Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2015 3:26:49 PM EDT
Am I missing something here?   The report seems a little light on info.

http://www.thv11.com/story/news/local/2015/09/24/woman-charged-in-death-conway-scooter-driver-receives-30-day-sentence/72743274/

Woman charged in death of Conway scooter driver receives 30-day sentence

CONWAY, Ark. (KTHV) -- A woman charged in the death of a scooter driver in Conway pleaded guilty to misdemeanor negligent homicide this week.

Aretha Perkins, 43, was charged after she is said to have struck 28-year-old Lauren Dunn in August of 2014. Police said Dunn was waiting on her scooter to turn left onto College Street from Harkrider Street when she was rear-ended by Perkins. The narrative in the police report stated that Dunn was thrown from the scooter after being struck. Perkins' vehicle was found more than 400 feet from the area of impact with Dunn on the vehicle.

According to the report, Perkins said at the time of the accident that she was going "regular speed as always."

In court this week, Perkins pleaded guilty and received a 30-day jail sentence, one year supervised probation, and a revoked driver's license for one year with the stipulation the she must complete a driver's training program.

Perkins was taken into custody in court, and began her jail sentence Thursday.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 9:33:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 3:41:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
wtf
View Quote

Yeah, this is all I can come up with.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 5:35:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm still pissed, Lauren deserves better than that.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 9:41:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Her family was in the loop and felt it appropriate.   The law is clear,  maybe not what we want it to be,  but clear. She was sober,  so it remained a misdemeanor.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 11:38:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Her family was in the loop and felt it appropriate.   The law is clear,  maybe not what we want it to be,  but clear. She was sober,  so it remained a misdemeanor.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

misdemeanor negligent homicide

I guess the negligent homicide is what concerns me here.   Is there also a felony negligent homicide vs misdemeanor?

I'll bet you if I walk into my backyard and fire a weapon into the ground, and not kill anyone, I would get worse charges than this lady.

As I said in the OP the article was a little light on facts.   Was this truly just a horrendous accident?
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 12:26:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I guess the negligent homicide is what concerns me here.   Is there also a felony negligent homicide vs misdemeanor?

I'll bet you if I walk into my backyard and fire a weapon into the ground, and not kill anyone, I would get worse charges than this lady.

As I said in the OP the article was a little light on facts.   Was this truly just a horrendous accident?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

misdemeanor negligent homicide

A demonstrable aggravating factor such, as DWI, would have bumped it to a felony.

Looking at history, the vast majority if the time someone driving a vehicle with 4 or more wheels hits a vehicle with 3 or less, sentences are going to be light, if they happen at all. Barring texting or drinking, etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top