Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2015 6:01:34 PM EDT
Hey guys, need some input if you can. I'm a newbie to firearms business. Have been around guns my entire life just new to the business part. Have had my own small business before doing maintainence on foreclosed properties as a side gig and decided the money wasn't worth the hassle of dealing with the banks. I've been looking to start a new business for a while now and wasn't sure what I wanted to do. One night it was like a light bulb turned on and I thought of crcerakoting. Went 3 nights without any sleep because I stayed up day and night doing research on the ins and outs and obtaining an FFL and what not. The plan is to build a shop on my property within the next month or 2 and start getting the equipment I need. I want to start it off right so I'm going to obtain my llc and FFL right off the bat that way if things get to going good and not have to worry about all that. The plan is to eventually become a full service shop and to maybe one day get into machining. I know there are some guys in the central AR area that do amazing work right now and I'm not looking to step on any toes. Anyways, not wanting to ramble on just wanted to get some input from some local guys and introduce myself.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:26:08 PM EDT
[#1]
What part of the state are you in?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:03:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Hot springs/royal area
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:17:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice first post, you are a valuable member here

You can bang my sister
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:21:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You can bang my sister
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:26:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Lol... not sure if I should take that as sarcasm or not?? Anybody have any warnings/criticisms or such? Just trying to find out if this might be a bad idea or market to get into before I jump too far into this. Give it to me raw if need be lol
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:30:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You can bang my sister
View Quote

You dont like your sister.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:22:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can bang my sister

Mostly true.

But I love her
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:27:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Lol... not sure if I should take that as sarcasm or not?? Anybody have any warnings/criticisms or such? Just trying to find out if this might be a bad idea or market to get into before I jump too far into this. Give it to me raw if need be lol
View Quote

Raw? Hahaha, fine.

You are brand new here and asking for advice on how to build your business when we have at least one long standing and occasionally respected member here who is already in the business.

I'd sa6 you are barking up the wrong tree, or at least not barking up it in the right manner.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:38:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok so I have a line of questions for you:

Are you fastidious? Detail orientated? Professional?

Are you willing to do what it takes to make sure the customers expectations are far exceeded?

How quickly (in you normal life) do you respond to communication? Do you text? Email? Social media?

Are you willing to throw everything, including your time, resources, skills, into a business that likely won't pay for itself for a couple of years?

Do you have human resources at your disposal (ie help in your weak areas like potentially bookkeeping, accounting, order management), or is it just you?

Is cerakoting and/or refinishing of metal a skill you have or something you'd like to get good at? In other words, is something like cerakoting an expert skill you are fully capable at? A side business is most easily executed when it is a skill you already excel at.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:50:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Also... What kind of smoke do you eat? How does one tactically eat aforementioned smoke?

If you BBQ a lot, that would be good to do for cerakoting. Combine the two and I'll eat a baked chicken half and check out the ceramic coating of which you want to peddle

Disclaimer: this is a sarcastic post
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:04:21 AM EDT
[#11]
If you want to get into Cerakoting,  I'll give you all the advice you want.

Be prepared to spend a ton on equipment.  

You need 2, preferably 3 quality HVLP guns.  $350 to $750 each.
You'll need a 48 inch blast cabinet with a reclaim system.  $1500 to $10,000.
A grand in graduated cylinders,  stirring rods,  and a cleaning/storage set up.  
2 grand in Cerakote,  to start.
A grand in sight pushing tools.
A grand in gunsmithing tools.  
I keep about $2k worth of springs,  detents, and other small parts for various guns.
You'll need an oven that is large enough to keep any items in it,  at least 18 inches from the element.  It has to be electric, or not share air with the actual part with parts.  Ovens start at 2k.

Keep enough money around to cover the cost of any gun you'll work on.  USPS insurance won't pay,  despite what they claim.  You'll need a full shipping section with bubble wrap,  etc,  as most business for this isn't local.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:07:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Also... What kind of smoke do you eat? How does one tactically eat aforementioned smoke?

If you BBQ a lot, that would be good to do for cerakoting. Combine the two and I'll eat a baked chicken half and check out the ceramic coating of which you want to peddle

Disclaimer: this is a sarcastic post
View Quote

What's funny is that there are 4 well known refinishing operations in Arkansas.  1 doesn't have an FFL, the other 3 of us are all firemen.  

And all 3 of us are assholes.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:10:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Ok so the whole user name probably wasn't my brightest idea and if I can change it I haven't figured out how yet. As far as the other questions go I do have some experience with refinishing metal and painting... I do understand that this would be a litthe different and there would be a learning curve before I could produce quality enough work that I would feel comfortable with. I do have assistance and experience with bookkeeping/accounting.

