military town, the selection of Asian cuisine is very sparse.

As far as shooting ranges, I recommend joining Zia.  $140 a year and the only time it is closed is every Wednesday morning, for maintenance.  Illegal to shoot on any of the BLM land in Bernalillo county, but there is some nice BLM land just North of town that myself or any of the other members here would gladly show you.

If your job requires you to visit most of the towns in the state, get ready for some long, boring rides.  I suggest audio books or satellite radio.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 1:43:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Albuquerque is not a bad place to live.  The Northwest area is the newest and nicest.  But, if you can afford it, the East mountain area is even better.  Edgewood, Moriarty and the other little communities on the East side of the mountain can give you solitude.  A four hour or less drive from Albuquerque can get you into some of the nicest salmon and trout fishing in the country.  We have some of the country's best Elk hunting within a two hour drive of here.

Yeah, Albuquerque Police Department likes to shoot the homeless and mentally ill. But, they haven't shot me, yet. Every encounter I have had with them has been great.  If you live in a great community, property crime is low.  Lots of people think that there isn't much to do in town.  Those are the people who sit at home and don't bother to leave the house.  The Botanical gardens are a great place to visit, almost year 'round.  The spring winds are a pain in the butt.  New Mexican food is the best.  Just get used to the question:  Red or Green?  The selection of foreign cuisine here is a bit lame.  For a military town, the selection of Asian cuisine is very sparse.

As far as shooting ranges, I recommend joining Zia.  $140 a year and the only time it is closed is every Wednesday morning, for maintenance.  Illegal to shoot on any of the BLM land in Bernalillo county, but there is some nice BLM land just North of town that myself or any of the other members here would gladly show you.

If your job requires you to visit most of the towns in the state, get ready for some long, boring rides.  I suggest audio books or satellite radio.
View Quote

Thank you for the info.  I have 22 states now, so lots of long boring drives... If you mean between ABQ and Las Cruces, I found that very enjoyable.  Way better than driving across TN, AR, OK, or LA (LA is the worst).  Are the ranges like Zia static ranges or do they allow more dynamic movements?
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 2:41:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Just wait until you have time to meet our women.

Link Posted: 6/7/2015 3:00:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

'specially if you like them plump.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 3:04:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thank you for the info.  I have 22 states now, so lots of long boring drives... If you mean between ABQ and Las Cruces, I found that very enjoyable.  Way better than driving across TN, AR, OK, or LA (LA is the worst).  Are the ranges like Zia static ranges or do they allow more dynamic movements?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm talking more about any drive on the Eastern part of the state.  Nothing to look at, but cows and oil rigs and the smell that accompanies them.

Zia has all kinds of action shoots.  You can check it out at www.ziarifleandpistolclub.com
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 4:00:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sickness for the thickness.  Married tho FWIW...
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 11:07:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't forget the eyebrows drawn on with a sharpie, lip liner, giant hoop earrings, three baby daddys, and the obligatory conspicuous mole on the cheek.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 11:09:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Don't forget the eyebrows drawn on with a sharpie, lip liner, giant hoop earrings, three baby daddys, and the obligatory conspicuous mole on the cheek.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The bigger the hoop...
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 3:15:47 AM EDT
[#10]
You will need to learn the lingo, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IucBp1yrr7A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5Yy0iWVC00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5Yy0iWVC00

ENJOY
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 7:45:25 PM EDT
[#11]
If you move here, what is your budget for a house?
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 7:48:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

300'ish
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 8:46:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

300'ish
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

300'ish

Then you want the far NE Heights.
That kind of price will get you near the foothills, look along the Tramway Blvd corridor from Spain north past Paseo.
Although you can find some good stuff to the South too so long as you stay East of Tramway Blvd.
It will also get you the views you mentioned, both of the Sandias as well as of the city.
Im up by the Tram and and love mountain/city views and having mountain access literally right outside my back door.

For home buying in your price and based on what you describe... SE Sucks, SW Sucks, and NW Sucks, the only exceptions are if you can get along the bluffs or certain parts of the river. Rio Rancho also sucks for the most part. Corrales and Los Ranchos are also nice, in Placitas you might find something very entry level in that price range. East Mountains are nice but you lose a lot of the 'high desert' feel.

