Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2014 9:21:02 AM EDT
Since I'll be a resident of NM in a couple weeks I wanted to ask some questions to the HTF about CCW out here.

1) I understand that no weapons signs carry legal weight here. I read that in order to be legal they must be 144sq in. and have the name of the land owner and an address. Is this correct? And should one carry into say a store that has these signs posted and was somehow caught, I understand the crime is a trespass and petty misdemeanor. Is this also correct?

2) Do we have a list of places in Santa Fe where these signs are?

3) Is there a recommended CHL instructor in the HTF?

4) Does one have to take an actual CHL dedicated class or would an advanced pistol class suffice?

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 11:59:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Here is a great reference:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/newmexico.pdf

Yes the posted signs must be 144 square inches.  They have to comply with this law:

(1)     be printed legibly in English;   
(2)     be at least one hundred forty­four square inches in size;   
(3)     contain the name and address of the person under whose authority the property is posted or the name 
and address of the person who is authorized to grant permission to enter the property;   
(4)     be placed at each roadway or apparent way of access onto the property, in addition to the posting of the 
boundaries; and   
(5)       where  applicable,  state  any  specific  prohibition  that  the  posting  is  directed  against,  such  as  "no 
trespassing," "no hunting," "no fishing," "no digging" or any other specific prohibition.   

You can't be charged unless the owner tells you to leave and you fail to do so.  As long as you leave without putting up a fight then there won't be a problem.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 4:43:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here is a great reference:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/newmexico.pdf

Yes the posted signs must be 144 square inches.  They have to comply with this law:

(1)     be printed legibly in English;   
(2)     be at least one hundred forty­four square inches in size;   
(3)     contain the name and address of the person under whose authority the property is posted or the name 
and address of the person who is authorized to grant permission to enter the property;   
(4)     be placed at each roadway or apparent way of access onto the property, in addition to the posting of the 
boundaries; and   
(5)       where  applicable,  state  any  specific  prohibition  that  the  posting  is  directed  against,  such  as  "no 
trespassing," "no hunting," "no fishing," "no digging" or any other specific prohibition.   

You can't be charged unless the owner tells you to leave and you fail to do so.  As long as you leave without putting up a fight then there won't be a problem.
View Quote

Awesome, thanks for the clarification!
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 10:59:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Anyone know about 2-4?

And not to derail my own thread, but why can no one drive out here?!  No one can stay in their lane and all the slow pokes hog the left lane.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top