Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2014 10:06:43 PM EDT
Info from LRPD about the recent brash of home burglaries.   I posted about my experience.
This was posted on a local Facebook group.

Below is another good email from Lt. Timmons about recent burglaries (6 paragraphs)...

We have been seeing an increase in thieves using a particular tactic to break into homes. They walk up and knock on the door, if you answer they ask about yard work or ask to talk to someone you don’t know. When you answer the door, they leave quickly and go to another house a block or two away to try again.

If you don’t answer the door, they go into the back yard, knock again, and if no answer, they kick in the door. Once in, they may open your garage to pull their vehicle inside or just carry everything to their car (usually a borrowed or stolen car, often taken during a previous burglary.)

If someone knocks on your door, please try to look out and see the vehicle they are driving. It’s up to you whether you answer the door, however, if you don’t answer and they go to the backyard, CALL 911 IMMEDIATELY and stay on the phone with the 911 call-taker!People with legitimate business do not wander off into strangers backyards. If it’s a meter reader, he won’t knock and he should be carrying a clipboard or more often, a digital meter reader machine.

We have recently arrested an entire crew of young men who were using this technique and recovered several stolen vehicles from them. The stolen gray 2014 Dodge Charger they were using was traded for drugs and we haven’t yet found it. Please don’t leave your keys in the car (even a spare set).

One vehicle that we are interested in finding is a white, 2001 Ford Expedition, bearing Ark License 277-TZD. If you see this vehicle, please call the police and report it as suspicious.

One last thing, we’ve learned that many of our young thieves are selling their stolen electronics on the street to passers-by. So, if you pull onto a fast food lot, or any other parking lot and see someone selling TV’s or X-boxes, or other electronics from their car, please write down the license number and car description and call or email me. Don’t confront them, just let us know so we can start some follow-up. Being our eyes and ears out there is extremely helpful.

Lt. Scott Timmons
LRPD NorthWest Division
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:22:23 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're in my backyard and you don't look like a utility-man or a kid fetching a ball, you're probably going to be doing some 'splainin at the pointy end of a stick you don't want to be looking down...
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:23:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you're in my backyard and you don't look like a utility-man or a kid fetching a ball, you're probably going to be doing some 'splainin at the pointy end of a stick you don't want to be looking down...
View Quote

I've heard the barrel of a 22 looks like a howitzer from the wrong end
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:07:17 AM EDT
[#3]
This would work out badly for them. I don't answer the door for random knocks. People call first, or they can yell who they are if they know I'm home. Currently, my wife is confined to a recliner in line of sight of both doors, and she's armed. She won't be getting up to answer the door either.  She'll shoot a bitch though.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:19:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Any info regarding which particluar areas of LR have been affected by this particular scheme?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:00:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Any info regarding which particluar areas of LR have been affected by this particular scheme?
View Quote

YES...ours!   Remember they knocked on MY door.    They were at several houses within a block of me.   Hillcrest area is where it seems worse.    I have a friend where the chase for one of the arrests went through her back yard.   She was sitting on her deck and observed the chase.   She didn't know what was going on.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:09:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

YES...ours!   Remember they knocked on MY door.    They were at several houses within a block of me.   Hillcrest area is where it seems worse.    I have a friend where the chase for one of the arrests went through her back yard.   She was sitting on her decked and observed the chase.   She didn't know what was going on.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

YES...ours!   Remember they knocked on MY door.    They were at several houses within a block of me.   Hillcrest area is where it seems worse.    I have a friend where the chase for one of the arrests went through her back yard.   She was sitting on her decked and observed the chase.   She didn't know what was going on.

Dammit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top