Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2015 7:01:24 PM EDT
Looking at heading down Murfreesboro to let the kids do some digging for some treasure:) going to stop at Springdale on the way to stay the night in a place the wife wants to stay. Thinking of going to the mill and cave at Rogers. What else should we see or do? Between the 2 places? Anything to see in NWA? Thinking I really want to retire there on a little spot of ground. Should we bring a couple fishing poles? Also what's conceled carry like? My missouri permit good to go? Thank you in advance
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 9:27:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know if the construction is still going on on I-30 west bound at the Hot Springs exit or not, but last week I-30 going toward Texarkana from Little Rock was a parking lot for at least 6 miles because the construction has the highway choked down to one lane.  If you don't mind curvy roads, you might exit off I-40 at Russellville and take Highway 7 thru Hot Springs to Arkadelphia, or take Highway 270 (Malvern Ave.) in Hot Springs to Malvern and pick up I-30 from either location.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 11:15:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 9:47:29 PM EDT
[#3]
yes construction starts at hwy 70
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 10:04:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Crystal Bridges in Bentonville is worth the visit and is free.

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 10:06:48 AM EDT
[#5]
HWY 7 south of Russellville is a fun, curvy drive with lots of scenery.  You should drive up to the top of Mt. Nebo since you're going so close to it.  You can drive to overlooks on the east side and west side.  Very cool place.

Stoby's in Russellville is a good place to eat.  So is CJ's Burger Boy.  Avoid Feltner's Whataburger.  It was awesome in the 90s but now it's worse than McD's.  Still a tourist trap just from it's reputation, but it sucks now.

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 8:08:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you. Can't wait to visit your state
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 10:31:09 PM EDT
[#7]

I suppose the mill you reference is War Eagle Mill.  It's interesting to visit.  I don't know about the caves.  I live up the mountain from Devil's Den State Park, and they have closed many caves in AR due to a fungus that the bats get, and they're afraid of us spreading it.

If you're going interstate, there's a Cabela's at exit 82 Rogers.  Stop to see Fort Smith Historic Site--frontier justice court covering the Indian territory.  Nite Lite Outdoors, Clarksville--dogger gear.

Backroads:  Out of 'Sprangdale' 412 Hwy to Huntsville, home of Orvil Faubus, Granny's Kitchen for dinner (that's the Southern midday meal).  Madison Co. is 'Booger County' in AR, though I believe MO gives your Douglas County that honor.  Pig Trail 23 out of Huntsville, though a lane is closed due to washout over the mountain.

If you really want some backroads, connect with 74 in Huntsville to Kingston, then down 21 through Lost Valley/Boxley on down to I-40.  Lots of hillbilly history around there, and you may see some Elk.

Have a good time.

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 10:49:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Pig Trail and similar roads are best traversed with a low-slung, lightweight sportscar.  Just sayin'.  I've driven many in fullsize pickups and bigger, but sportscar.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 10:55:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I suppose the mill you reference is War Eagle Mill.  It's interesting to visit.  I don't know about the caves.  I live up the mountain from Devil's Den State Park, and they have closed many caves in AR due to a fungus that the bats get, and they're afraid of us spreading it.

If you're going interstate, there's a Cabela's at exit 82 Rogers.  Stop to see Fort Smith Historic Site--frontier justice court covering the Indian territory.  Nite Lite Outdoors, Clarksville--dogger gear.

Backroads:  Out of 'Sprangdale' 412 Hwy to Huntsville, home of Orvil Faubus, Granny's Kitchen for dinner (that's the Southern midday meal).  Madison Co. is 'Booger County' in AR, though I believe MO gives your Douglas County that honor.  Pig Trail 23 out of Huntsville, though a lane is closed due to washout over the mountain.

If you really want some backroads, connect with 74 in Huntsville to Kingston, then down 21 through Lost Valley/Boxley on down to I-40.  Lots of hillbilly history around there, and you may see some Elk.

Have a good time.

View Quote

Hwy 23 (Pig Trail) is closed completely.  Only way around is a long detour on pavement or a slightly shorter detour on some dirt roads.  I was just down that way and they had signs all over at Brashears Switch.

Plus this is on the iDrive website...

State Highway 23 in Franklin County

Detours have been established for routing traffic around a hill slide on State Highway 23, approximately 5.5 miles north of Cass. Approximately 700 linear feet of roadway is impacted. Large cracks have formed in the travel lanes, rendering both impassable. This closure includes 3.2 miles of State Highway 23 between the Mulberry Mountain Lodge (south end) and Fly Gap Road (north end). This section will remain closed until repairs can be made, which may be several weeks.

