[#1]
The chair is against the wall, The chair is against the wall
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 10:35:40 AM EDT
[#2]
John has a long mustache,  John has a long mustache

Sign_Wolfman
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 10:36:54 AM EDT
[#3]
what would be the cost for a set up to talk across AR?were do u study for the test?

stuck
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 11:58:24 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
what would be the cost for a set up to talk across AR?were do u study for the test?

stuck

If you are near a city, I see most of them have groups and clubs to help. If you are a long ways from civilization, looks like you are on your own.

I bought the first two ARRL books off Amazon, for a good price.( Tech and General). However, I can't recommend them. They seem to assume the user to already have significant knowledge and a classroom setting.

Kind of ironic, for me. I have a pricey Marine Single Sideband that I can legally use if my boat is in the water. Sitting on dry land, I can't use it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 12:38:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Stuck,
Here is a link for you. Unfortunately they moved the meetings to Rogers from Bentonville but I am not sure if your town has a monthly meeting. I read the study book and took the online tests until I scored above a 90%. BCRO they gave me my test and helped me get set up on the local repeater.

bentoncoradiooperators.org/

www.qrz.com/p/testing.pl

I think the total cost for the test was $14.00. They will also let you take the General test at the same time if you pass your Tech without a extra fee so study it also.

Omni
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 1:38:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey, there is nothing to it any more.  First, you do not have to learn mores code.  Second, you do not need to know much beyond basic electronic formulas.  Third, all the test questions come from a test bank.  Get the test bank and read all the questions, highlight the correct answers and memorize the correct answer.  Do not waste your time reading the wrong distracters.  If you want to actually learn then find out why the correct answer is the correct answer.  But if all you want to do is get your ticket then just worry about the correct answer.  Heck you can be a no code extra in a month, if you can remember the correct answers and pass all the test.  This easy way to the top has alot of the old operators mad.  KC6YOT  
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 3:35:26 PM EDT
[#7]
damn, you mean i can't score with a General upgrade?
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 9:17:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks that way per the rules 1 and 2 if you already have a ticket, you can't play.
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 10:09:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 10:20:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'll do something for you old guys later.

OLD GUYS?!?!?!?

fawk....

Link Posted: 10/6/2008 5:10:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'll do something for you old guys later.

HOLY SHIT!!!

Thats it the world has come to its end. When people start talking like that to you then you know that you are on the downslope.

Damn yungins....
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 9:18:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 8:18:13 PM EDT
[#13]
ill be taking some classes the next few weeks sponsored by the ar dept of health and taking my test the 25th.  i promised the wifey i would only get a handheld radio and no base stations :)
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 8:35:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 8:59:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
i promised the wifey i would only get a handheld radio and no base stations :)

even most of the BIG rigs i wouldn't exactly call a "base station" since they operate on 12v DC = instant mobile

if you want something small and unobtrusive yet powerful for the truck, look at some of the mobiles with detachable, remote-mount control panels.  throw the radio under your seat and feed the control cable to a convenient spot on or near the dash -- she may not even notice it for a week or so......
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 12:30:45 PM EDT
[#16]
FYI: Just got this in an Email

If you or anyone in your unit/agency/community have ever thought about becoming a Licensed Amateur Radio Operator, I have good news. The Arkansas Department of Health is Sponsoring a Statewide HAM Radio class on October 18th and 25th, from 8:00am to 5:00pm. This class will cover everything you need to know to pass the “Technician” license exam. MORSE CODE is no longer a requirement. When all other forms of communication fail…HAM radios work! I highly recommend this class. The instructors are very knowledgeable and helpful. My wife and I took the class in January this year and we both are now licensed KE5SJK and KE5SIQ. The class will be video conferenced throughout the state at participating locations. There will be one near you. For more information or if you are interested in hosting a class site, contact John Nordlund at 501-231-7001.
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 12:42:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 12:51:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 1:23:10 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you or anyone in your unit/agency/community have ever thought about becoming a Licensed Amateur Radio Operator, I have good news. The Arkansas Department of Health is Sponsoring a Statewide HAM Radio class on October 18th and 25th, from 8:00am to 5:00pm. This class will cover everything you need to know to pass the “Technician” license exam. MORSE CODE is no longer a requirement. When all other forms of communication fail…HAM radios work! I highly recommend this class. The instructors are very knowledgeable and helpful. My wife and I took the class in January this year and we both are now licensed KE5SJK and KE5SIQ. The class will be video conferenced throughout the state at participating locations. There will be one near you. For more information or if you are interested in hosting a class site, contact John Nordlund at 501-231-7001.

Awesome.

thats the same one i got and am taking
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 3:55:00 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
ill be taking some classes the next few weeks sponsored by the ar dept of health and taking my test the 25th.  i promised the wifey i would only get a handheld radio and no base stations :)

Oden,  I should see you there.

I have spoke with John, and I will be trying my best to be there for is two day Oct class and testing.

Only thing that will stop me is if my plane get delayed or flight cancelled on Friday nights coming home.

I hope to see some other arfcom folks there too.  

-geek
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 4:41:42 PM EDT
[#21]
awesome it will be good to meet you
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 6:02:49 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

By the way, the class is FREE, and the end of the second day of the class goes straight into a exam.  The exam cost is 14 bucks, and John says he has a 99% pass rate after taking his class.

