Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2014 7:58:47 PM EDT
So a customer of mine just got back from BCSO picking up his 4th F4 (suppressor). After 6 weeks of holding, the chiefs secretary told him the chief would not sign off "cause he doesn't feel comfortable". WTF??!! He already has 3 NFA stamps and has passed MANY 4473s....
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:35:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Unfortunately this is way most of CLEO are going even State Police are saying no.  I am thinking it is a move towards I don't want to be liable...

MAHA
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:19:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't they have to sign it if your legally able to have the item?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:30:35 AM EDT
[#3]
There is no law that says NFA is a shall issue like CHL. They can opt out since there may be other options...

MAHA
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:23:53 AM EDT
[#4]
What about APD?  Calibers seems to think all the CLEOs in the area around Albuquerque are signing off - guess this is not the case.  The NMSP used to be great with the old chief, but not so much with the new one.  Looks like the trust route needs to be done now.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:37:06 PM EDT
[#5]
It all changed in the last 3 to 6 months.  A trust is worth the money.

MAHA
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:49:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I went the trust route as well, it was worth the money not having to "get permission" from the state

Just picked up my can yesterday, Form 4 trust paper, took 8 months, but they are picking up YMMV

I did the Form 1 via eform, took about 60 days

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It all changed in the last 3 to 6 months.  A trust is worth the money.

MAHA
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:18:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Unfortunately this is way most of CLEO are going even State Police are saying no.  I am thinking it is a move towards I don't want to be liable...

MAHA
View Quote

They must be watching too much SOA thinking every outlaw runs around with a suppressor when committing firearm related crimes.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:16:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Anyone have any experience with 199trust.com? Currently gearhog has a deal on their trust. Normally $199 right now $69. Thoughts on online trusts?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:25:13 PM EDT
[#9]
IMO online trust are good to go, at least for the one I bought,  I bought mine from one of the site sponsors, The Silencer Shop, I have used it for an SBR and my Can, both were approved using this trust
Quoted:
Anyone have any experience with 199trust.com? Currently gearhog has a deal on their trust. Normally $199 right now $69. Thoughts on online trusts?
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:41:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
IMO online trust are good to go, at least for the one I bought,  I bought mine from one of the site sponsors, The Silencer Shop, I have used it for an SBR and my Can, both were approved using this trust
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you! I will have to give that a look tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:06:49 AM EDT
[#11]
There is a NM lawyer who will do it but it is $500ish. Let me know if you want his info.

MAHA
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:48:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, I ran into this problem about 5 years ago.  After that, I just went the trust route for my SBRs and suppressors--oh, I mean silencers, to use the BATFE's lingo.  Go with a trust while you still can since the BATFE's proposed new rule will make it harder on trusts and corporations.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 2:16:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Soooooo....what is the answer to the OPs question?  Who in ABQ will sign off on NFA items at this time?  I get the "go the trust route" thing and have one, but still is good to know what our options are if folks go the individual route.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 3:56:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Soooooo....what is the answer to the OPs question?  Who in ABQ will sign off on NFA items at this time?  I get the "go the trust route" thing and have one, but still is good to know what our options are if folks go the individual route.
View Quote

The answer is no one.

Unless NMSP start signing there is no way for an individual to get NFA paperwork signed in ABQ. Bern County Sherriff has been refusing to sign and referring people to the CoPolice for quite some time now. Former chiefs have signed, current will not.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 5:21:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

At this point why wouldn't you want to use a trust?  From what I gather it is a straight forward process to get one drafted up (online or a from a local NFA lawyer) and then you can allow other folks (trustees) use it if you weren't with them which would be nice if you have a family/signific other and best of all you won't have to be asking permission from your LEO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top