Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/11/2014 9:39:50 PM EDT

I vaguely remember us discussing them in the past. Can anyone give me any info on them besides what they have on their website? Are they worth the fee for a class, how is the training, any likes or dislikes about them from anyone who has first hand experience?

Thanks

Link Posted: 11/12/2014 12:23:52 AM EDT
[#1]
My buddy took long range I and II and LOVED them.  But those are the only classes he's taken, so nothing really to compare it to.

My buddy is a fairly good shot, but he was making 1k yard shots by the middle of the first class.  His longest shot was on the last day, 1250yds.

If you PM me your cell I'll have my buddy text you.

-J
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 4:22:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Long story short:

I had my sister take their LRPR I class before her deployment to A-stan.  She did not have the opportunity to qualify in boot camp and all but embarrassed her self on the range in a pre-deployment training evolution. Given that Mr. White Jr. and she were from an Air Force background, I thought he would be the best person to instruct her.  It was best decision she could have made.  I even paid for her ammo.

She is now a better shot than myself and her husband, having consistently (as possible) put rounds on target at 800+yds with a 16" AR-15.

You will be taught the basics, you will have practiced fundamentals, and within three days, you will be hitting targets out to 900yds at least depending on where you take the course.  Most (not all) of their instructors are either Air Force Security or Army scout snipers.  Very much worth the money, and extremely nice folks.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 8:07:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I've taken their LR Hunter, LR 1, and LR 2 courses.  

The hunting class was a good practical course for beginners, and showed you the capability and limitations of your pencil barreled deer hunting caliber rifle.  I saw a 17 year old kid in my class nailing steel targets at 650 yards with a 30-06, and I easily did 600 with my own deer rifle.  For my rifle, 600 was the limit for reliable hits.  Prior to that I would have told you I would never risk a shot beyond 200 yards because I had no realistic idea what my rifle or I was capable of.

The level one LR class expanded on the fundamentals (breathing, trigger press, positioning, maintaining data books, compensating for environmental conditions, etc) and I was out to 1000 yards with my .308 in no time.  The first time I hit at 1000 I grinned like an idiot.    I found the limitations of my LR bolt gun in this class, and ultimately bought another rifle to go beyond 1000 yards.  The LR bug will get you.  

Level two class expanded on all the above and went into range estimation without using a laser range finder.  THe instructors added some fun challenges and kept changing the the target fields and terrain to keep the class fun and keep pushing the students to get better.  

The instructors are all professional, knowledgable, and I found the environment a friendly one to learn in.  It was money well spent IMB.  One student had a scope crap out in the middle of day two of the class, and I watched Mr. White take the scope off his personal rifle and put it on top the students rifle to get him back in motion.  These guys want you to learn and have a good time while you're doing it.  

Don't hesitate.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 10:42:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I've taken I and II back when the cost was $350. It was a steal at those prices and is still a great deal.
Courses like these across the country are often twice that.  Ron is an awesome guy who runs a tight ship. You will be a better shot than most after taking one of these courses.
It is money well spent. I suggest taking level I to start with and skipping the 2 day hunter class unless you just can't swing a 3 day class. I think he still requires taking level I as a requirement prior to level II. The hunter class won't count toward taking level II as far as I know.

Warning: things get expensive afterwards.

Link Posted: 11/14/2014 1:06:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Long story short:

I had my sister take their LRPR I class before her deployment to A-stan.  She did not have the opportunity to qualify in boot camp and all but embarrassed her self on the range in a pre-deployment training evolution. Given that Mr. White Jr. and she were from an Air Force background, I thought he would be the best person to instruct her.  It was best decision she could have made.  I even paid for her ammo.

She is now a better shot than myself and her husband, having consistently (as possible) put rounds on target at 800+yds with a 16" AR-15.

You will be taught the basics, you will have practiced fundamentals, and within three days, you will be hitting targets out to 900yds at least depending on where you take the course.  Most (not all) of their instructors are either Air Force Security or Army scout snipers.  Very much worth the money, and extremely nice folks.
View Quote

I remember your sister well, she has what it takes to be great LR shooter.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:06:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I've worked with Ron and some of his instructors for years. Great group of guys from a wide range of shooting backgrounds. I promise you'll learn a lot from those guys.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 9:31:02 AM EDT
[#7]
A long range class that's directed towards hunting?  Interesting.
I use an old Weatherby Vanguard in .308 as my deer rilfe.  I pretty much have to draw the line at 200 yards.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:30:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Long story short:

Yeah, I brought up the idea of doing competitions with her.  But she's in AZ now raising a family.  I won't interrupt that for the moment.

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:36:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yeah, I brought up the idea of doing competitions with her.  But she's in AZ now raising a family.  I won't interrupt that for the moment.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Long story short:

She is one of my FB friends, and her little one is awesome
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top