Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2015 3:10:48 AM EDT
So I was looking to get into the AK scene? Anyone got a good place to look locally? I'm in the albuquerque area. Thanks for any info!
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 2:09:57 PM EDT
[#1]
There really are no shops locally that do really good with AK's other than Tactical Survival Systems. And the owner can be, well...., opinionated from time to time. The other shops will have odds and ends and a few guns here and there. At least from my travels thru ABQ and RR. What exactly are you looking for, or are you just looking to put your hands on a buncha different guns to see what you like?
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 4:10:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Honestly would like an arsenal... Buy once, cry once... However a sig mk25 would be nice to.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 7:47:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I second that there are no real AK expert shop owners here in ABQ...probably a few folks that think they are.  IMHO, Atlantic Firearms (google them) is probably the best place to buy a high quality AK right now.  Around here your going to mostly just see the sub $700 stuff stocked and for $150 more than you can get it from Atlantic and without the bad advice along the way.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:47:29 PM EDT
[#4]
save your money and hold out for the arsenal if that's what you want.

I bought a SAM-7R about six months ago and love it.

it eats every brand of russkie steel cased ammo (non corrosive) I feed it.

like calviroman said, check out atlantic firearms. they carry a DDI milled heavy barrel AK for $800.00 (when they're back in stock).

don't own one but they seem to be a less expensive alternative to the arsenal.

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 3:43:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 12:36:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, in my opinion Arsenal, Krebs, and now even Definitive Arms are putting out what I would consider outstanding AK pattern rifles.  Its not that you can't get a properly spec'd, assembled, matched, and well fit sample from other vendors, its just less likely.  Keep in mind the cost of the base rifle, whether $500 or $1200, is effectively nothing when compared that to the cost of training/shooting over the course of a couple years, so there is no benefit and only fail in going cheap on the base rifle.

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 6:53:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I got a used arsenal from Ron Peterson's for 800. I would definitely recommend an arsenal if you can afford them. I know Peterson's has a saiga ak74 last time I was in.

Good luck
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:47:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the leads fellas. I did find that I could order an slr-107 for about 950... I didn't order it though as another member here made the recommendation that I get into stamp collecting ! So I set up my trust and will be submitting some form 1's probably Monday!
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 12:29:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the leads fellas. I did find that I could order an slr-107 for about 950... I didn't order it though as another member here made the recommendation that I get into stamp collecting ! So I set up my trust and will be submitting some form 1's probably Monday!
View Quote

Welcome to the adiction.

MAHA
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 1:47:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Recommend ordering an Arsenal SLR-107 - probably best out of the box value now.  A VEPR would be another choice, but require a few changes in order to get it up to speed.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 2:19:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Who was it here in the HTF that can do engraving for NFA stuff? I'm going to need his services.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 12:32:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Talk with Nick 99HMC4. He has his SOT and will do transfers. He also knows the engraver and is the best at CeraKote in ABQ.

MAHA
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 12:13:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks! I will do that. I am getting trust notarized tomorrow and hope to submit tomorrow night. Am I required to fund the trust with a dollar or can I put the three lowers I plan to SBR on the schedule A since I have the lowers in my possession. Also what model do I lost on form 1? ST-15? All lowers are spikes tactical.

ETA: So on my trust I cannot get the date to read March 11, 2015.... I type that in and it automatically changes the date to 3/11/15. Will this be an issue with the ATF or no?
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 4:39:23 PM EDT
[#14]
The date shouldnt matter.  

Use the model of whats on the lower, I think ST-15 is correct.  

You can fund the trust either way.  I always used the item if I was submitting a Form 1.

MAHA
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:20:47 PM EDT
[#15]
The lower says MOD-ST15... on the eform there is an option that is MODST15. Should I go with that since it is closest to what is on the lower and they don't use characters that aren't letters unless it is the . in 5.56 or 7.62? fixing to scan my trust and then attach it to the application. Just want to button up any issues so I don't have to wait longer than necessary
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 10:27:17 PM EDT
[#16]
MOD stands for Model.  Leave it out.  Just use ST15.

Remember just because it is in the drop down menu doesnt mean it is right.

MAHA
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 10:30:06 PM EDT
[#17]
thanks I will do that. fixing to send it off right now.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 9:35:18 AM EDT
[#18]
You get it submitted?

MAHA
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 11:09:57 PM EDT
[#19]
All of the Arsenals we've had at my shop have been awesome.
Geoff at work knows his commie crap guns very well and approves of my desire for an SLR-107.
DO IT!

-Lee
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 12:18:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Just submitted it now! I think I am going to follow it up with two more tonight! Thanks for fielding all my questions MAHA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top