Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2015 12:09:50 AM EDT
Any decent places I can take my family and do some primitive camping, shooting, and ride the ATV a little? We will be heading to Ft Bliss shortly and expect to spend a lot of time in the area to escape both the city and the heat.  As a note, we always pack out our trash and then some. Appreciate any suggestions!
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 2:10:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Any decent places I can take my family and do some primitive camping, shooting, and ride the ATV a little? We will be heading to Ft Bliss shortly and expect to spend a lot of time in the area to escape both the city and the heat.  As a note, we always pack out our trash and then some. Appreciate any suggestions!
View Quote

My favorite areas are any of the forest roads off of the sunspot highway between cloudcroft and sunspot
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:52:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Appreciate it. Any places where it's realistic to safely place steel out to say 300yds or so?
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:15:17 PM EDT
[#3]
In the Las Cruces area, there are acres of BLM land, that you could set up steel how ever far you want.  

My buddy and I go out at least monthly with our Jeeps, camp, shoot etc. we are always taking Soldiers from Bliss

Plenty of trails for ATVs

we post our schedule up here  Olskool4x4

Welcome to Ft. Bliss

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Appreciate it. Any places where it's realistic to safely place steel out to say 300yds or so?
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 11:17:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I have gone up there for years.
One good place is called Roger's Ruins. It is on forest road 64 down Agua Chiquita Canyon not far from the junction with Scott Able canyon. If you go up that road (it can be a little rough but nothing you can't get a pickup up) you get to a nice clearing that would fit the bill. The road ends at the clearing and there are good camping spots there.
Don't go up there on a holiday weekend though. Too many people.

Get a forest service map. There are a lot of places that are off the beaten path and some that can be a challenge to get to especially if it has rained.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 11:39:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
One good place is called Roger's Ruins. It is on forest road 64 down Agua Chiquita Canyon not far from the junction with Scott Able canyon. If you go up that road (it can be a little rough but nothing you can't get a pickup up) you get to a nice clearing that would fit the bill. The road ends at the clearing and there are good camping spots there.

Get a forest service map. There are a lot of places that are off the beaten path and some that can be a challenge to get to especially if it has rained.
View Quote

I have a stock 4x4 Ram 1500...  Looking to do some exploring but rock crawling isn't on the schedule. I'll do some exploring in the truck and on the dual sport before heading up there in the car (if we find any areas accessible by a fwd car...) Looking forward to getting out there!
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:03:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I have a stock 4x4 Ram 1500...  Looking to do some exploring but rock crawling isn't on the schedule. I'll do some exploring in the truck and on the dual sport before heading up there in the car (if we find any areas accessible by a fwd car...) Looking forward to getting out there!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stock 4x4 will get you most places you can drive in Lincoln National Forest. We take day trips up through there in my wife's Hyundai Santa Fe. It will get you into the spot I'm talking about.

About the only time I use 4x4 up there is if it rains for a few days or snows. Some of those canyon bottoms can be muddy but the forest service roads are for the most part kept in pretty good repair. Also most of the main roads that aren't paved are also county roads.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:22:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Shooting depends on where're you live, east and central el apso, most shoot out at red sands, but it can be high adventure (where most of my Soldiers shoot).  If you are on the West side , you can go shoot out near Kilbourne hole which is out in New Mexico.  Lincoln NF has some good camping locations.  I have used sites up around Cloudcroft.  I have driven in it with a stock Ram 2500 with no problems.  There are good shooting locations around Las Cruces as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top