Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2014 5:36:28 PM EDT
The 2nd trial was scheduled for tomorrow.   This was a better test case as this guy was arrested for carrying concealed without a permit.   This is what his attorney posted:

Well I have some bad news. I've talked to (person) and (person) about this beforehand so hopefully I can explain it to everybody and make some sense.

I received a call from the prosecutor handling the case today, finally. The conversation was about (this) case set for tomorrow. Some things were discussed that I would not agree because I knew that (person) would not agree to them. After that he informed me that the elected prosecutor does not want to be the test case for the new act but the Deputy/Sheriff's office do not want to drop the charge.

He then tells me that I can drive up there tomorrow but he'll be requesting a continuance. Every district court in the state allows each side one continuance without hesitation. So I asked that if he was going to do that to please do it today so I didn't drive up there to stand around for no reason. He said consider it done and the case is now continued.

So (person) case is not happening tomorrow. If there was something I could do I would.

To answer a few questions beforehand, Speedy trial in Arkansas is 1 year from date of arrest. Every district court allows 1 continuance per side just because they ask. I will let everyone know when the new date is.

My thoughts on this, which I normally don't discuss open cases, but feel that it is warranted in this instance, are that the prosecutor knows that he can't meet the burden of proof to proceed, but is stuck by his local law enforcement being difficult and he will be making an effort to convince the sheriff's department that it is pushing for a case that can't be won.

I'm happy to answer any questions, try not to yell at me too much as I'm ready to get this one behind all of us.
View Quote

So there ya have it.   Another delay for a trial that will more than likely not happen.  At this pace all this might fall on the next AG that takes over.   Both(actually three of them) of which have stated they feel Act 746 gives us Open Carry or Constitutional Carry although wishy washy about things.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:03:50 AM EDT
[#1]
It shouldn't matter if law enforcement wants it dropped or not.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:08:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Wouldn't it be the decision of the SA?

Either way, this will be an interesting case to follow.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:17:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SA?  State Attorney?   That would be the prosecuting attorney.   Actually according to what was posted it's the "elected" prosecuting attorney, who has appointed attorney's under him,  who does not wish to try the case or be the guinea pig for the state.

Either way if they drop the case that is basically caving to Constitutional Carry.   They don't want to do that.   They also do not wish to try the case for fear of losing.   If they sit on this hopefully another case from another jurisdiction may come up.   But this allows other LE agencies to continue to make arrests.   Odds are they are getting directions from the Attorney Generals(McDaniels) office.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:15:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh, yeah, prosecuting attorney would make more sense. Oops.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:45:26 AM EDT
[#5]
It is nice to see the state in a position where they have to actually make a decision on this though.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:04:52 PM EDT
[#6]
You telling me i cant dress up like rambo and go for my morning jog yet?

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:26:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

http://static.planetminecraft.com/files/resource_media/screenshot/1209/fuuuu-rage-guy1_1596246.jpg
View Quote

You can! But you might also be raped. Your choice.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:28:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

http://static.planetminecraft.com/files/resource_media/screenshot/1209/fuuuu-rage-guy1_1596246.jpg
View Quote

That's some fudd shit right there
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 7:14:08 PM EDT
[#9]
So...can I carry a loaded pistol in my vehicle in that state when I visit, or not? I am moving in a few months and would have to turn my LA CCW in, anyway, so I just let it lapse.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:01:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So...can I carry a loaded pistol in my vehicle in that state when I visit, or not? I am moving in a few months and would have to turn my LA CCW in, anyway, so I just let it lapse.
View Quote

There are stipulations on the law. Technically it says you have to be on a trip outside of your home county. Since no cop can really prove where you're going without following you, they can't prove that you're not leaving the county on a drive unless you open your mouth and tell them.

