Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2014 10:28:46 PM EDT
I'm relatively new to the AR world, but not new to firearms. I have an M&P 15 Sport, which I'm in the process of modifying to fit my wants. I'm not a fan of the fixed A2 style gas block. I've heard it's extremely hard to remove it from other Smith and Wesson owners. Where can I get it removed by a professional, and also, would I be better off installing the new flat top gas block or to have the Gunsmith do it?
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:48:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know of a gunsmith, but I have a S&W M&P15 that I took the gas block off to convert it to a piston, I had NO problem what so ever taking the gas tube and front sight off

there are 2 pins that have to be punched out with a hammer and a punch, they only go out one way, take a look at and you will see what way they need to be punched out.

and yes, you should be able to put your new gas block on your self......

but if you have a gunsmith take the A2 off, he probably wont charge you too much to install the new one

should do it yourself, gain some experience, if all else fails you could bring it to the GS

take your time, a rubber mallet is your friend
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:53:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you, and nice CJ by the way. I've got a 93 Cherokee with a 4 in. lift and 33's
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 11:01:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, i's down south by Las Cruces, if you ever want to wheel give me a PM

My son has a 94, but just has 31s Cherokees are fun!!
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you, and nice CJ by the way. I've got a 93 Cherokee with a 4 in. lift and 33's
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 11:21:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Just shave it. It will keep its strength and you can fit it under a free float rail.

MAHA
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 8:58:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Just shave it. It will keep its strength and you can fit it under a free float rail.

MAHA
View Quote

The only issues I see with that it is not visually appealing, plus I've got a Magpul MOE forend that doesn't have a top rail to mount a BUIS
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 9:54:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The only issues I see with that it is not visually appealing, plus I've got a Magpul MOE forend that doesn't have a top rail to mount a BUIS
View Quote

I am sure we can dremel and JB weld it there....

It will probably take a couple of good whacks with a BFH...  Make sure it is supported with blocks and I would put it on concrete so you know all the force is going into the pins.  Also some are tapered so make sure you are going the right way... (I forget which way is correct)

MAHA
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:29:01 PM EDT
[#7]
How'd it go? Did you get it off ok?
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:16:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Squirt a little Liquid Wrench on it and let soak for a few hours.

The pins come out left to right (barrel pointing away) with just a couple of wacks with a rubber mallet and a 1/8th punch.

Eazy peezey, Japaneezey.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:49:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How'd it go? Did you get it off ok?
View Quote

The riser that came with my vortex spitfire provides enough clearance to where i don't even see the A2 post. Crisis avoided
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top