As far as barking up the wrong tree I do apologize. Like I said not trying to step on any toes. If I'm not going about this the correct way then how do you suggest I should go about it? I was just trying to get honest feedback on if this is something I should pursue. I wasn't intending to offend anyone.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:16:47 AM EDT
[#14]
I appreciate the reply dan. That's the kind of information I was looking for that hasn't really shown up in my research yet. I didn't know of 4 refinishers. I've heard of you and one other. As far as the firefighter thing goes I understand. I'm currently in the bluff on my 24
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:17:42 AM EDT
[#15]
The air compressor,  I forgot it. I have an 80 gallon compressor,  and it barely keeps up. That's another 2 grand. In addition to the compressor,  you need a high pressure, high efficiency drying system.   And all related plumbing, hoses, etc.  

Blast media,  another 100.

And all the gun parts, cerakote,   media,  some hoses, blast nozzles, blast cabinet gloves,  air filters for you respirator,  and acetone are all consumables.  

I sometimes go through 100 gallons of acetone a week.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:20:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I appreciate the reply dan. That's the kind of information I was looking for that hasn't really shown up in my research yet. I didn't know of 4 refinishers. I've heard of you and one other. As far as the firefighter thing goes I understand. I'm currently in the bluff on my 24
View Quote

I'm about 40 minutes north of you.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:25:22 AM EDT
[#17]
So basically you either take years of little bs here and there or a whole ass load of money that you may or may not get back
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:27:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Damn. I'm glad I do my own cerakoting.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:30:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So basically you either take years of little bs here and there or a whole ass load of money that you may or may not get back
View Quote

If you want to make money,  go big and chance it.  I've been in business for two years,  in that time I've bought put 3 cerakote companies that tried to do a job here and there and couldn't make it work.  One sold me about $2,200 worth of Cerakote,  Stencils,  and Glassware for $100 and me finishing up 3 of his customer's jobs.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:32:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Me too.  I couldn't add the volume you do.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:42:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Everybody has to start somewhere right? This may or may not be the greatest idea I've tossed around but I'm trying to cover all my bases before I dive headfirst into it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:46:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't done anything in months and only have a few projects to do once it warms up. I'm kinda done.

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 1:17:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Everybody has to start somewhere right? This may or may not be the greatest idea I've tossed around but I'm trying to cover all my bases before I dive headfirst into it.
View Quote

Run with it. Enjoy yourself and learn what you can and good luck making money

ETA: meant the luck as well wishes
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 8:08:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Welcome to HTF.

I just came in to say based on username and topic of discussion,
I thought this was D_G's troll acct.  

Good luck in your business endeavors sir.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 11:54:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 11:57:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 11:59:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Ditto.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Welcome to HTF.

Ditto.

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:13:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:22:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Also. That is not a panda in your avatar.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Welcome to HTF.

Ditto.

Also. That is not a panda in your avatar.
She ate the panda.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:56:37 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm not sure how good the refinishing business is right now, but 2014 was an overall terrible year in the firearms business. I'm just glad I have a full time job to pay the bills. Here's to a better 2015!
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 11:03:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm not sure how good the refinishing business is right now, but 2014 was an overall terrible year in the firearms business. I'm just glad I have a full time job to pay the bills. Here's to a better 2015!
View Quote

I haven't quit my other job, that's for sure.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 11:57:13 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

...and to maybe one day get into machining.
View Quote

How much experience do you have in this trade? Priced good machinery and tooling (ya know, not that garbage that Harbor Freight sells), lately? D_G wants me to help him add that sort of capability to his shop. I'm figuring on $30,000-$40,000 to get that ball rolling -- with USED equipment!

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 12:12:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

How much experience do you have in this trade? Priced good machinery and tooling (ya know, not that garbage that Harbor Freight sells), lately? D_G wants me to help him add that sort of capability to his shop. I'm figuring on $30,000-$40,000 to get that ball rolling -- with USED equipment!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excuse me while I set a spindle speed 10% off and burn up a $600 end mill.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 12:22:32 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pfffft!!! Hell, today I was running a 1.000 solid carbide (a $700 mill) on hardened tool steel at 200% of the programmed spindle and feed speeds. It's all about knowing what the hell you're doing.

Left a virtually perfect mirror finish on the part, too!

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 12:23:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Pfffft!!! Hell, today I was running a 1.000 solid carbide (a $700 mill) on hardened tool steel at 200% of the programmed spindle and feed speeds. It's all about knowing what the hell you're doing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is why I pay you the big bucks.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 12:28:43 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shit..............

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 12:31:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:Shit..............

View Quote

When we get some investors, I'll give you a bonus.

Coupon book

To mcdonalds.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 12:55:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Yeah that is why I said MAYBE one day... fellas gotta have dreams right?

On another note thank yall for the input. Given me alot to think about
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top