Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2014 10:43:37 PM EDT
Hey All,

I'm in Santa Fe for the week with my fiancé (I grew up nearby so I'm familiar with the area), she'd like to see (wild) Elk and 'Lope if possible and I'm looking for ideas.....

We will go to the Valles Caldera while we are here, and we'll try to a peek through the spotting scope at them.  We are also thinking of going to San Antonio mountain, which supposedly has one of the State's largest elk herds.

Anyone have other ideas or suggestions?

(I'm also aware that this week is Elk season - though, at least in Game Management Areas we'll be going, it's not Antelope season - and that it's prudent to check with the local authorities, and that the Elk may not be acting normal.....)
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 12:20:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Mt Antonio = good.  The road from Tres Piedras over and up to Chama. I get elk on my part time place in the fall. They like my stock tank, catching rain water off the cabin... West Taos county
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:35:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, Taosbob!  We did go looking and we saw plenty.  We ran into a herd of about twenty at night when we were driving home, and the dog went ape sh*t.  :). Definitely recommended.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:39:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I know my reply is late but drive north on 84 from Espanola to Chama and its a sure thing to see some elk and deer right on the road.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top