Why give up your CHL? Just transfer it to Arkansas.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:49:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

There are stipulations on the law. Technically it says you have to be on a trip outside of your home county. Since no cop can really prove where you're going without following you, they can't prove that you're not leaving the county on a drive unless you open your mouth and tell them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The "Journey" portion is only a "part" of the reworded law.   That's what the AG keeps referring to while ignoring the real change.   The real change comes from the reworded ACA 5-73-120 (a) A person commits the offense of carrying a weapon if he or she possesses a handgun, knife, or club on or about his or her person, in a vehicle occupied by him or her, or otherwise readily available for use with a purpose to attempt to unlawfully employ the handgun, knife, or club as a weapon against a person.

The WORDS in BOLD were added by Act 746.  It is true they finally defined what a "Journey" was however.   But section (a) renders the journey portion null.

That is the meat of the amended statute.    And it doesn't specify concealed or open.  Thus "Constitutional Carry" is inferred.

There are still advantages to having a CCL.

This is how the author of the Bill, Denny Altes, sees how the rewording affected us:

Open Carry has always been the law in Arkansas since at least the 1800s. When most people walked out their front door, they assumed they were on a “journey” or going hunting, and thousands open carried for over a century. “Journey” was not defined.

It was against the law to conceal a weapon or gun. So, for well over a hundred years you had to open carry. If you put your gun in your glove box or under your seat,or under your clothes you were breaking the law. You had to carry your gun so that it was plainly visible on your body or on the seat of your car or on the dash (According to A.C.A. § 5-73-120).

Then, in1997, Senator Bill Walters passed the Concealed Carry law (Ark. Code Ann. §§5-73-301 – 323), which is a totally different section of code addressing a different issue.

In 2011,I had heard many different discussions on carrying in Arkansas, and I wanted to clarify the law,especially Section 120. I asked the State Police lawyer to help me. We spent a lot of time coming up with a bill to please everyone. The people teaching classes for Concealed Carry didn’t want the law clarified because it would cut into their livelihood and also the State Police would take a revenue cut on the money from people buying licenses. So, in the end, my bill passed the House but failed in the Senate at the end of the session.

In 2013, I started earlier with the same bill, but the State Police had changed their mind on a few things. So, we wound-up with a totally different bill. Also, the University System wanted me to exclude their campuses.

We had several meetings with the Sheriff’s Association, the Chiefs of Police association, the Prosecutors’ Association, and the State Police. The old code was written so there were many defenses to carrying a weapon. So, I asked why not make it a right with exceptions. This met with approval from everyone. It seems that it is two sides of the same coin.

So, we didn’t really change the law, we only clarified that it is a right to keep and bear arms according to the Second Amendment of our Constitution (According to Webster’s “bear” means “to carry”)."

~ Denny Altes
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:27:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The "Journey" portion is only a "part" of the reworded law.   That's what the AG keeps referring to while ignoring the real change.   The real change comes from the reworded ACA 5-73-120 (a) A person commits the offense of carrying a weapon if he or she possesses a handgun, knife, or club on or about his or her person, in a vehicle occupied by him or her, or otherwise readily available for use with a purpose to attempt to unlawfully employ the handgun, knife, or club as a weapon against a person.

The WORDS in BOLD were added by Act 746.  It is true they finally defined what a "Journey" was however.   But section (a) renders the journey portion null.

That is the meat of the amended statute.    And it doesn't specify concealed or open.  Thus "Constitutional Carry" is inferred.

This is how the author of the Bill, Denny Altes, sees how the rewording affected us:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Open Carry has always been the law in Arkansas since at least the 1800s. When most people walked out their front door, they assumed they were on a “journey” or going hunting, and thousands open carried for over a century. “Journey” was not defined.

It was against the law to conceal a weapon or gun. So, for well over a hundred years you had to open carry. If you put your gun in your glove box or under your seat,or under your clothes you were breaking the law. You had to carry your gun so that it was plainly visible on your body or on the seat of your car or on the dash (According to A.C.A. § 5-73-120).

Then, in1997, Senator Bill Walters passed the Concealed Carry law (Ark. Code Ann. §§5-73-301 – 323), which is a totally different section of code addressing a different issue.

