Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2017 7:57:25 AM EDT
Like the title states.  My parents who grew up on the north east near the Poconos, are looking to retire now from Texas, and gain some views back in the process.  They're not looking for some huge house or anything, but something like a 3 bedroom, nice little cabin and some land.  

One of the areas my mother specifically mentioned was Mountain View.  Says from the looks of it, its a small touristy town but the surrounding areas look nice.  (Never been, so don't know for sure)

Not being familiar with Arkansas, any advice, suggestions, or anything would be greatly helpful, and I can pass along the info to them.  

Many thanks!
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 1:13:36 PM EDT
[#1]
That is a pretty part of the state.  Only issue I can think of is the distance to medical services.  They would be a hour from Mountain Home and 2 hours from Harrison.  Those are closest towns of any size nearby.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 1:47:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is a pretty part of the state.  Only issue I can think of is the distance to medical services.  They would be a hour from Mountain Home and 2 hours from Harrison.  Those are closest towns of any size nearby.
View Quote
Good info!  Thanks!   I passed that along to them
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 9:08:34 PM EDT
[#3]
See the Fairfield Bay post.  Plenty of houses with water views. Perfect for retirees...
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 12:44:15 AM EDT
[#4]

One of the areas my mother specifically mentioned was Mountain View.
View Quote
The area around Mountain View is quite beautiful.

But, anyone looking to relocate there needs to keep in mind that Fulton, Sharp, Izard and Stone counties are some of the poorest in the nation so they will need to re-set their expectations as to what "amenities" are going to be available to them.  I am from Fulton County, Arkansas, but have spent the past four decades getting my education and living in Frisco, Texas.

Anyone relocating to that area needs to understand that it has been isolated long enough to have developed its own culture.  If you move there and expect people to act like they do where you came from, you will be disappointed.  

For example, my mother once called the air conditioning repairman.  He called her back from a job site and said he could get to her next.  He confirmed the location of the house.  He then said that since the route to the house took him over the low water bridge over a tributary to the Spring River, if the fish were running, he might be a little late.  If you can't handle someone taking a break from coming to fix your air conditioner, DON'T MOVE THERE.

And for heaven's sake, if you ever utter the phrase, "Well in San Jose - or Plano - or Waukesha - we did it this way..." expect to be on the outside of the community for the rest of your life.  If you move up there, move with the intent to adapt your way of thinking and your behavior to how the natives do things and nothing else.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 5:27:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
See the Fairfield Bay post.  Plenty of houses with water views. Perfect for retirees...
View Quote
I made the Fairfield Bay post and agree that it is, or was great for retirees (hung around there in the 90's as a kid when it was a big place for Northerners to retire to).
Beware that it is surrounded by some very impoverished areas, and some of the most crude hillbilly's there are, however.
hdwhit's  post above pretty much explained this, but many of the locals are no longer the Dukes of Hazard type, but more like the Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia type.
Meth is a problem in the surrounding areas, but not sure about FFB.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 7:21:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks again for the replies... I think after they started digging they realized what you guys are saying.  It is pretty... but it isnt the cute little mountain town they were hoping for.  

Their search continues lol
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 10:02:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Have them take a look at Hot Springs Village. Near Hot Springs, but not the same place...much different.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top