Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2014 2:29:06 PM EDT
Right now I'm in the saving money stage to get my FFL and open my own shop here in Gallup. But the one thing this place truly lacks is any kind of armorer services. Any suggestions on which firearm and where some close by classes are at? I wouldn't mind doing Glock but according to their website I need a few requirements in order to get in vs Sig where I can be a no body and still do the classes.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 2:42:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Glock
M&P
AR15

Will cover all the major bases. If you really want to add Remington 700 and you should be able to take care of most issues you will find.

MAHA
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 5:04:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't mind doing Glock course at all. But from reading their prerequisites the easiest way would have my FFL first. just contacted Smith.  Any suggestions where to go for AR15?  Sig does but all their classes for them are in NH
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 6:07:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I think some of that would be driven by what comes in and out of your shop. But that is a skill set that takes time to get good at. Specially, if you are building a business on it.

Seems to me AR, 1911, Remington shotgun and long gun, Glock or M & P, and some revolver would cover a lot. If you get those down and understand them well, it would at least put you in the ballpark for most firearms.

Learn and know the cycle of operation. It will help you troubleshoot any problems you run into.

I don't get to choose. I go for all the firearm types in our inventory. I have to go to a lot of manufacturer sponsored classes for work, but most factory certification courses aren't very good. But if you are starting from scratch you can learn some things. In my experiance it all depends on luck for what instructor you get.

It sucks because there really is no "school" to go to for that. You could go to gunsmithing school but it sounds like that is more than you are looking for and it takes 2 years. If you were in ABQ I'd help you out. Maybe there are some guys out your way that can help.

Link Posted: 12/30/2014 6:43:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think some of that would be driven by what comes in and out of your shop. But that is a skill set that takes time to get good at. Specially, if you are building a business on it.

Seems to me AR, 1911, Remington shotgun and long gun, Glock or M & P, and some revolver would cover a lot. If you get those down and understand them well, it would at least put you in the ballpark for most firearms.

Learn and know the cycle of operation. It will help you troubleshoot any problems you run into.

I don't get to choose. I go for all the firearm types in our inventory. I have to go to a lot of manufacturer sponsored classes for work, but most factory certification courses aren't very good. But if you are starting from scratch you can learn some things. In my experiance it all depends on luck for what instructor you get.

It sucks because there really is no "school" to go to for that. You could go to gunsmithing school but it sounds like that is more than you are looking for and it takes 2 years. If you were in ABQ I'd help you out. Maybe there are some guys out your way that can help.

View Quote

I'll might have to take you up on your offer ABQ us only a couple hours away. I'm sending a PM now
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top