In 2011,I had heard many different discussions on carrying in Arkansas, and I wanted to clarify the law,especially Section 120. I asked the State Police lawyer to help me. We spent a lot of time coming up with a bill to please everyone. The people teaching classes for Concealed Carry didn’t want the law clarified because it would cut into their livelihood and also the State Police would take a revenue cut on the money from people buying licenses. So, in the end, my bill passed the House but failed in the Senate at the end of the session.

In 2013, I started earlier with the same bill, but the State Police had changed their mind on a few things. So, we wound-up with a totally different bill. Also, the University System wanted me to exclude their campuses.

We had several meetings with the Sheriff’s Association, the Chiefs of Police association, the Prosecutors’ Association, and the State Police. The old code was written so there were many defenses to carrying a weapon. So, I asked why not make it a right with exceptions. This met with approval from everyone. It seems that it is two sides of the same coin.

So, we didn’t really change the law, we only clarified that it is a right to keep and bear arms according to the Second Amendment of our Constitution (According to Webster’s “bear” means “to carry”)."

~ Denny Altes

My cwp stated that I had 30 days from the time I moved to turn it in as void. I didn't bother renewing because it was just a risk I took. I can't carry at work and at the gym it's difficult as hell with the compound lifts I do and what I wear. I rarely go elsewhere not in my vehicle. Mmqb away, but it's what happened. I will get a new cwp when I move. In the mean time...it sounds like I can carry a loaded weapon in my vehicle yes?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:49:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

My cwp stated that I had 30 days from the time I moved to turn it in as void. I didn't bother renewing because it was just a risk I took. I can't carry at work and at the gym it's difficult as hell with the compound lifts I do and what I wear. I rarely go elsewhere not in my vehicle. Mmqb away, but it's what happened. I will get a new cwp when I move. In the mean time...it sounds like I can carry a loaded weapon in my vehicle yes?
View Quote

Well obviously I'm no attorney but the general consensus is you'll be GTG.  We are still in a transition phase here in Arkansas.  Some LEO and PAs are still not on board.   However many LE departments are saying be cautious when dealing with calls about Open Carry due to the possibility of further lawsuits against those departments for false arrest.   The election later this year will hopefully change some things even more in OC favor because our current anti-gun Attorney General will be gone.    Both primary candidates have expressed they both feel the Act 746 changes give us OC or more correctly true Constitutional Carry.

As was mentioned there are still some advantages to have a concealed license.   One is for the background check when buying guns.   Two has to do with the gun free zone thing.  Having a license get's one a pass.  And three if of course when traveling out of state with a firearm.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:53:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Since 746 i have seen a lot more businesses putting up anti-gun stickers on their doors.

I'm thinking about creating a boycott website and facebook group for CHL holders and general gun owners to shame them in the open and pressure them into being reasonable and stop the anti-gun crap.

I don't do business with those idiots putting up those stickers on the doors and I tell them that face to face.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:03:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Since 746 i have seen a lot more businesses putting up anti-gun stickers on their doors.

I'm thinking about creating a boycott website and facebook group for CHL holders and general gun owners to shame them in the open and pressure them into being reasonable and stop the anti-gun crap.

I don't do business with those idiots putting up those stickers on the doors and I tell them that face to face.
View Quote

The problem with "anti-gun" stickers is unless you actually ask the owner what they really mean with those signs, some of them anyway, could be misconstrued.    Some of the no guns signs are meant for the "thug" mentality and hood rats and if you ask the owners they have no problem with concealed carry.   Some are indeed anti gun.  Some are just anti OC.    I can accept NO OC as long as they support at least carrying concealed.

Not everybody likes icky guns.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:39:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The problem with "anti-gun" stickers is unless you actually ask the owner what they really mean with those signs, some of them anyway, could be misconstrued.    Some of the no guns signs are meant for the "thug" mentality and hood rats and if you ask the owners they have no problem with concealed carry.   Some are indeed anti gun.  Some are just anti OC.    I can accept NO OC as long as they support at least carrying concealed.