Link Posted: 10/9/2008 7:34:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I would have been there but I have to go to the Cancun that week...
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 8:23:30 PM EDT
[#24]
damn i was hoping you would be there oh well
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 9:22:23 PM EDT
[#25]
think they might have testing materials there for those of us that need to upgrade?  General and/or Extra?
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 9:25:17 PM EDT
[#26]
got me have to call john nordlund, but his email only mentions tech
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 2:15:50 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
think they might have testing materials there for those of us that need to upgrade?  General and/or Extra?

I wouldnt be surprised if he has the advanced testing materials on hand.  He is all about HAM.

I spoke with him today (Really nice guy btw), and he said he is the guy in charge of all emergency comms for the Arkansas health department.  So he is the person that coordinates comms for all public hospitals and red cross type stuff in any disaster where normal comms would be down, or thats what it sounded like anyway.

The class will be held in the AHD auditorium on the dates given.  He also says that if you cant make the Oct dates that he will be trying to give a class on a monthly basis from now on.

And if you havent figured it out yet, he is attempting to recruit volunteers for the AHP for emergency comms management at certain cites around Arkansas in the event of a disaster,  Hence the FREE class / instruction.

He hit me up, but once I told him I work out of state 5 days a week, he understood that I would not be able to volunteer.  But then he said to come on down anyway, the more new folks he can get into HAM the better, to grow the ranks of Arkansas HAM operators.

I mainly just want to get my tech ticket to have it for any possible shtf situation, but I may get into it as a hobby if I find the time.  I have been wanting to do it for a while, now I have no excuse.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 4:28:13 PM EDT
[#28]
class was pretty good but dry, the test will be a breeze
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 4:52:24 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Cool deal,

We're headed to the ranch in Arkansas this weekend. If I get a chance I'll do it. If not, I'll take it when I get back home.

Link Posted: 10/18/2008 9:02:56 PM EDT
[#30]
alright im committed now just ordered a yaesu ft-60r.  i already feel better, shtf comms have always worried me.  At least i have a option and some knowledge now
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 9:33:22 PM EDT
[#31]
I just picked up a used Yaesu VX-5R my self.....becareful, I'm listening
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 10:55:56 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
class was pretty good but dry, the test will be a breeze

I can't agree more.

Useful information, but mostly dry content if that makes sense.

-geek
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 10:56:30 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
alright im committed now just ordered a yaesu ft-60r.  i already feel better, shtf comms have always worried me.  At least i have a option and some knowledge now

I will be ordering a handheld soon, just have to figure out what I want.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 9:17:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 9:30:18 PM EDT
[#35]
damn the memberships.  buy more Warrior Jeep tickets
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 10:20:38 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
So how many memberships am I buying so far?

You will be buying mine as of next Saturday.  

odin and I will be taking our Tech exam next Saturday.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 11:01:08 PM EDT
[#37]
if you want to wait you can renew mine in march when it expires, im not paying membership for anything for a year
Link Posted: 10/25/2008 6:27:25 PM EDT
[#38]
me and m4geek passed our tech exams, tried the general with out studying for the hell of it and failed miserably :) i thought it was funny.

tech was a breeze, general would have been if i had studied, i didn't know i could test for free right then
Link Posted: 10/25/2008 6:50:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/31/2008 4:27:53 PM EDT
[#40]
i am now KE5WVT
Link Posted: 10/31/2008 4:55:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
i am now KE5WVT

teh n00b.
Link Posted: 10/31/2008 5:57:35 PM EDT
[#42]
yep bad noob, i can't decide if im just in a hole, no one is transmitting or something is wrong with my radio
Link Posted: 11/1/2008 1:50:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
i am now KE5WVT

I guess I am legit now......

KE5WVW
Link Posted: 11/1/2008 10:51:15 PM EDT
[#44]
<.........Newbies..........
Link Posted: 11/1/2008 11:43:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
<.........Newbies..........

Yep...Admittingly so.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2008 1:02:35 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
In the spirit of the survival thread we have goin on...

I'll buy a team membership for the first 2 non team members to get they're ham license before 2008 is done. If you're already a team member, we'll work something out. Depending on what kind of mood I'm in that day, a Pmag may also head your way.

The rules are simple enough:

1. Be a new comer to ham radio.
2. Take and pass the test for the Tech License
3. After you get that far and get your official call sign, IM me or post it here if you like. If I can give you a holler with my meager setup, we'll chat for awhile! If not, prizes will still be awarded and good times had by all.
4.???
5. profit

We have the
Arfcom Ham Radio forum[/url] if you have questions or need help. The [url=http://www.arrl.org/]AARL is the main source of ham knowledge for most people though. We also have a pretty good number of Arkansas HTF members who are hams, myself included.

So when is the awards ceremony?  

Link Posted: 11/4/2008 1:56:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/4/2008 1:56:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/4/2008 2:12:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In the spirit of the survival thread we have goin on...

I'll buy a team membership for the first 2 non team members to get they're ham license before 2008 is done. If you're already a team member, we'll work something out. Depending on what kind of mood I'm in that day, a Pmag may also head your way.

The rules are simple enough:

1. Be a new comer to ham radio.
2. Take and pass the test for the Tech License
3. After you get that far and get your official call sign, IM me or post it here if you like. If I can give you a holler with my meager setup, we'll chat for awhile! If not, prizes will still be awarded and good times had by all.
4.???
5. profit

We have the
Arfcom Ham Radio forum if you have questions or need help. The AARL is the main source of ham knowledge for most people though. We also have a pretty good number of Arkansas HTF members who are hams, myself included.

So when is the awards ceremony?

You win the internetz!

Congratulations.

WOWWEEE!!!  
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 10:54:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top