Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2017 11:04:09 AM EDT
Anybody else notice the recent increase in panhandling in NWA. Seeing them on more and more intersections.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 2:48:35 PM EDT
[#1]
It's ridiculous.  

Last year, AR said panhandling is now legal Now everyone suddenly is homeless/needs to get home/could use something.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 4:44:28 PM EDT
[#2]
same here in L.R.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 6:42:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Even saw a husband/wife tag team today, at NWA Mall.  Couple at 6th street too! One had better shoes on than my wife...lol
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 11:38:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's ridiculous.  

Last year, AR said panhandling is now legal Now everyone suddenly is homeless/needs to get home/could use something.
View Quote

Wondered what was going on, they're all over the place,, even some them change shift on sixth st and 49, one walked up and took the sign while the other walked away.. just like shift change at a factory, crazy
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 9:57:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Anybody else notice the recent increase in panhandling in NWA. Seeing them on more and more intersections.
View Quote

Its because Fort Smith put an end to it here.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 10:26:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I came out of Wal Mart in Bentonville about 0745 and there was a man going car to car.

He was approaching people asking for money, etc.

He looked my way and I gave him the official "fuck off" look that I typically wear all day anyway, and he steered clear.

I have noticed a sharp increase and I don't give these folks the time of day.

Call me a dick, but I believe they make a fortune begging and I would bet they aren't buying their baby some formula with the money you give them.

eta: sp
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 7:54:41 AM EDT
[#7]
It annoys me that sometimes the bums are wearing name brand clothing at their "work" while I am wearing stuff from walmart for my work.

If you're going to be a bum, at least look the part.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 8:58:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Wondered what was going on, they're all over the place,, even some them change shift on sixth st and 49, one walked up and took the sign while the other walked away.. just like shift change at a factory, crazy
View Quote

I saw the same thing happen there the other day.  

Bunch of scammers is all they are.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 11:46:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Not NWA...but had a woman get out of her relatively new Ford Escape in the Kroger parking lot in Conway yesterday and ask me if I could help her a little bit so she could get groceries.  Yeah...no, not gonna happen.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 1:49:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Our Wal-Mart has it's share of them in Arkadelphia.  I got in my car one afternoon and saw a lady give one of those guys a value meal from McDonalds.  After she left he hung around a few minutes then walked across the parking lot and threw the meal away
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 10:27:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Our Wal-Mart has it's share of them in Arkadelphia.  I got in my car one afternoon and saw a lady give one of those guys a value meal from McDonalds.  After she left he hung around a few minutes then walked across the parking lot and threw the meal away
View Quote

Seen that a few time over the years
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 10:39:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was a lady that was standing out in front of Jose's in Springdale a few years ago with 2 young kids and a sign asking for money for food or something.  My wife has a huge heart and went and got her groceries.  She asked me if I would go with her to deliver them.  The lady just threw the bags on the ground with barely a thanks.  Keep in mind this was in the middle of the summer, so it was hot and there was food in there that would spoil.  Her husband pulled in as we were leaving and I can't remember everything but he seemed upset at the food and at the woman.  

I'm guessing they just wanted money.  I just don't give out money anymore.  Too many scammers

EDIT:  I take that last part back.  Sometimes you just know when people need help.  And they aren't the ones asking for it.

A year ago there was a guy in Jason's deli and he had a couple of backpacks with him and seemed like he might have had some brain trauma or something.  He wasn't acting bad, but you could tell he was off and was just sitting in the corner by himself.  I asked the manager about him and she apologized for him being there at first.  I said no we don't mind, I was just wondering what his story is.  She said that he had started coming in there to eat a little bit and stay out of the cold, but he didn't bother anyone.  I put $100 on a gift card and asked her to give it to him.  She started to cry and said of course.  Seemed like she knew he needed help and had been worried about getting in trouble for helping him and letting him stay in there.  He just sat there and looked at it like he didn't know what to think for a long time as we were walking out.  I still wonder about him and wish I would have done more.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 12:04:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Wife and I were traveling back from Tulsa a few years back, we stopped at the gas station in the median.  There was a younger guy and his dog setting out front selling homemade jewelry, and by homemade, it was wire and rocks.  Wife wanted to help so I got two hot dogs and gave them to him.  He said thanks and wanted us to pick out a couple pieces of his jewelry as he didn't want something for nothing...any way long story short he was headed to Nashville and had run out of money, and was selling his homemade jewelry for gas money.  I didn't think much about it until my wife watched him eat his hot dog, he scarfed it down and was starting on the other one when he stopped and gave what was left to his dog....broke my wife's heart.  Went back, guy would not take money for nothing so, we spent $30 and bought all his jewelry, I went inside and got him more food and drink.  Guy was beside himself, got all choked up.  Last thing my wife did was slide all that jewelry in one of the bags we gave him.  I believe he was the real deal, I hope so.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 12:46:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Wife and I were traveling back from Tulsa a few years back, we stopped at the gas station in the median.  There was a younger guy and his dog setting out front selling homemade jewelry, and by homemade, it was wire and rocks.  Wife wanted to help so I got two hot dogs and gave them to him.  He said thanks and wanted us to pick out a couple pieces of his jewelry as he didn't want something for nothing...any way long story short he was headed to Nashville and had run out of money, and was selling his homemade jewelry for gas money.  I didn't think much about it until my wife watched him eat his hot dog, he scarfed it down and was starting on the other one when he stopped and gave what was left to his dog....broke my wife's heart.  Went back, guy would not take money for nothing so, we spent $30 and bought all his jewelry, I went inside and got him more food and drink.  Guy was beside himself, got all choked up.  Last thing my wife did was slide all that jewelry in one of the bags we gave him.  I believe he was the real deal, I hope so.
View Quote

Nice.  Like I said, you can tell when they are genuine.  And they usually aren't asking for something for nothing.  

Well done man.  My heart swells up when I hear stories like this.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 6:41:31 PM EDT
[#15]
we use to have one come I to the er drunk. We would count his money and security would lock it a safe. He often had over $1000 in cash in his pockets.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 5:26:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
we use to have one come I to the er drunk. We would count his money and security would lock it a safe. He often had over $1000 in cash in his pockets.
View Quote
Which ER?  My GF used to work at NW in Chickendale. Now she works at Willow Creek...much better clientele.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:00:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Apparently the lady with the toy dog in her bra that hangs outside the Wally on Rogers didn't get the memo
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:02:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Stopped at Cabot WM the other day and one came and stood by my car waiting for me to get out. I mean he literally walked across an aisle or two and stood there by my rear quarter panel smoking a cigarette and waiting for me to get out.  I moved across the lot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top