View Quote

Their opinion doesn't matter on concealed carry. If a lawful CHL holder walks through that door with a sticker on it then they are a felon and can be arrested and lose their rights. Through the store manager's/owner's ignorance, they are allowing their business to become less safe while also disarming or criminalizing customers.  If they feel strongly against firearms then they need to accept loss of revenue. 80% of a business' income comes from 20% of their customer base.

I support rational open-carry. The idiots carrying rifles/shotguns into restaurants in Texas are retarded. You can't secure a firearm while eating and it's not safe. They're just idiots. It's not rational or practical. If you're on a hike or something then fine, but there is zero use for a rifle in a Taco Bell or Chilis unless it's a time of natural disaster or crisis like Katrina.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:10:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Their opinion doesn't matter on concealed carry. If a lawful CHL holder walks through that door with a sticker on it then they are a felon and can be arrested and lose their rights. Through the store manager's/owner's ignorance, they are allowing their business to become less safe while also disarming or criminalizing customers.  If they feel strongly against firearms then they need to accept loss of revenue. 80% of a business' income comes from 20% of their customer base.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not so sure I would call them a Felon.  I don't even think there is a punishment for carrying concealed in a signed business.  A misdemeanor perhaps but again it's not mentioned.   The ASP "might" take your license but again there is nothing in the statute about the punishment.   The business could trespass you but then all you would need to do is leave.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:11:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'm not so sure I would call them a Felon.  I don't even think there is a punishment for carrying concealed in a signed business.  A misdemeanor perhaps but again it's not mentioned.   The ASP "might" take your license but again there is nothing in the statute about the punishment.   The business could trespass you but then all you would need to do is leave.
View Quote

Well, it depends which prohibited area that you carry a firearm in. I'm sure a private business is most likely a misdemeanor, but others on the list would be more serious from trumped-up law garbage.
It's all very stupid to have "gun-free" zones because they don't prevent crime and only encourage mass murder from people being unarmed and soft targets; ie any mass shooting since the 90s
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:06:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Someone was issued a warning yesterday in Fayetteville for OC.  Gun was removed and placed in person vehicle.     This morning at 2 am someone OCing at Walmart in Cabot was cited with 5-73-120, Carrying a Weapon.  Gun was taken but given back in parking lot.   Friendly contact and officer basically said he was following the Chiefs instructions.   Running the Cabot one down now.

And for an update....looks like Dave Elswick is jumping on the Cabot one.  Might be on air tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 9:43:53 PM EDT
[#20]
So if you cannot afford a CCW, you do not have the right to protect yourself, and you also cannot protect yourself in your home county, you have to be on a trip. It makes perfect sense.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 11:08:29 PM EDT
[#21]
And the Cabot one has escalated quickly.    The person already has an attorney from NLR.   Looks like this case will skip the local court and go right to District court.   The PA wants this settled as well.   Arraignment is Oct 8th.   Also a letter about OC from the Cabot city attorney has been discovered.   In it he basically is directing LE to cite and disarm, but not arrest(although technically it's still an arrest), individuals who OC but leave groups alone.  No mention of those who conceal without a license.  Something else that we are not capable of doing since Act 746.   This one might cost the city some money.

This persons name has not been released yet.

And FYI the Lonoke county Sheriff is onboard.   Seems very Pro 2A.

For the Fayettville "Warning" one there is a planned OC gathering at some place on the street where this one took place.   The business where they will be gathering is Pro OC.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 11:54:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Disarm individuals, but not groups...

Sounds legit.

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 12:17:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Disarm individuals, but not groups...

Sounds legit.

View Quote

Reminds me of other groups that only target the weak . . . Gangs.  That's what we call them.  I forgot.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 1:25:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So if you cannot afford a CCW, you do not have the right to protect yourself, and you also cannot protect yourself in your home county, you have to be on a trip. It makes perfect sense.
View Quote

.... you could just carry concealed.

?
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 3:13:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Yep.  Despite what concealed carry instructors ate claiming, Arkansas has no law making the carrying of a firearm illegal.  CHL or not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top