Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2014 2:20:49 PM EDT
Had my first cop encounter while carrying a gun today. Working from home, called popo about some drunken vagrants in the neighborhood.  Later, a cop rings my doorbell, I answer, he says "Hi, are you sdailey5?" I said, "Yes and I have a license and a gun on me." He just said "ok" and went on to inquire about the bums.

It was everything I could have hope for (with the exception of being legally obligated to notify).
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 2:57:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Had my first cop encounter while carrying a gun today. Working from home, called popo about some drunken vagrants in the neighborhood.  Later, a cop rings my doorbell, I answer, he says "Hi, are you sdailey5?" I said, "Yes and I have a license and a gun on me." He just said "ok" and went on to inquire about the bums.

It was everything I could have hope for (with the exception of being legally obligated to notify).
View Quote

I think if I am on my own property you don't need to say squat.   I would of course tell him just to know he's safe with me.  But that's a courtesy not out of a requirement.    Also due to Act 746 I think the whole notifying thing is sort of out there now.   Since you can carry without a license now and the Weapons statutes do not say anything about notifying.  Only the CCW statues mention it.  Oh and the CCW statutes only say "Upon demand by law enforcement" anyway.

As was reported on Facebook I was part of a group carrying in NLR on Saturday night.   A customer in the restaurant we were eating called 911 because of all the icky guns.  NLR PD showed up(because they were called), asked a few questions and then left.  No issues at all.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 3:35:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Interesting.  Guess I need to go read the law again.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 3:50:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Just remember the CCW statutes were written before Act 746 changed things.   Due to Act 746 some things in the CCW statutes should probably be considered null and void or not applicable.   There are still some advantages to having a  CCW however.   Basically we're now in a transition period.   I will say that if you ask LRPD they will tell you they cannot detain or arrest anyone simply for Open Carrying.  It's becoming more and more common place now to see people carrying....openly.   Of course where you work is a No Go.  ;)
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 2:26:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Do us a favor and let the Officer know your armed. Is it required, in most circumstances, no. But it lets him know as a person, who often encounters dangerous and deadly situations, that you are a one of the "good guys"
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:09:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I always notify. I've found that 9/10 times it actually lowers the roadside tension rather than raises it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:12:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do us a favor and let the Officer know your armed. Is it required, in most circumstances, no. But it lets him know as a person, who often encounters dangerous and deadly situations, that you are a one of the "good guys"
View Quote

Personally, I'll always notify just because of what you said.  I also don't want any surprises in the event that it would somehow becomes known that I am armed.  I think offering up the info is the best way to go, I just don't like that some states tell you that you HAVE to.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 4:54:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Found this and thought I'd throw it out there since it came up in the discussion.  This appears to be a "Rule" and not a "Law".  ASP website has two separate documents--one for rules and one for laws.

https://static.ark.org/eeuploads/asp/CHCL_Rules_revised_November_2013.pdf

Excerpt from Rule 3.2:

Rule 3.2 Contact with law enforcement
(a) While in possession of a concealed handgun, the licensee shall present the original
license for inspection, along with an official form of photo identification, upon request
for identification by any law enforcement officer.
(b) In any official contact with law enforcement, if the licensee IS in possession of a
handgun, when the officer asks the licensee for identification (driver’s license, or
personal information, such as name and date of birth), the licensee shall notify the
officer that he or she holds a concealed handgun carry license and that he or she has a
handgun in his or her possession.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 5:04:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Found this and thought I'd throw it out there since it came up in the discussion.  This appears to be a "Rule" and not a "Law".  ASP website has two separate documents--one for rules and one for laws.

Excerpt from Rule 3.2:

(a) While in possession of a concealed handgun, the licensee shall present the original
license for inspection, along with an official form of photo identification, upon request
(b) In any official contact with law enforcement, if the licensee IS in possession of a
handgun, when the officer asks the licensee for identification (driver’s license, or
personal information, such as name and date of birth), the licensee shall notify the
officer that he or she holds a concealed handgun carry license and that he or she has a
View Quote

Now you're catching on.   Their(ASP) rules says it's required however the Statute does not say that.   The ASP rules is what all the CCL instructors teach not so much the statutes that actually affect us.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 10:28:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Now you're catching on.   Their(ASP) rules says it's required however the Statute does not say that.   The ASP rules is what all the CCL instructors teach not so much the statutes that actually affect us.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excerpt from Rule 3.2:

Would not the ASP rules affect us?  Seems they could make it a long day if they wished, and your near future a PITA in general.  But I may be misunderstanding how this works.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 4:57:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Would not the ASP rules affect us?  Seems they could make it a long day if they wished, and your near future a PITA in general.  But I may be misunderstanding how this works.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excerpt from Rule 3.2:

BINGO!!  You can be the guy who says "I will not comply with your rules, only with the laws as codified" and enjoy your proctological exam as administered by the ASP, or play by their "rules" and go about your business with minimal disruption.  Your choice...and if you wish to take a stand and be the test case for not notifying I will certainly be watching from the sidelines as an interested party.  However, if it is to the point that I am already interacting with a LEO it isn't a huge infringement on my rights to notify them of something they can easily determine (and may already have) with the appropriate database call by dispatch.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:08:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

BINGO!!  You can be the guy who says "I will not comply with your rules, only with the laws as codified" and enjoy your proctological exam as administered by the ASP, or play by their "rules" and go about your business with minimal disruption.  Your choice...and if you wish to take a stand and be the test case for not notifying I will certainly be watching from the sidelines as an interested party.  However, if it is to the point that I am already interacting with a LEO it isn't a huge infringement on my rights to notify them of something they can easily determine (and may already have) with the appropriate database call by dispatch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excerpt from Rule 3.2:

Don't go trekking through Deming, N.M. when you need to take a shit...
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 11:33:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I think if I am on my own property you don't need to say squat.   I would of course tell him just to know he's safe with me.  But that's a courtesy not out of a requirement.    Also due to Act 746 I think the whole notifying thing is sort of out there now.   Since you can carry without a license now and the Weapons statutes do not say anything about notifying.  Only the CCW statues mention it.  Oh and the CCW statutes only say "Upon demand by law enforcement" anyway.

As was reported on Facebook I was part of a group carrying in NLR on Saturday night.   A customer in the restaurant we were eating called 911 because of all the icky guns.  NLR PD showed up(because they were called), asked a few questions and then left.  No issues at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OC or concealed in the restaurant?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 3:35:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OC.  All the way.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 6:18:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

OC.  All the way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OC.  All the way.

High five.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top