Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2014 11:33:31 AM EDT
Just out of curiosity, I am wondering what you guys think of shops that do not stand behind the products that they sell?  I am asking because I want to make sure that I don't overreact to a recent purchase that I made at Tactical Survival Systems in Albuquerque. Here's the deal: I have been doing quite a bit of work up in the heights for my job lately and I have been in and out of Tactical Survival Systems shop several times over the last couple of weeks because they are right down the street from where I am working at. I have spent around $13-1400 bucks in there during that time. Well, last Thursday I went in after work and was taking a look around in the knife section and a nice looking Balisong caught my eye. I inquired about this particular knife and the owner was going on and on about the quality of this knife and so I decided to purchase it for $189 cash. That was 2 days ago and this morning while I was flipping it open and closed while sitting in my favorite chair a screw in one of the knife handles broke and the knife came apart. Just like that, broke! I contacted Tactical Survival Systems to see if they would stand behind a product that they sold me and the owner basically just through his I don't give a "S" attitude at me and suggested that I drive 30mins to his shop to pick up the manufacturers info so that I can see if they would warranty it.

Now, before I react to this situation I would like to know how you guys would react? Am I a prick because I believe that a shop should stand behind the products that they sell? Or, am I right in thinking that they should? Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading:)

Link Posted: 6/14/2014 9:17:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had some bad experience there too. Not a $189 coin one, I bought a few jerry cans and know of the seal where stabled. Leaked gas everywhere. Told me to go to a third party to buy different gasket. I've spent about 500 bucks there and i wont shop there anymore. For the most part the owner takes himself very serious. the prices aren't good and he changes them alot, while that's capitalism, its how much should I charge for this today attitude. I'd try to get my money back, I doubt that quality of the knife is worth 189 buck, alot of his cool stuff is made in china and other countries of such.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 12:45:51 PM EDT
[#2]
A lot of it depends on who makes the product.  Some companies will give Dealers issues with return and such but will bend over backwards to help the customer.  If it were me I would have done what I could to help you out. Even if it was call the company on my phone to get parts ordered.

MAHA
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:38:30 PM EDT
[#3]
TSS is a store that I don't frequent for many reasons.

I say use this as a lesson in life and contact the manufacturer for replacement part.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 12:15:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 12:52:37 PM EDT
[#5]
My guess is it's a $10 knife online.  I'll be sure to stay away from that shop when I'm visiting ABQ
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:00:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My guess is it's a $10 knife online.  I'll be sure to stay away from that shop when I'm visiting ABQ
View Quote

If you can find a Balisong for $10 online, let me know.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 11:59:48 PM EDT
[#7]
You can get them from china for that price, found a few for under five. i hope this works out.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 4:16:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the input guys! I actually ended up having to fix it myself:/ This knife is actually $180 online but I was trying to support a local business owned by someone, that in the beginning, seemed like a stand up guy. Oh well, lesson learned!
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 8:24:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I made up that number but last time I checked http://www.bladeplay.com/ had some el cheapos
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:40:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I made up that number but last time I checked http://www.bladeplay.com/ had some el cheapos
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought a Balisong knockoff years ago for cheap.  Broke it in a matter of days.  Have owned a real Balisong for several years and couldn't break it if I wanted to.  You get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 11:31:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I bought a Balisong knockoff years ago for cheap.  Broke it in a matter of days.  Have owned a real Balisong for several years and couldn't break it if I wanted to.  You get what you pay for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, thats why I initially thought the shop was selling one of the cheap ones for $189 considering the way it broke.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 9:47:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Walked in there 2 weeks ago and asked if he had any el cheapo steel case 308 so I could go break in my new ptr91. He responds that with the ammo crisis still going strong, we aren't going to see any anytime soon. I asked if he was joking as it is available all over the place online right now but I would rather grab it from someone locally. As I'm walking out the door he tells the guy he's just bullshitting with that if it's available why am I in his shop. Are you kidding me? Fuck that. That guy is a prime example of why I do 95% of my business online. All of the local dealers I have been to still think its February 2013. Either they have no idea how to use the net, or they think the local consumers are just ignorant. The only 2 exceptions that I have been to are RRA and Bulldog.Amazingly enough, they are 30 seconds apart in Rio Rancho.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top