Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2016 10:49:00 PM EDT
Have a wedding I'm attending in a few weeks. I'll be flying into Omaha because it is cheaper than flying into Lincoln.

Anyways, I guess a good quick lunch spot in Omaha for after I land and two or three restaurants in Grand Island that I should check out.

Thanks in advance,
Coach
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 11:42:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Not from Omaha but one of the places I like is Charlie's on the Lake. I haven't ever ate off their dinner menu. As for supper I like their prime.

http://charliesonthelake.net/Home.aspx

We'll Smoke You in Gretna is pretty good BBQ too.

As for GI if you might give The Wave Pizza Company or Sin City Grill for burgers.

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 12:55:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Misty's in Lincoln is usually very good.

Have you had a Runza before?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:03:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Been really happy with all the food at twin peaks so far and the scenery is pretty good as well.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 8:53:03 AM EDT
[#4]
As a GI native now living on the east coast, here are some of my recommendations for Grand Island.

For a good breakfast...the Farmer's Daughter Café--been around a long time and great breakfast and lunch. As Midwestern as you can get.

A must is going to the 80+ year old Coney Island Lunch Room. Same Greek family selling coney's for over eight decades.  Walk and you will think is it 1950's.

Good pizza: Wave Pizza Company (also known as Bonzai Beach Club)

Good bar food: Sin City Grill

Grand Island has a lot of chain food...I like to find locally owned business.

Enjoy the town...
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 7:40:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the suggestions, y'all. I'm not sure how much down/free time I'll have to explore in Omaha or Grand Island, but I will make time for food.

I don't miss my feedings.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 5:09:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As a GI native now living on the east coast, here are some of my recommendations for Grand Island.

For a good breakfast...the Farmer's Daughter Café--been around a long time and great breakfast and lunch. As Midwestern as you can get.

A must is going to the 80+ year old Coney Island Lunch Room. Same Greek family selling coney's for over eight decades.  Walk and you will think is it 1950's.

Good pizza: Wave Pizza Company (also known as Bonzai Beach Club)

Good bar food: Sin City Grill

Grand Island has a lot of chain food...I like to find locally owned business.

Enjoy the town...
View Quote

I don't disagree with anything above.  Wave Pizza is next door to Farmer's Daughter.  Wave has arguably the best pizza in a 75 mi radius.

Also in downtown GI:
-The Chicken Coop, which is great for serving up microbrewed beer from Thunderhead.  Food is good there too.  
-McKinney's Irish Pub.  Lots of beer combos on the menu and the pub-style food is very good.
-The Chocolate Bar.  Across the street from McKinney's, the dessert is tasty and they make a great Old Fashioned.  
-J Alfred Prufrocks.  Martini bar that's great for a quiet drink.  
-Prairie Pride Brewing Company.  They're doing soft openings right now and grand opening will be "soon".  Around the block from Chicken Coop and near all the above places.  They just have a taproom, no food.  Fantastic beer.

Best burger in Grand Island is at Whitey's on Webb Road near the old and new malls.  Also in that area is Napoli's (Italian) and El Toro (Mexican).

Avoid the chains.  There's no need to eat there since there are so many other good, locally-owned restaurants.  

PS - Hornady Manufacturing is located in Grand Island.  They do factory tours that are a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 12:03:33 PM EDT
[#7]
You mentioned Lincoln, but not sure if you'll be there.

Leadbelly's in Lincoln is really good.

The philly egg rolls are the shit.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 2:39:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Didn't even think about the Hornady Manufacturing plant, awesome!
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 8:07:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Runza is disgusting to everyone who didn't grow up in Nebraska.

But I have no quick lunch spot suggestions unfortunately!
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 2:40:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Blatt  Beer & Table...downtown Omaha, just a few minutes from the airport.  Some of the best wings I've ever had.  They serve smoked ketchup...you'd eat your own shoe covered in that stuff.  And some great beer there, too.

