Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2016 8:46:01 AM EDT
Good morning Gentlemen-
I was recently advised by my boss that I will be transferring to Hot Springs at the end of July. I've been there for meetings a few times but aside from that know very little about the area so I was hoping that maybe you guys could enlighten me about HS or AR in general. I figure that local knowledge will trump anything that the Interwebz will provide. I'll be up next week looking at apartments and kind of assessing the area so just a few questions to start but there may be more to follow as the move continues:
1) Neighborhoods that I would want to, or specifically not want to live in?
2) Ranges?  I've seen a few online but again you guys would know the worthy from the not.
3) Tips or tricks for DL, Car tags, and CHL?
Thanks so much in advance for any assistance/information.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 9:18:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't help you on neighorhoods in Hot Springs. The area has 2 lakes, one of which is good for Scuba Diving with some pretty cool things to see.   Lots of bbq places in the area.  

Mountain Valley Sportsman's Association is just outside of town to the North East. Lots of ranges there, mostly shorter stuff. But they have a rifle range out to 300 yards too. Benton's range is about an hour away and goes to 600. Both run USPSA and IDPA shoots regularly.

DL should be as easy as taking your current DL to a state revenue office, you can also knock out your tags there with registration and proof of insurance.

CHL is a bullshit class with whatever instructor you want, submit that, fingerprints, and I think $142.50 to the state police.

Link Posted: 6/23/2016 9:19:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Good morning Gentlemen-
I was recently advised by my boss that I will be transferring to Hot Springs at the end of July. I've been there for meetings a few times but aside from that know very little about the area so I was hoping that maybe you guys could enlighten me about HS or AR in general. I figure that local knowledge will trump anything that the Interwebz will provide. I'll be up next week looking at apartments and kind of assessing the area so just a few questions to start but there may be more to follow as the move continues:
2) Ranges?  I've seen a few online but again you guys would know the worthy from the not.
View Quote

1- in general you want to live "outside" of the bypass semi-circle. The Pointe is probably the nicest apt complex here, though there are several nice ones if thats what youre looking for.
2- good range at MVSA 120/yr. if youd like to visit me or others would be happy to take you. There are also 3 forest svc ranges within ~30 min but the gun handling can be sketchy
3- i think its all straight forward. Ive seen mention in the past you maybe can transfer chl.
4- youre gonna need a name/avatar change to get rid of that awful team.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:53:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good morning Gentlemen-

Keep the Avatar.   The only good hog is a barbqued hog.     Roll Tide.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 5:41:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Really appreciate it guys. Didn't seek this transfer out but I am really looking forward to it. Currently in Columbus, MS so it will be nice to be in a larger town and have that convenience while still not being a large city.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 7:35:27 PM EDT
[#5]
There is a Appleseed shoot September 24,25 at MVSA. Good idea to sign up and meet some locals. Heck I might drive down to that one myself.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 7:41:26 PM EDT
[#6]
If you have school aged kids you want to live in the Lakeside School District first or Lake Hamilton District second.  No others.

You will have to assess and pay personal property taxes.  Think autos, boats, atvs, etc.  Assess at the County Assessors office and pay quarterly or in full by October.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 7:49:05 PM EDT
[#7]
The users far_right and deskoski(not responded yet) are both residents of Hot Springs and can offer the best advice.

Hot Springs is a resort community.   The population increases dramatically during the warmer months due to all the lakes in the area.  Part of the town is also part of a State Park(National Park actually).    The Horse Track is a huge draw in late Winter/early Spring.   The have gambling also.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 8:39:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 10:06:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Some of us We will tolerate you Bama guys, as long as you root  for the Hogs when we play LSU.  WPS

Fixed
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 10:28:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
We will tolerate you Bama guys, as long as you root  for the Hogs when we play LSU.  WPS
View Quote

You may not speak for all of us.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 11:18:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Some of us We will tolerate you Bama guys, as long as you root  for the Hogs when we play LSU.  WPS

Fixed
View Quote

And Auburn.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 12:13:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Howdy, I've been working in Hot Springs for 5-6 years. Moved to Hot Springs Village 3 years ago. We love it here. Funny thing, my son recently transferred to Columbus, MS (USAF instructor pilot). We are planning to go over there for a visit soon.

There are actually three lakes here, Ouachita, Hamilton and Catherine. Plus two more that aren't far, DeGray and Greeson. Hot Springs Village has another ten smaller lakes, up to 950 acres. HSV also has several (8-9?) golf courses.

I can't really help with real estate questions, but I can recommend a good realtor if you're looking to buy. School district seems to be the #1 factor in house prices.

I'm a member of MVSA, let me know if you want to go check it out. Do you remember Jan Morgan, the lady famous for saying "no Muslims at my range"?  She has an indoor range on the west side. We are members there too.

We moved here fromTexas. Compared to TX, tags, licenses, etc are a breeze, and cheap. AR has. Reciprocal agreement with TX on CHLs. I was able to surrender my TX CHL and get an AR CHL to replace it. Most CHL instructors knew nothing about it, I got lucky and found one who did.

Arkansas has fantastic state parks.  They even have big fancy lodges at places like Mt Magazine and Queen Wilhelmina and Petit Jean Mountain. Also lots of outdoor activities, camping, hiking, fishing, etc.  Plus some beautiful rivers for canoeing and kayaking.

Let me know when you're going to be here, maybe I can show you around and answer some questions.

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:44:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Alright, I'm responding.

I live on the west side of town. Just over the bridge, The kids all went to Lake Hamilton.
I went to Lake Hamilton as well. Don't hold it against me. Out 270 is beginning to expand
heavily towards Royal. Lakeside schools are nice too, as well as Cutter Morning Star.

Gun Ranges:

There is MVSA, they have a great IDPA range and cowboy action range too.
Pigeon Roost is the range out Glenwood way off 70 West, always take a buddy or two.
Bear Mountain Range is a bad place on Ouachita don't go there...ever.
There's a Christian gun range off 171 behind the new county fair grounds on the east side of town.
And of course the Benton Gun Club. Little drive north and east, but an all day escape is worth it!

DL and tags...get em changed as soon as possible. Tourists never come back to contest in court,
thus they are ticketed frequently...and as Far_Right said, get rid of any rival SEC gear, wouldn't want
anyone to have an accident!

We've all met before for dinners and stuff and try to organize shooting activities as a group to help
each other out and to try new\different gear. I have a scout troop in town that's small and we're always
looking for help and new recruits! I know a few trails in the area where as Far_Right knows many more
and is as such in much better shape.

Link Posted: 7/4/2016 12:40:08 AM EDT
[#14]
I grew up in hot springs.....

Everyones replies pretty much on par.  If you don't mind a bit of a commute you can find some pretty nice places with acreage if your looking to buy.  Again school districts are a big factor in price.  

If your an outdoors guy,  you'll like it. Lots of national forest land provide's good  camping, hunting, hiking, etc.   Lake ouachita is second to none as far a's scenery.  It an undeveloped shoreline lake which provides good fishing and camping.

I'm almost positive you can transfer your chl.  Get in touch with the state police and they can get pointed in the right direction.  Vehicle registration and tags are cheap.  You will have to pay personal property taxes on cars and boats.    Taxes prices are mainly dictated by school district you live in.  

I really hated leaving Arkansas.  Unfortunately, not a lot jobs there in my trade that pay well.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 11:01:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good morning Gentlemen-

Blasphemy!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top