Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2014 11:27:56 AM EDT
Last night (technically 2 am this morning) I got freaked out.

I heard a lot of noise, loud noise so I thought I was having my house broken in. So I cleared my house and couldn't find anything, thank God. Still don't know what it was for all I know it couyld have came from my dogs who knows.

Nonetheless I stayed up a bit freaked out and my buddy was online so I talked to him (he lives in WI). He made the comment "Well if you had to use it, it would be a bitch to get your gun back" And that leads us to todays question.

"If you have to use your firearm in defense in the state of NM, would the police confiscate your firearm? If they do is it difficult to get your firearm back?

Any input would be great
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:48:35 PM EDT
[#1]
No matter  when/where you use it, expect your firearm to be held, as evidence, until case is closed.  This is from my neighbor, who is a NMSP officer.  That is why I use an inexpensive Mossy 500 for home defense.  Another thing he told me is to never, ever shoot for the head, as this means you meant to kill.  Emptying the mag into the torso means you meant to stop the assailant.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:53:03 PM EDT
[#2]
So after the case is closed ill get it back automatically or would I have to fight for it?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:48:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:24:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Glad everything was ok.

Don't use your favorite gun as home defense.
I would hate to loose a colt python, or grandpa's ww2 garand. Chances are, it will be in worse condition when you get it back.

I knew a guy who had a gun stolen from his truck. It was recovered a few days later, but it was held as evidence until after the trial. It was nearly 8 months until he got it back.
View Quote

Oh ok sounds like I should find a trade in Glock 17 or 22

Don't really want to loose my PPQ M1 (firearm I did use to clear the house)
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:40:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So after the case is closed ill get it back automatically or would I have to fight for it?
View Quote

Up to the DA and department that stole it from you.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:00:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Buddy had an ND and shot another buddy.  Cops kept the gun for about a year then handed it over with the bullets inside the station

Bullets out of the gun, but gave him both gun and bullets back in the station.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 1:27:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
No matter  when/where you use it, expect your firearm to be held, as evidence, until case is closed.  This is from my neighbor, who is a NMSP officer.  That is why I use an inexpensive Mossy 500 for home defense.  Another thing he told me is to never, ever shoot for the head, as this means you meant to kill. Emptying the mag into the torso means you meant to stop the assailant .
View Quote

Please tell me he no longer works for NMSP
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:30:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No matter  when/where you use it, expect your firearm to be held, as evidence, until case is closed.  This is from my neighbor, who is a NMSP officer.  That is why I use an inexpensive Mossy 500 for home defense.  Another thing he told me is to never, ever shoot for the head, as this means you meant to kill. Emptying the mag into the torso means you meant to stop the assailant .

Is this incorrect in NM?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:54:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Welcome to NM.  Yes, he is still with NMSP, going on 20 years now.  Haven't you figured out that the cops here are above the law?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 7:28:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Welcome to NM.  Yes, he is still with NMSP, going on 20 years now.  Haven't you figured out that the cops here are above the law?
View Quote

THAT, they are.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 5:40:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

THAT, they are.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

THAT, they are.

Specially the Navajo Cops
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 2:53:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I had a glock stolen from me years ago... gave serial number and everything in police report and kinda forgot about it. Insurance covered it. About 5 years later I was working at the police station (contractor) and thought about the glock. Called evidence and sure enough they had it. It was used in crime of some kind... about 8 phone calls, a little bit of paperwork, and 45 days later they gave it back to me!
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 3:19:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I had a glock stolen from me years ago... gave serial number and everything in police report and kinda forgot about it. Insurance covered it. About 5 years later I was working at the police station (contractor) and thought about the glock. Called evidence and sure enough they had it. It was used in crime of some kind... about 8 phone calls, a little bit of paperwork, and 45 days later they gave it back to me!
View Quote

So, when it was taken into evidence, nobody thought to run the serial number?  Shows you that department is inept.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top