Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2016 11:48:15 PM EDT
I'm thinking of a Trans-Mississippi Civil War (self-guided) tour.  What else is there to see in Arkansas?
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 2:10:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Pea Ridge is a good stop, it might take a while to see all you want to see. Then again, you might see all you care to see in a couple of hours. Not far away was the Battle of Prairie Grove, just west of Fayetteville.

I haven't been to either one in a long time but they were both worth seeing.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 8:31:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.  Is there anything remaining of Arkansas Post (Fort Hindman)?
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 9:15:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Pea Ridge and Prairie Grove are the only battlefields I've been to, but there are others.

http://www.civilwartraveler.com/TRANS/AR/

If you're coming this far, you really should go to Vicksburg.  The USS Cairo museum alone is worth the trip.

Link Posted: 5/14/2016 10:19:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I have to put a plug in for my home town.

There is a lot of Civil War history in Helena, AR.

The coolest thing to see is the Confederate cemetery. It is not very big but a cool place that I visit every time I am in town.

There is a re-creation of Ft Curtis that is interesting.

There are a couple other things to see and a museum with some Civil War artifacts.

"Battery C" was a hill top battle site that has been set up so that you can drive up there and walk around. Gives a great view of the town and the Mississippi River.

It is a very low income area and has had some crime issues but if stay aware and don't wonder off the beaten path you will be ok.

Here are a few links to get you started.

Civil War Helena

Helena website with some info

A link with a few pics

A good article about the history of the Battle of Helena

A little more info. Also mentions the Arkasas Post and Ft Hindman

An old article about Battery C. It is completed now.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 2:51:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I forgot to mention that there will be a Civil War museum here in Hot Springs soon.  Actually it's kind of already open, there are a select number of displays in a trailer behind the building where the real museum will be.

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2016/jan/14/new-civil-war-museum-open-hot-springs/

And if your travels take you to Texas, the Texas civil war museum in Fort Worth is excellent.

Link Posted: 5/15/2016 3:33:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Ask the Prairie Grove head honcho to give you a tour of the burned down mills and the school. Its not much to look at, but he paints a great narrative and can point you to the battle lines on a 10mi or so tour.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top