Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2015 3:17:46 AM EDT
So over the years I have spent more than a few dollars on firearms, firearms accessories and training to use those items. One of the areas in my training I feel I am lacking is first aid and emergency trauma training. In 2015 I plan to fix that. As of right now I am enrolled  in the Red Cross's Professional First Aid course. While this course is more in depth than their standard first aid course it still lacks on the emergency trauma side.

I am looking into taking a course from Dark Angle Medical http://www.darkangelmedical.com/Training.html

I have done a lot of research on them and they come highly recommended. While I could enroll in one of their classes out of state I would prefer to try and host one of their classes here in the Benton/Bryant area.

In order to host a class there is a 12 person minimum attendee requirement and $475.00 per person for the class plus any fees to rent a class room/ meeting room.

I will be posting this in several locations to get a feel for the participation rate and keep everyone updated.

I know it is a lot of money but the class is two days of instruction and this information could help save your life or the life of a loved one in an emergency trauma incident.

Keep in mind that the cost of the course includes on of their D.A.R.K first aid kits. Take a min to click on the link I listed above to get the full details of their class and give me some feedback.

Thanks

http://www.darkangelmedical.com/Training.html

Dark Angel Medical, LLC
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:39:34 AM EDT
[#1]
If I weren't heading out West, I would really like to attend this.
A couple of years ago, after responding to a mid-fortysomething cardiac incident, I started to think about improving personal medical training and equipment.  Instead of spending $$$ building another rifle, or buying another Glock, wouldn't the money be better spent on training and supplies...  When it came down to it, what would more likely save my life, or a life of a family member; another pew-pew shooter..........or an AED, O2, stocked EMT bag and good training.  Now, things are not the sexiest things to buy, but the older we get
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:00:39 PM EDT
[#2]
if you can't get enough people, the Memphis crew is doing one with Dark Angle in October, and may need more people.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:40:31 PM EDT
[#3]
We are signed up to do the memphis one if it ever happens. If it falls through we would be up for a more local one. Good luck dealing with scheduling. It's been a real problem for the TN group.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:57:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah you would not think it would be hard to find twelve 12 for a great medical class like this. But I get it bits not cool your not running around doing mag dumps and no one ever thinks they will be the one who gets shot, in a bad accident etc so why would you want to waste mobey on something like this

But maybe I can make it happen. I took the combat life saver course in the army and it was the best first aid course I have ever taken buy that was in 94 or 95. And it did help me save the life of another solider.

Mao many things have changed since then. I have been doing some online course while they refresh my memory it's alswsys hard to beat instructor lead courses.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:51:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm not trying to be negative, just trying to understand, but what is the value proposition of the class?

I've taken lots and lots of free or nearly free FA training through the Red Cross, BSA, CERT, etc. over the years, and while you are correct, they don't tend to go very deep down the rabbit hole, they do offer quite a bit of knowledge for very little cost.

I'm having a hard time seeing what I can learn in roughly 12 hours of instruction time that would justify spending $500. Their website was down when I tried to go look at it, but the other hits I got on google kinda made it sound like this was just an extension of the tacticool "roll around in the dirt" crowd.

I'd hate to spend $500 to learn how to apply a tourniquet or shove clotting agent into a wound and apply pressure to a blowout...

Is there a synopsis of what all they teach?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:36:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been slowly looking at some "above basic" FA courses for a while, so this interests me.  

I went to their main website, found a training session and this is was their course description:

Product Description

The time to learn to use your personal trauma kit is not when you or someone else is bleeding out!!!

When life expectancy is measured in seconds and help is minutes away, will you know what to do? In our uncertain lives, that is a question that we all need to be able to answer a resounding, “Yes!” to.

Dark Angel Medical, LLC, is proud to offer training and instruction in the use of the D.A.R.K. The Tactical Aid Course** fills a niche between military self-aid/buddy care training and civilian EMS training and is geared towards those with little to no medical training or background. It provides the student with critical, need-to-know information, which can be utilized in a myriad of situations and stresses the ‘you don’t know what you don’t know’ principle as well as our own principle of “Simplicity Under Stress”.

