Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/30/2014 9:25:50 PM EDT
Reading of contact with an off duty ASP officer in Walmart in Search from yesterday.    He was OCing and confronted.

This was his initial post.

Store Manager for Wal-Mart in Searcy does not allow the open carry of firearms in his store unless you are a police officer. Just thought I'd let everyone know so they aren't assaulted by an off duty ASP officer while they are there like I was tonight.
View Quote

Followed up with this.

Forcibly grabbed and twisted my arm before saying he was ASP, and did not show his badge when I asked to see it. I got free and called 911 as I was going to exit the store and he was following me. Dispatch told me to stay in the store and tell an employee. When I told the employee and pointed him out, he then lifted his shirt so his badge and gun were visible. Searcy Police showed up and were very respectful and professional, they asked for my ID, and I gave it to them. The ASP officer proceeded to yell and curse at me, and the SPD officer asked me if I had a way home and let me go.
View Quote

Holy crap!   I'm surprised there wasn't a shoot out.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 10:35:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd react by wanting to see the video.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 10:50:35 PM EDT
[#2]
That was suggested!  ;)
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 10:55:29 PM EDT
[#3]
ASP are typically the most professional of LEOs around. IF it was a state LEO, and the story happened as claimed, it was probably a Parole and Probation officer or Prison guard. Some of them like to claim to be ASP.  As far as the one idiot in the FB thread claiming that an LEO must ID himself before acting, well, he's an idiot.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 11:17:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As far as the one idiot in the FB thread claiming that an LEO must ID himself before acting, well, he's an idiot.
View Quote

Which goes back to my original question.   Some guy in civilian clothes twists my arm, and I'm armed and makes some LEO claim without any identifying markings.    Is it real or memorex?
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 11:18:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Which goes back to my original question.   Some guy in civilian clothes twists my arm, and I'm armed and makes some LEO claim without any identifying markings.    Is it real or memorex?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As far as the one idiot in the FB thread claiming that an LEO must ID himself before acting, well, he's an idiot.

He wouldn't have had the time to make the claim before I broke him in various ways. And the camera would have proven my self defense claim.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 11:30:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

He wouldn't have had the time to make the claim before I broke him in various ways. And the camera would have proven my self defense claim.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So why did you go off on a tangent?   Did you fall of a horse of something?  lol  
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 11:39:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
ASP are typically the most professional of LEOs around. IF it was a state LEO, and the story happened as claimed, it was probably a Parole and Probation officer or Prison guard. Some of them like to claim to be ASP.  As far as the one idiot in the FB thread claiming that an LEO must ID himself before acting, well, he's an idiot.
View Quote

I will tell you I deal with police everyday in my job and this could not be further from my experience. ASP believe they are the best, and they are trained on a wider variety than most locals. The problem is that means less training on each topic. My first guess would be that this was a ASP. And I will tell you most local police can't stand ASP. Which would explain the reaction. When locals got there.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 11:39:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

So why did you go off on a tangent?   Did you fall of a horse of something?  lol  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My head isn't what I hit.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 11:40:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I will tell you I deal with police everyday in my job and this could not be further from my experience. ASP believe they are the best, and they are trained on a wider variety than most locals. The problem is that means less training on each topic. My first guess would be that this was a ASP. And I will tell you most local police can't stand ASP. Which would explain the reaction. When locals got there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The other agencies we deal with at my job can't keep LEOs long enough to train them well at all. But yeah, a rivalry absolutely exists.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 11:46:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The other agencies we deal with at my job can't keep LEOs long enough to train them well at all. But yeah, a rivalry absolutely exists.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fayetteville does a good job keeping people so with little turn over it fuels the rivalry. I understand the ASP pay and benefits May be better but surprisingly most locals I know have no interest. And of course just like any other profession there are good and bad cops. Don't mean to profile lol.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 2:31:08 AM EDT
[#11]
I've had four interactions with ASP

One went great

The next was meh

The third was egregious. This particular ASP hobbit troll is well known not only in the civilian world and local LE agencies as a jerk, he is also well known among his fellow ASP as a total douchebag. Some of you may remember that interaction from fb.