Please refer to the detour map for alternate routes motorists may take to get around the closed section of State Highway 23.

Last updated: June 26, 2015.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:27:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Crystal Bridges in Bentonville is worth the visit and is free.

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:12:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Made it down. Went to war eagle cave it was really cool. Wanted to go to pea ridge(kinda a history buff) but it was raining. Headed to the diamond state park in the am. Wife has fallen in love with your state and is ready to look for a retirement spot. Now I need to figure out where the best hunting in nwa is. I want a place in the mountains I can disappear and just hunt and fish. Having a blast, and JJ's in Rogers was some great eats
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:51:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Made it down. Went to war eagle cave it was really cool. Wanted to go to pea ridge(kinda a history buff) but it was raining. Headed to the diamond state park in the am. Wife has fallen in love with your state and is ready to look for a retirement spot. Now I need to figure out where the best hunting in nwa is. I want a place in the mountains I can disappear and just hunt and fish. Having a blast, and JJ's in Rogers was some great eats
View Quote

Booger County

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 12:28:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Newton  Booger   County

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Newton  Booger   County

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:28:58 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote

I know a guy selling 80 acres and an immaculate house and shop in Madison (Booger) County.  All cedar, huge wrap around porch.  Swimming pool.  On a hill with a gorgeous view.  And fantastic deer, turkey, and bear hunting.  He's got a couple monster bucks while just hunting from the porch.  A spring fed stocked pond that stays full all year round, along with another seasonal pond.  Cut trails go around the property.  2 fields but mostly timber.  Lots of privacy too.  

ETA:  He's only selling b/c he's disabled and keeping up with it is getting to be too difficult.

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:05:26 PM EDT
[#15]
That sounds great. But I'm still 15 years from retiring. Looking to maybe find a spot of ground and build a little house as I can. And hope to have it all paid for when I retire. But I really am liking it here. Didn't find any diamonds but had a good time and some BBQ at McClouds. Pretty dang good ribs wife loved the tamales. Going to hang out in hot springs tomorrow and head back Friday maybe drive around newton county. Maybe find a trout stream.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 11:16:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That sounds great. But I'm still 15 years from retiring. Looking to maybe find a spot of ground and build a little house as I can. And hope to have it all paid for when I retire. But I really am liking it here. Didn't find any diamonds but had a good time and some BBQ at McClouds. Pretty dang good ribs wife loved the tamales. Going to hang out in hot springs tomorrow and head back Friday maybe drive around newton county. Maybe find a trout stream.
View Quote

Better get it bought, then.  They ain't making any more of it.

Since pig trail is closed, I'd go Hwy 21 or 7, then.  Pretty drives.  No trout streams except immediately downstream of a dam, trout not native to AR.  Though smallmouth is.

Not telling you what to do, but I'm curious why you wouldn't want to have a place in MO Ozarks?  Taney, Douglas, Christian, Barry Counties?

Good luck.

Link Posted: 7/11/2015 12:39:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wish I'd have seen this sooner.  We moved to Hot Springs Village about 2 years ago.  Lovin it here so far, but we have a pretty unique location, NO NEIGHBORS!
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 6:51:44 PM EDT
[#18]
We went 7 all the way to jasper. Loved it. Reason we like Arkansas is it's just beutiful and you have some better hunting choices and I just like how the mountains seem to go forever. Thinking about coming back down in a couple weeks
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 7:12:19 PM EDT
[#19]
If you want trout fishing look around Heber Springs area for the Little Red River or around Mtn, Home and Mtn. View for the White River.  Lakes in the area for other fishing too.  Good hunting can be found too.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 9:00:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I wish I'd have seen this sooner.  We moved to Hot Springs Village about 2 years ago.  Lovin it here so far, but we have a pretty unique location, NO NEIGHBORS!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Howdy, your account IM'd me about C-130s the other day.  I cain't seem to open the message, and I don't think it's on my end, probably on the site.

Welcome to Arkansas, but please keep it a secret.

Link Posted: 7/11/2015 9:07:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Howdy, your account IM'd me about C-130s the other day.  I cain't seem to open the message, and I don't think it's on my end, probably on the site.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Howdy, I'll try reseeding it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top