Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2014 10:40:37 PM EDT
I have a few Ar stripped lowers and I'd like to build me a AR pistol. Is there any magic that needs to be done in NEW Mexico to keep me from going to jail? I know that pistols do not need to be registered but is there anything that needs to be done since an AR lower is a receiver?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:09:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Nothing that needs to be done. Like you said no registration for and guns here in NM. Some LEO might be un sure on the laws that allow you to build and receiver into a pistol. But there isn't anything you can do about that. What are you building?

MAHA
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:14:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a couple AR's but have never built one from scratch so I'm going semi cheap on this first one as a proof of concept.
I have the billet Spartan upper and lowers from Joe Bob's and I found some $99 11.5" DPMS barrels on Midway. Do you have any suggestions or recommendations?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:36:51 AM EDT
[#3]
It all depends on what you want. A 12.5 will be reliable. I have an 11.5 SBR. It has run from the get go. When get down to a 10.5 or less they are really loud and can be hard to get running 100%.

I don't think you are going cheap with a billet receiver set.  

MAHA
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:51:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a 7.5" adams arms piston build that is 100% reliable. I have also built an 8.2" 300blackout and a 7.5" 6.8 spc pistol that are DI systems that have run flawlessly with factory ammo.  Need to try the reloads in them.  All run spikes pistol buffers and tubes with sig braces.  I lovemy AR pistols!
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:26:26 AM EDT
[#5]
how is the accuracy on these builds? I have been thinking of building a truck AR that I can get into action quickly for pesky coyotes and such. But have wondered how much the accuracy drops off with a barrel that short.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:47:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
how is the accuracy on these builds? I have been thinking of building a truck AR that I can get into action quickly for pesky coyotes and such. But have wondered how much the accuracy drops off with a barrel that short.
View Quote

I was consistently hitting steel targets at 400 yards with a red dot with mine. If I went with a 1-4x I think hits at 600 yards would be doable.

MAHA
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:42:39 PM EDT
[#7]
With my 7.5 with a vortex strikefire, i can hit a steel torso sized gong at 200yds at least 50% of the time from standing.  I have hit the same gong at 200yds with the 7.5" 6.8 spc with Hayes HK style iron sights 4/10 shots from standing.  Havent tried my blackout pistol at that range yet.

I was very impressed with the results.  I was using federal m855 62 gr. Rounds for the 5.56, Barrett factory 6.8 rounds for the other.

Hell, i can hit that gong with my yugo pap m92 ak pistol with iron sights without a brace and just pushing forward with a sling!

No fear about engaging 200yd targets. I havent tried beyond that yet.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:50:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Well PSA has some 10.5" uppers. I plan to wait until it goes on sale and in the mean time I'll finish my spartan lower. If the 7.5"s shoot well I imagine the 10.5 should be awesome.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:10:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Well PSA has some 10.5" uppers. I plan to wait until it goes on sale and in the mean time I'll finish my spartan lower. If the 7.5"s shoot well I imagine the 10.5 should be awesome.
View Quote

I have the 10.5" PSA upper. It shoots fine for what it is. Wait until it goes on sale for ~$300 and pounce.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:14:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I was consistently hitting steel targets at 400 yards with a red dot with mine. If I went with a 1-4x I think hits at 600 yards would be doable.

MAHA
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MAHA

What kind of hits are we talking about? Hits on an 8 foot diameter target? Maybe. Hits on a yote sized target? Not a chance.

I have put shots in a 4" ring (maybe even still a bit too large for yotes) at 600 yards with .223 ARs before but these were very, very well built 20-24" guns with precise handloads.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:47:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

What kind of hits are we talking about? Hits on an 8 foot diameter target? Maybe. Hits on a yote sized target? Not a chance.

I have put shots in a 4" ring (maybe even still a bit too large for yotes) at 600 yards with .223 ARs before but these were very, very well built 20-24" guns with precise handloads.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

MAHA

So what barrel and length for  yotes at 200yds? 300yds? any ideas?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:09:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

MAHA

Well, if you figure the kill zone on a yote is about a 3" diameter target then that's about 1.5 MOA at 200 yards and 1 MOA at 300 yards.

Shooting 1 MOA groups even at 100 yards is difficult without a decent 16" rifle shooting handloads. It becomes even more difficult at 300 yards.

Personally, I wouldn't go any less than a 16" 1:7 twist stainless steel barrel pushing 69gr or heavier bullets.

Can it be done with a shorter barrel? Maybe. But the velocity you give up will make it more and more difficult the further you go out.

I'd recommend going to range and shooting at 300 yards just to really understand what your rifle and you can really manage. It isn't easy.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:22:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

MAHA

Barrel length won't matter at those distances
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:23:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Well, if you figure the kill zone on a yote is about a 3" diameter target then that's about 1.5 MOA at 200 yards and 1 MOA at 300 yards.

Shooting 1 MOA groups even at 100 yards is difficult without a decent 16" rifle shooting handloads. It becomes even more difficult at 300 yards.

Personally, I wouldn't go any less than a 16" 1:7 twist stainless steel barrel pushing 69gr or heavier bullets.

Can it be done with a shorter barrel? Maybe. But the velocity you give up will make it more and more difficult the further you go out.

I'd recommend going to range and shooting at 300 yards just to really understand what your rifle and you can really manage. It isn't easy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

MAHA

Barrel length doesn't affect accuracy, only velocity.  At 200-300 yards you'll have plenty of velocity out of even a 10.5" barrel.  With a decent barrel and decent ammo 1moa is easy
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:50:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm with the 4XNugget--I think a 16" works at those ranges but if you want accuracy, try an 18" SPR free-floated barrel.  After all, they made those to reach out a little farther than the M16 or A14 (which works fine with a 20" non-free floated barrel and usually doesn't have a nice optic on it).
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:56:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

MAHA

300yds isn't a problem with my 18" SS BCM and 100yds is easy with most of my 16s but I am talking about a AR pistol.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:58:55 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a PSA 10.5 upper, and it run flawlessly with and w/o the my suppressor
Quoted:
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top