Another area to consider is north of 550 along Hwy 4 including the Ponderosa area, its barely 45min from downtown and its a wonderful area.
Its also a great stepping off place for everything I mentioned here:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_48/581306_Road_trip_from_TX_in_late_fall___what_should_we_check_out_on_the_way_through_NM_.html&page=1#i6429828
All within about 90min.

I can also clue you in to a few nearby nice, rural, and free shooting locations that are private 99% of the time, all with great scenery.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 8:50:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That kind of price will get you near the foothills, look along the Tramway Blvd corridor from Spain north past Paseo.
Although you can find some good stuff to the South too so long as you stay East of Tramway Blvd.
It will also get you the views you mentioned, both of the Sandias as well as of the city.
Im up by the Tram and and love mountain/city views and having mountain access literally right outside my back door.

For home buying in your price and based on what you describe... SE Sucks, SW Sucks, and NW Sucks, the only exceptions are if you can get along the bluffs or certain parts of the river. Rio Rancho also sucks for the most part. Corrales and Los Ranchos are also nice, in Placitas you might find something very entry level in that price range. East Mountains are nice but you lose a lot of the 'high desert' feel.

Another area to consider is north of 550 along Hwy 4 including the Ponderosa area, its barely 45min from downtown and its a wonderful area.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

300'ish

Well, have to dig deeper then...  400ish?
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 9:09:11 PM EDT
[#15]
For Placitas?
Yes 300-400 will start to get you into some nice homes with good views.
We own several pieces of property there that we bought back in the 80's when $5k/acre was looked at as an outrageous asking price.
Now that it built up and full of mostly smug liberals it can easily fetch $50-100k/acre depending on location.
Wanna buy some vacant land....?  ;-D

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

300'ish

Link Posted: 6/8/2015 9:58:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
For Placitas?
We own several pieces of property there that we bought back in the 80's when $5k/acre was looked at as an outrageous asking price.
Now that it built up and full of mostly smug liberals it can easily fetch $50-100k/acre depending on location.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
For Placitas?

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

300'ish

Not sure on Placitas, I mean smug liberals doesn't sound too appealing :)  Now if you had said Libertarians...  It's about the only thing that I saw when I was visiting.  Most of my time was spent in or around my hotel conducting business or driving to another city - trying to hire some people for P/T.  I did like how they sat up on the hills, but once you got to the top, you could see that they were building them right on top of one another.  If we do move, good schools are a must and I think the Bernilillo Middle and High didn't rate too high.  So, an adobe style house in a nice area with a little space between the neighbors, with mountain views, 30-60 minutes from ABQ.  and maybe a pool :)  
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 11:22:36 PM EDT
[#17]
If you love your kids you won't let them go to Bernalillo public schools. I actually lived in Bernalillo growing up but I went to school at Sandia Prep.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 4:34:07 PM EDT
[#18]
I lived in ABQ for 15 years and recently moved 20 minutes south in the Bosque Farms area.  Since you mentioned you don't mind a small commute, but sure to check out this area and as already mentioned dont' forget the east mountain region.  Both are very nice, BF area has nice river access (and good duck hunting if you like that), and lots of water and green pastures.  East mountains is more foresty, but equally nice just different.  Both anywhere from a 20-30 minute commute.

Link Posted: 6/11/2015 6:50:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I lived in ABQ for 15 years and recently moved 20 minutes south in the Bosque Farms area.  Since you mentioned you don't mind a small commute, but sure to check out this area and as already mentioned dont' forget the east mountain region.  Both are very nice, BF area has nice river access (and good duck hunting if you like that), and lots of water and green pastures.  East mountains is more foresty, but equally nice just different.  Both anywhere from a 20-30 minute commute.

View Quote

Yes Bosque Farms has great access to all the meth labs and illegals
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 1:12:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

30 minutes is perfect.

How much to live on mountain?  Only kind of joking.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top