The course is 2 days in length with a total of 16 hours of classroom work to include slide presentations, videos, question and answer sessions and hands-on practical skills application.

A manual and all training aids will be provided. A D.A.R.K. (Direct Action Response Kit) may also be provided to each student as part of the tuition.

Cost of the course (2 days instruction plus the D.A.R.K.—a $164.95 value) is $475.00 per person.

***There are no prerequisites for this class***

Included

The course covers the following:

Physiological and Psychological reactions to environmental stress
The importance of having the proper Combat Mindset
Basic Anatomy and Physiology of life-sustaining systems
H, A, B, C’s—Hemorrhage, Airway, Breathing and Circulation
Breakdown and usage of Individual Med Kit components
Proper stowage and employment of the IMK
Hands-on application of the IMK
Basic and Advanced Airway management -treating and monitoring tension pneumothorax, sucking chest wound and flail chest
Airway adjunct device placement-Nasopharyngeal Airway
Basic First Aid and Advanced wound care
Application of Bandages and Hemostatic Agents
Application of tourniquets
Recognition and Treatment of various injuries (Gunshot, Laceration, Burn, Airway, Head, Orthopedic, Environmental)
Recognition and treatment of hypovolemic (hemorrhagic) shock
Moving and positioning victims with various injuries
Response to active shooter situation
Proper use of cover and cover vs. concealment
Casualty recovery in an Active Shooter situation
Mass casualty triage procedure
Emergency Medical Dialect/Lingo (911 protocol, cooperation with LE, Fire and EMS and First Responders)
Hardware/Kit

Note pad and pen/pencil/Sharpie
Individual First Aid Kit—If you choose to. All training materials are provided.
An open mind
**Note: The Tactical Aid Course offers no formal certification. It is informational only.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:31:52 AM EDT
[#7]
I would like to sit in just to hear what they have to say. I'm curious to their medical background. But at $475 bucks, I'm out.
I wish I was a better speaker/presenter I could make some side cash hosting classes.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:31:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would like to sit in just to hear what they have to say. I'm curious to their medical background. But at $475 bucks, I'm out.
I wish I was a better speaker/presenter I could make some side cash hosting classes.
View Quote

Yep.  $475 is almost enough to pay for EMT B.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:34:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Also a bit dismayed at the price of the course (even though you get the gear), I took the liberty of asking an old Navy Corpsman buddy I served with if he would interested in doing a local course.  He is interested, and mentioned two other Corpsmen who served in the same USMC infantry unit I was in (both with recent training) who would likely be interested in teaching the material.

So if that sounds like something you folks would be interested in, post up or send me a PM.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 6:31:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Time is money right? My time cost me as well as the time of any instructor. This class is a two day(16 hours) class on how not to just follow steps but to understand the body, how it works and most importantly how to keep it working in case of a major trauma or injury.

I know it’s a lot easier and sexier to drop this kind of money on a pistol/carbine/tactical class!!! Lets be real this kind of training stuff sucks in a learning environment but having all the tactical skills in the world won't do any good if the other side gets one lucky shot that bounces down a hall right into your partners leg!

Back to money. When I do spend my money I want to make sure I get the most bang for the buck as well as a solid instructor with a very solid curriculum. Kerry Davis comes very highly recommend and has a long history and experience in saving lives and just as importantly the skill of being able to teach others!!!!  Let be clear there are a lot of people out there that know how to do this stuff but not all of them can teach others!!! This is not just in the medical training field but you have all heard of horror stories of people taking classes from experts on the subject mater but just are not good natural teachers.

No big deal if you think this is to much. I am going to try to get on the Memphis class as well and I also want to explore another instructor that comes highly recommended. Some of you may recall Rich talking about Sam Coffman at The Human Path .

I am trying to get course dates settled down an see If I can fit them in my schedule to get to San Antonio and a take a few.

As the title stated in the OP I plan to spend most of my training dollars this year on medical and going forward try to spend every other year on refreshers as just like shooting skills if you don't use them you lose them.

Just my .02!
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:16:21 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm interested but my Calendar is pretty full until after summer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top