Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2016 12:39:56 AM EDT
Any suggestions? I'm looking at visiting in March.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 11:49:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Arkansas has great state parks. What area are you visiting?
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 12:07:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Mt. Magazine State Park is a good one.  I usually just camp in the national forest around it because it's free.  But they have a decent campground if you want to have facilities nearby.  I think that was something like $12-15 the last time I camped there.

Queen Wilhelmina State Park over by Mena is a good place, too, but I've never camped there, so I couldn't tell you the rates.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 3:40:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Arkansas has great state parks. What area are you visiting?
View Quote

I'm willing to travel anywhere that's nice. I'd like to stay as far west in AR as possible though to limit my drive time. I have two children 6 & 9 so I would like to stay with developed campgrounds.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 4:50:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Here you go - interactive state park finder:
http://www.arkansasstateparks.com/park-finder/
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 8:34:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Stick with one of the state parks then and I highly recommend making reservations if you can. They can fill up in the Spring. I live in Fort Smith and have been to most around here. Devil's Den and Mt. Magazine are both nice and are probably two I have visited the most. Crater of Diamonds sounds neat, but little kids will get bored pretty quick. Queen Wilhelmina is nice, but not very big. Been there once and not in a hurry to return. Let us know what you decide when the time gets closer.

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:33:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I prefer Mt. Nebo over Mt. Magazine.

The view is better even tho the mountain is shorter, and there are tame deer all over the mountain top,

if you loop the top at dawn or dusk you can see as many as 100 deer out feeding that aren't afraid of cars or people.

Then again I grew up at the base of Mt. Magazine so I might just be jaded, and I see it every day I drive to work.

I see Texas plates on many vehicles when I am up on Nebo, so it's apparently worth the drive.

Or in true arfcom fashion, go see both
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 2:41:44 AM EDT
[#7]
If you're coming up from Texas, the Hot Springs area is off I-30.  Nice state parks at Lake DeGray, Lake Catherine, Lake Ouachita, Lake Greeson. Arkansas has done a great job with their state parks.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:26:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Try Shady Lake above Daisy, AR.

Yeah it sounds Shady...but the place was very quiet and peaceful! Lots of drivable and hiking trails there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top