Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2014 11:39:56 AM EDT
Im over here in Texas and wondering what your impression is of the open carry laws in your state or the lack thereof...

Do you literally see folks walking around in public all the time with holstered weapons???

Is it your impression that this causes alarm....or have you seen or heard of any stories of problems that occurred as a result of the largely unregulated open carry freedom in the state?

Im just curious what it looked like in a state where it was wide open...

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 1:56:35 PM EDT
[#1]
It's not an everyday thing to see someone open carrying where I'm at.  But you do see it from time to time.

I opened carried for the better part of 4 years before getting my CCW.  Only ever had 1 negative response, and that was a manager politely asking me to leave.

I was asked semi frequently if it was legal, and questions about the performance and or make of the firearm I was carrying.

I love the open carry law, and still OC from time to time depending on my mood/dress.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 9:26:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Im from Wisconsin and Ive seen more OC up there than down here.

The dumbest things (discussed in another thread on this hometown forum) is not able to OC where alcohol is present. So OCing is really not an option at walmarts (that's the thread) grocery stores, many restaurants, and some places that just don't support it (goodwill being one of them).

If it was me I would OC everywhere. Everyone uses the defense  "tactical advantage", What the tactical advantage when a stray dog comes up when your walking your dog and you don't know what it will do. If it attacks my gun is that much easier to get. Or whats the tactical advantage when the bums keep coming to you (here in Gallup hyper aggressive about asking money from whitey) They tend to stay away when im OCing because they know ill use it if provoked

OCing and CCing are two symbioses that need to be together. One is not better over another. Both offer significant value yet most don't understand that.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 9:49:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

OCing and CCing are two symbioses that need to be together. One is not better over another. Both offer significant value yet most don't understand that.
View Quote

Do both.  I know our stupid law says only one CC weapon.  But, we can carry openly while carrying concealed.  

I know this state has some really screwy laws, but as of now, it is what it is.  Run for office and get us some CHANGE, brothah.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 12:46:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't OC often, especially not in the city.  Its probably a good way to get shot to OC in Albuquerque with the current police force.

It is however convenient when you are out hiking in the woods and want a gun handy.  It's also nice when you are out in the boonies and need to stop at a gas station in the middle of nowhere to pick something up -- not having to disarm yourself is useful.  

Down here in Valencia county I see it fairly often.  At the flea market, folks walking down the road, folks on their horses on the ditches, it is far more common than it was in Albuquerque.  But thats probably pretty typical when it comes to rural vs urban environments. A lot of the shopkeepers around here seem to OC as well.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 2:53:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't OC in ABQ due to most of the places I go sell Alcohol so it is a no go by state law, but I do CC.  When I am out camping/hiking or outdoors I will OC. The only other time I OC is when working at my weekend job.  Omni Prefers it.

MAHA
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:20:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I understand there are advantages to both OC and CC -- but most of the time, if I'm carrying, it's hidden.  I went to the trouble of getting the license, I figure I might as well carry that way.

As to how often we see OC around -- well, every time I go to the gun shop, EVERYBODY in there is open carrying.  Customers, employees, it doesn't matter.  Other places, sometimes -- like in Tractor Supply or whatever.

On the rare occasion that I OC somewhere, nobody has ever said anything to me.  Thinking back, I have carried in Lowe's, one local grocery store that doesn't sell alcohol, walking on teh sidewalks downtown, etc.  I get the feeling that nobody cares.  After all, Thomas Ketchum (Black Jack) and Billy the Kid are dead.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 4:16:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I have done lots of open carry in NM and in TX. I open carry everyday in all legal places in NM. I also go to Texas for gun rights events like the Alamo event and the Austin Veterans Day event.

Since you are in Texas you should look up Come and Take It Texas or Open Carry Texas...if you haven't heard if them yet.

http://comeandtakeitamerica.com/

http://www.opencarrytexas.org/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top