Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2015 11:46:21 AM EDT
So I'm from San Antonio but working in Santa Teresa and while driving down 178 I see people shooting on what I assume in BLM land/public land. What is the legality of this? Can I go shoot as well? Is shooting an AR frowned upon?
Is there somewhere in the area I can go to shoot farther? Finally I've read up on getting a non resident permit for coyote hunting, is there a perticularly good place for this?

Thanks for any help, we don't have much public land in Texas and what is I'd be hesitant to use, plus it's quite the drive.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 2:01:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Basically all BLM land is open to target shooting in NM. You only have to follow state laws about where you can discharge weapons in relation to buildings/roads/etc. These should help:

http://www.blm.gov/nm/st/en/prog/recreation/recreation_activities/target_shooting.html
http://law.justia.com/codes/new-mexico/2011/chapter30/article7/section30-7-4

The one exception I know about is Bernalillo County bans all shooting everywhere that isn't a designated range. You won't need to worry about that down here in the free part of the state though
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 2:22:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Castiel pretty much hit the nail on the head.

As far as your non resident coyote license, any sporting goods store (Walmart included) or online at NM Dept of fish and game dot com.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 5:20:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top