Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2014 6:46:35 PM EDT
Today, 11 Sept, has been a day of remembrance of all the people lost due to terrorists attacks.  While everyone has their own way to celebrate the typical custom nation wide is to lower our flags at half mast. Well in my town doesn't seem to click about that idea. So let me show you.

This is the Law Enforcement Center in Gallup notice flags aren't at half mast

This is my sons school. The irony out of this was I know Superintendent always sends memos when flags are to be at half mast (he declared half mast when the last windtalker died last year) It would've stayed like this until I mentioned it to them. Their excuse was in lack of so many words "we've been too busy". That picture was taken around 11:30am today. I know the Superintendent sent out a memo because my daughter's school had their flags at half mast.

This is Gallup Indian Medical Center (GIMC), and as you can see they only lowered the American flag but leave the state flag and Tribal flag at full mast. I did go inside to inform them and security said that they had no control on it maintenance had control the other flags. What it really sounded like to me was they wanted to blame someone else for their mistake.

While I am unsure if it is a nationwide thing at the very least it is a custom. What really add to the insult is this

Yes Gallup recently was voted "the most patriotic small town in America". City government was more worried about receiving a title then using taxpayer money to educate everyone on proper flag etiquette. This might not be a big deal to some, yet on the flip side when you have a title like that you should at least show it. Now this is a small example of many photos I took today. I even went to the local paper about it and asking them to print what I witness as well as an article on flag etiquette in the paper. I also posted some of these example on their facebook and see if I get a response from them.

Yes this is a rant didn't want to post this in GD.

Thanks for looking
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 12:46:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Gallup sucks.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:24:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Gallup sucks.
View Quote

No shit in fact I did make the front page on Friday paper about this. The mayor commented about it but was apologetic saying people are busy and forget. So much in showing patriotism

Like ive said before what makes this most patriot small town, I think our city government only wanted a title instead of "most pawn shops per sq/acre"
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 10:09:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Well as the fuckin mayor shouldn't he of sent out a memo or something, jeeez

I live close by a shithole of a town and even the schools had their flags halfmass
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 2:50:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Well as the fuckin mayor shouldn't he of sent out a memo or something, jeeez

I live close by a shithole of a town and even the schools had their flags halfmass
View Quote

I did get in the article in our paper and even the mayor commented. Heres the direct quote from the article:

Mayor Jackie McKinney said its a shame that more people didn't follow protocol, but he's forgiving of the oversight because people get busy in their lives and might not have time to stay informed about the procedures.

He goes on being quoted " Anybody flying the flag is already showing they're patriotic Americans and that they care about this country"

I really wish I had a follow up to this but from these comments he made he truly wanted a title for the town and that's it. In reality it makes me want to run for mayor.

ETA: As a side note we also have a plaque in the town for Hershey Miyamura saying he is a "Congressional Medal of Honor Winner". Didn't know you can win that.....

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 4:23:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Isn't your mayor involved with the annual "Run For The Wall" motorcycle ride to the Vietnam Veterans Wall in Washington DC every memorial day. I know he had something to do with it in the beginning but not sure if he still does. I asked him once why he worked so hard on organizing the ride, and if he was a veteran. He said he was not a veteran but thought the Vets and those that died for our country needed the recognition.
I give your mayor a pass on this one.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 9:20:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Isn't your mayor involved with the annual "Run For The Wall" motorcycle ride to the Vietnam Veterans Wall in Washington DC every memorial day. I know he had something to do with it in the beginning but not sure if he still does. I asked him once why he worked so hard on organizing the ride, and if he was a veteran. He said he was not a veteran but thought the Vets and those that died for our country needed the recognition.
I give your mayor a pass on this one.
View Quote

Not sure of his current involvement but He made a huge deal of getting Gallup voted this title. In my eyes he wants the recognition with none of the work. So with that in mind I can't give him a pass since we were just voted on this title this year.

ETA: Its kinda like how President Obama made a huge deal getting elected (both times) yet showed no leadership after being in office.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top