Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/10/2016 7:23:47 PM EDT
Just picked up a new Tahoe and want to get a good tune done on it.  Does anyone know a shop around Little Rock that does tuning specifically on the LS motors.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 10:39:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I wonder about this as well.   I had a PCM tune on an older (2003) vehicle when I first bought it used.   But I simply ordered a new PCM with a Tune job and then replaced the stock PCM.    Then had to do a Case Relearn.  Now I have a spare.   I got mine for PCMforless.   North Caroline I think.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 12:34:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I think my friend has had a lot of LS work done at a place called KK performance.   Might be worth calling them and talking to them a little.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 7:58:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wonder about this as well.   I had a PCM tune on an older (2003) vehicle when I first bought it used.   But I simply ordered a new PCM with a Tune job and then replaced the stock PCM.    Then had to do a Case Relearn.  Now I have a spare.   I got mine for PCMforless.   North Caroline I think.
View Quote

Depending on the vehicle it is possible to get a tuning device that will send information to the tuner and then they can send you an email tune.  I know of a few companies that do that with very good results if you can't find anyone local to you.  I prefer to use someone local though.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 7:59:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I think my friend has had a lot of LS work done at a place called KK performance.   Might be worth calling them and talking to them a little.
View Quote

I have heard of them from looking around but don't know anyone that has used them.  Will probably give them a call once I am ready and see what they say.  Thanks
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 1:18:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Depending on the vehicle it is possible to get a tuning device that will send information to the tuner and then they can send you an email tune.  I know of a few companies that do that with very good results if you can't find anyone local to you.  I prefer to use someone local though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes for sure.   Back when mine was first done there were no cheap OBD devices that could be hooked up via Bluetooth.   Technology has made leaps and bounds in only a few years.    In recent years the manufacturers have gone to even newer devices.   I have not looked into it recent years however.   My vehicle is older so less information in the PCM.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 1:18:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I think the owner of KK also owns the Conoco station on Rodney Parham just East of I-430 in LR.

Gwatney Chevrolet in Jacksonville has a performance department that does tunes, headers, etc.

Both have dynos.  About a year ago, KK quoted $350 for a canned reprogram and $500 for a custom dyno tune.

I sent my Tahoe PCM to Black Bear Performance in SoCal.  Cost was around $250, but I was down for a week.

You shouldn't need a dyno tune for typical mild performance upgrades.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 4:22:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I think the owner of KK also owns the Conoco station on Rodney Parham just East of I-430 in LR.

Gwatney Chevrolet in Jacksonville has a performance department that does tunes, headers, etc.

Both have dynos.  About a year ago, KK quoted $350 for a canned reprogram and $500 for a custom dyno tune.

I sent my Tahoe PCM to Black Bear Performance in SoCal.  Cost was around $250, but I was down for a week.

You shouldn't need a dyno tune for typical mild performance upgrades.
View Quote

Depending on what I hear from the local guys Black Bear is my next stop.  

Did you like the tune you got from them?
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 6:01:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Another vote for Blackbear
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 11:41:25 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't much care about being down for a week, but my Tahoe needs a reprogram pretty bad.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 1:01:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes.  I had a sick 5.3 that was replaced with a 6.0 HO.  I reused the 5.3 intake assembly, since Flex injectors are way bigger than standard 6.0 injectors...36 lbs/hr for Flex and 25 lbs/hr for 4.8/5.3/6.0.
I also reused my 5.3 Flex ECM.  They took all of this and more into account for my reprogram.  My computer was in SoCal and the tuner was in NJ.  The downside is that I have to run 93 octane.
I would do it again.  I think I got the traditional tune.  They answered all my questions before I committed.  Black Bear has a great reputation and tons of experience with LS engines.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 9:46:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Give Arkansas Performance Exhaust out in Sherwood a ring.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 12:02:07 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a thread in the cars and bike section but I have a 2007 Yukon XL 2WD with 140k miles. I deleted the AFM but I'm now looking to add power or engine swap. You guys seem to know a thing or two about these engines. What are some options?  I would like to stay under $3k
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 2:16:10 PM EDT
[#13]
If you want to keep the 5.3, then a cold air intake (or at least a free flowing drop in filter), long tube headers, a free-flowing muffler and a performance tune will give you the most bang for your buck.

If swap, get a 6.0 HO engine & trans out of an Escalade.  Then see above.  The crank sensors changed in 2007, so your donor engine also needs to be 2007+ in order to be plug & play.

A shop on East Broadway did my swap.  He buys wrecks at insurance auctions.  It might be a bit more than $3K to do an engine & trans swap.

Arkansas Performance Exhaust is one of the very best in central AR.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 3:44:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you want to keep the 5.3, then a cold air intake (or at least a free flowing drop in filter), long tube headers, a free-flowing muffler and a performance tune will give you the most bang for your buck.

If swap, get a 6.0 HO engine & trans out of an Escalade.  Then see above.  The crank sensors changed in 2007, so your donor engine also needs to be 2007+ in order to be plug & play.

A shop on East Broadway did my swap.  He buys wrecks at insurance auctions.  It might be a bit more than $3K to do an engine & trans swap.

Arkansas Performance Exhaust is one of the very best in central AR.
View Quote

APEis very good,  and very fast.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 8:59:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Donor engines are a problem with 2007-2009 years.  The Active Fuel Mgmt. or Displacement on Demand systems starved oil to the front & back cylinders on each bank.
These engines (mostly 5.3s) are failing right & left.  Lots of folks are looking for replacements.  So...swap prices are higher due to supply & demand.
6.0/6.2 is the way to go if you swap.  They have lots more hp & torque.  You will also need the transmission, as the 4L60E behind your 5.3 will not hold up with a 6.0, which comes with a 4L65E.  The 4L65E is plug & play, just stronger.
Your factory cats & exhaust flow pretty well, just replace the muffler with a free flowing one.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 10:34:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Donor engines are a problem with 2007-2009 years.  The Active Fuel Mgmt. or Displacement on Demand systems starved oil to the front & back cylinders on each bank.
These engines (mostly 5.3s) are failing right & left.  Lots of folks are looking for replacements.  So...swap prices are higher due to supply & demand.
6.0/6.2 is the way to go if you swap.  They have lots more hp & torque.  You will also need the transmission, as the 4L60E behind your 5.3 will not hold up with a 6.0, which comes with a 4L65E.  The 4L65E is plug & play, just stronger.
Your factory cats & exhaust flow pretty well, just replace the muffler with a free flowing one.
View Quote

Do the 07-09 6.0, 6.2l have the AFM also? It's one thing to turn it off, but the oil issue and rockers are another.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 10:50:42 PM EDT
[#17]
I am not sure.  I think early years (2007) NO, but perhaps toward 2009.
You'll have to do your own research.  Mine is a little older, so I didn't have to worry with it.

If you get one that has it, turn it off in the ECM and replace the extra valve train parts with normal ones...problem solved.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top