Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2014 10:43:49 PM EDT
http://www.nwaonline.com/news/2014/dec/19/fee-cut-pitched-for-conceal-carry-guns-/

Dotson said the budget for the state police division that processes those licenses was about $375,544 in fiscal 2014.

"If we were to reduce the fees even by 50 percent across the board, we would still have an excess of $1 million in revenue being collected from this program," he said.

(Sorry, I am not slick at putting article quotes in a box and making a link hot and so forth.  I need to head to the test section)
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:50:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 6:13:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Charging me for "permission" to exercise my rights which they have unjustly restricted... 'Murica. Outfuckingstanding

But, while we have to deal with it, I welcome a fee cut. The CCL makes it easier when dealing with another permission, aka the 4473 background check.
View Quote

Which after a text today with a mutual friend, is not really a background check at all.  "Cross check against a list"    Guess ASP does a more substantial check
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 6:17:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Charging me for "permission" to exercise my rights which they have unjustly restricted... 'Murica. Outfuckingstanding

But, while we have to deal with it, I welcome a fee cut. The CCL makes it easier when dealing with another permission, aka the 4473 background check.
View Quote

This was a poorly-titled thread.  I guess my indignation was because ASP actually make a profit from the CCL process.  The fees don't just fund the labor required to process them, they also use the fees to enrich the agency.

If there's a surplus, the fee needs to be cut back.  Especially for what's already a right.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 7:27:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

This was a poorly-titled thread.  I guess my indignation was because ASP actually make a profit from the CCL process.  The fees don't just fund the labor required to process them, they also use the fees to enrich the agency.

If there's a surplus, the fee needs to be cut back.  Especially for what's already a right.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah we understood.  Several local Pro 2A Facebook groups are hammering this recent discovery.

Apparently the Legislature has some oversight on the Fees which sheds light on their lack of oversight.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 7:52:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's my understanding (I MIGHT be wrong) that the actual CHL fee that comes in, goes to the retirement fund.

Operational costs come from the general fund.

So they would argue that they lose money on it.

As far as the consistency of the checks goes, a NICS check is only a comparison of the submitted data to a list of people with a "positive Brady indicator".   The stuff I could tell you about that would make your fucking head spin.

For the feds to approve a CHL to make one exempt for a NICS, they process to get the CHL must be more thorough than the NICS check.

In the case of ASP and the CHL process, as I recall, They run you through {#1) NCIC (national crime information center) which is as it sounds. A national crime database. The idea was that all states, counties, tribes, etc would take part and submit reports and get terminals to run people, stolen guns, etc. There are something like 21 divisions of files in the NCIC, 14 for people, 7 for property.    It's a decent idea, and like everything else the government does, it's executed poorly.   The .gov will rape other .gov agencies just like it'll rape us. We pay $200 for a tax stamp, an NCIC terminal is $10,000(If I remember correctly).    And they look for excuses to punish you by taking your terminal away and making you buy another one.

Consequently, lots and lots of agencies, and it seems like one entire state just don't take part. But I could be wrong on that last part.

#2 The ACIC, same thing, at a state level. I don't know how much the terminals are, but they're not as much, and from what I gather the information is even more fucked up.

and finally, (#3) the county you reside in. Or counties you have resided in within a certain time frame.   As far as I know, they simply send a terminal message/fax/letter to the county or counties informing them that you have applied for a chl, and asking them if there is any reason why shouldn't receive one.  

Basically a similar statement to a form 4 or form 1, for individuals.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 8:25:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Now, the hidden dirt.

City LE agencies are rarely who handle prosecutions.   The county is usually who handles incarceration and prosecution of citizens.  Why is this important? Because county LE agencies usually pay like shit. (here in PUCO, there are street deputies who don't make enough to even make the salary list that agencies have to publish periodically) Scroll past the mugshots

PUCO has some great deputies, I work with them a lot, so I'm not trashing them. I bring it up because I think we can all agree that it's a lot harder to get, and keep, good, competent people when you pay your deputies 10k less than the city pays it's kids in the academy.  And 15k less than beginning street cops. And charge them so much for insurance they they almost have to pay to work there after insurance if they have a family.

And the clerks, secretaries, etc make even less.

Reality being what it is, those underpaid clerks often have "dont' give a fuck" attitudes.   (again, i'm generalizing here, not calling out anyone, because a lot of clerks don't have those attitudes, and street cops that do, don't last very long)  a lowly 21k a year clerk can be far more dangerous to you than a street cop.

Let's say Larry Johnson gets arrested for a fight with his wife. He catches a domestic battery charge, gets convicted. Boom, instant loss of 2A rights. "Positive Brady Indicator" is the key phrase.

Some clerk is in charge of entering things that can give you a positive brady indicator, like criminal case dispositions, protection orders, etc.   They type in "Johnson, Larry" and get 100 hits, so they start entering a DOB to narrow it down. It cuts it down to three.  Ok, a good clerk will look at the file, and check race, which will take one or two more, SS number, which will obviously make it clear which one it is, or something like that. What usually happens with the poorly paid people is that they highlight all 3 and go to the next one. Now, two innocent guys have positive brady indicators.  This can happen many times a day with one clerk in a large agency.

I was once charged with a crime, had everything dropped and ended up listed as a convicted felon in the ACIC.  I was buying guns and all kinds of other things but the state had me as a felon.   Why? when the disposition was entered, they simply clicked the wrong box. I had to go to the third in charge of the ACIC to get it fixed.  

This is why 'background checks" are bullshit and unconstitutional.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:19:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Just as a point about county pay________The county employees are getting a 4% raise this year ......except that now due to Obama care employees are having to pay into their own insurance plans.

In 2015 this amount will be $135.00 monthly just to keep the plan they've had for years< employees have already been told to expect an increase in that every year until 2018 when it may go away completely and they will be forced onto the open market.

Just this last month some especially smart employees sat down and figured out the math and if a county employee who makes less than $37,000 a year and wants to keep the insurance plan they currently have they are actually going to loose $300.00 a year even with the 4% raise and its already been promised that these rates will be going up!  

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:20:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The county employees are getting a 4% raise this year ......except that now due to Obama care employees are having to pay into their own insurance plans.

In 2015 this amount will be $135.00 monthly just to keep the plan they've had for years< employees have already been told to expect an increase in that every year until 2018 when it may go away completely and they will be forced onto the open market.

Just this last month some especially smart employees sat down and figured out the math and if a county employee who makes less than $37,000 a year and wants to keep the insurance plan they currently have they are actually going to loose $300.00 a year even with the 4% raise and its already been promised that these rates will be going up!  

View Quote

The wife carries me as well, and we need to add the girls. $1300 a month I think it was. It might have been more.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 5:49:56 PM EDT
[#9]
The fact that the ASP would be making money off the CHL was well known when the CHL law was passed.  The law probably would not have passed without the ASP making a good profit off the law.  The money was the hanging fruit the legislators dangled in front of the ASP.  The leadership of the ASP was far more anti CHL then than they are now.  Some of the easing of restrictions also probably would not have happened without the $$$ the ASP has seen.  They now want people getting CHL's so they have more money.  They still don't really want us to have guns they just want the $$$.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top