The fourth was in relation to the third... And it didn't go well either. Turns out ASP don't like to be addressed by the people they serve... Especially when they are out at lunch in uniform. One said that public "isn't court" and I should leave them alone. You don't like interacting with the public? Get another job.

So the story in the OP doesn't surprise me. They don't seem to police their ranks like they protect the shit out of us.

/rant
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 4:18:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've had four interactions with ASP

One went great

The next was meh

The third was egregious. This particular ASP hobbit troll is well known not only in the civilian world and local LE agencies as a jerk, he is also well known among his fellow ASP as a total douchebag. Some of you may remember that interaction from fb.

The fourth was in relation to the third... And it didn't go well either. Turns out ASP don't like to be addressed by the people they serve... Especially when they are out at lunch in uniform. One said that public "isn't court" and I should leave them alone. You don't like interacting with the public? Get another job.

So the story in the OP doesn't surprise me. They don't seem to police their ranks like they protect the shit out of us.

/rant
View Quote

All of my interactions with ASP have been uneventful, but I can see that they walk as they want.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 10:20:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vertical video for extra credit.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 2:01:08 AM EDT
[#14]
And we're off.................................................

OP posted an update today.   Looks like this officer has upped the anti.   Same officer, on duty this time, not his AO,  approaches same individual in Walmart.    

I was in Walmart today to talk to asset protection, and officer Ziegenhorn confronted me again. This time he was in uniform. He asked me if I was carrying and I said No, because I was not carrying at the time. He asked for my identification and I told him that I did not have to give him my identification and that I was going to call 911. Then I was PUT IN HANDCUFFS and taken outside and my CHCL was confiscated. After several minutes, I was free to go, and went back inside to talk to asset protection. I talked for a few minutes with Sara (who was awesome, by the way) and she confirmed Walmart policy and said I was allowed to carry in the store.

I've already filed another police report for this incident. The lawyer I was going to talk to can't see me until next week, so If any of you lawyers would be so kind as to contact me and give a little guidance, that would be much appreciated.

View Quote
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 10:27:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 12:26:11 AM EDT
[#16]
I haven't had enough interactions with ASP or SPD to say anything positive or negative about either. If the story is true, sounds like an over-zealous (if well-meaning) state peace officer has gone above and beyond, but in the wrong direction.

Sadly, I doubt that the reports filed will have any real effect, and the lawsuit will cost more than it is worth in the end.  I wish such matters would be handled by docking the offending officer a week's pay and awarding it to the aggrieved, but unfortunately it is pretty much always the law-abiding citizens (and/or taxpayers) who bear the brunt of the payout.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 9:49:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I have very little regard for ASP in general. There is one that works/worked in the LR area that was the personification of professional police officer during my interaction with her. Her name is Cpl Chapman and if the situation ever arises, I will be an armed and mediocre ally for her. The other members of ASP can, at best, expect me to be an indifferent bystander.

An ASP trooper named Cpl Baxter works the LR area and is a bully and a liar.

ETA: I did see an ASP trooper helping a woman with a flat tire on I 40 just east of Conway a few weeks ago. It caught my attention because I had so low regard for ASP and this event caused me to add an addendum to my general hatred for that agency.
So far, for the last 22 years or so, my experiences with NLRPD have been positive. There was one minor exception and his supervisor set him straight, so no harm, no foul. It may change tomorrow, but as of now I am proud of NLRPD.  

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 7:08:20 PM EDT
[#18]
For an update:

This guy was arrested in Searcy on Sat from a warrant issued from ASP.     Stemming from the incident in Walmart.

For those of you who don't already know, Searcy PD came to my house Saturday morning with a warrant for my arrest for "Obstructing Governmental Operations" (5-54-102). I found out today that the same State Trooper filed the affidavit for the incident that happened on Nov 29. Spent a few hours in jail and I'm out on bail. Court is March 5.
View Quote

This cop, if you can even call him one, and those involved really need to go to jail.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 7:12:15 PM EDT
[#19]
The full story will be really interesting I bet.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 7:17:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I keep wondering if there's more to the story or is this cop really that stupid.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 7:43:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I keep wondering if there's more to the story or is this cop really that stupid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably both.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top