Been a few years since I've been, though.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 5:26:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Blatt  Beer & Table...downtown Omaha, just a few minutes from the airport.  Some of the best wings I've ever had.  They serve smoked ketchup...you'd eat your own shoe covered in that stuff.  And some great beer there, too.

View Quote

There's a poster here that owns either a brewery or other similar business that is in Nebraska.

Think it is Stutz?
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 10:39:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

+1 it's too small to be a Philly and not enough meat, and who the hell eats cabbage unless it's still paddy's day?

Been eating out in omaha for 2 weeks now and the only food I've had that wasn't amazing was runza.

Link Posted: 11/1/2016 2:12:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

There's a poster here that owns either a brewery or other similar business that is in Nebraska.

Think it is Stutz?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Think it is Stutz?

Stutzcattle does, Lazy Horse Winery and Brewery in Ohiowa, NE.  It's about 45 minutes south of the York, NE I-80 interchange, maybe an hour and fifteen, hour and thirty minutes from GI.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 4:55:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

+1 it's too small to be a Philly and not enough meat, and who the hell eats cabbage unless it's still paddy's day?

Been eating out in omaha for 2 weeks now and the only food I've had that wasn't amazing was runza.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

what was so bad about Runza?  did you actually eat a runza or have a burger?
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 4:59:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Had an actual runza because it would be retarded to get something else at a place called runza.

Flavor just wasn't impressive, it wasn't horrible it just wasn't impressive either, very bland. I was expecting a mini bruchis cheesesteak.

Link Posted: 11/1/2016 5:28:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Had an actual runza because it would be retarded to get something else at a place called runza.

Flavor just wasn't impressive, it wasn't horrible it just wasn't impressive either, very bland. I was expecting a mini bruchis cheesesteak.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I lived in Omaha for 8 years.  I had one runza the entire time I was there, at a Husker game.  It was one too many.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 5:37:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

my wife tried for years for me to try a runza.  finally i did and hated it.  stupid cabbage.  for some reason i really like their burgers, minus the onion.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 9:25:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Have you tried one of their cheesy runzas?  I don't think those have cabbage.... I could be wrong though as I haven't had one in a while.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 9:44:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Have you tried one of their cheesy runzas?  I don't think those have cabbage.... I could be wrong though as I haven't had one in a while.
View Quote

i think that was the one i had.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 10:11:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's the only way I can eat them as they really are pretty bland otherwise.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 7:22:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Stutzcattle does, Lazy Horse Winery and Brewery in Ohiowa, NE.  It's about 45 minutes south of the York, NE I-80 interchange, maybe an hour and fifteen, hour and thirty minutes from GI.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Think it is Stutz?

Dang, I probably can't swing that trip.

Anybody know if I can buy ammo at the Hornady plant?
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 8:33:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Think it is Stutz?

i know people have bought factory seconds on bullets.  not sure about other components or ammo.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 2:58:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Coach.....You must have a Runza and take back home some Dorothy Lynch salad dressing.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 8:39:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Coach.....You must have a Runza and take back home some Dorothy Lynch salad dressing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol at the salad dressing. My cousins in the area actually have shipped us that dressing.

It tastes near identical to a fried chicken finger/fried potato (potatoes cut long ways in semi thick slices, breaded in chicken finger batter, and deep fried) sauce a local BBQ place makes.

They also shipped us some kool aid because apparently it was invented near there.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 8:41:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Dang it. I kinda hope the Hornady plant is open on Veterans Day so I could tour, just me being selfish.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 2:12:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Yes, I talked to customer service at Hornady and they will be giving tours Friday.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 1:59:23 AM EDT
[#27]
The Crescent Moon Ale House in near Midtown Omaha is a nice german themed bar/grill.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 2:41:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The Crescent Moon Ale House in near Midtown Omaha is a nice german themed bar/grill.
View Quote

Good food and a good beer selection including the actual Beer store next door.

Don't forget pint night Tuesday:  Buy a glass for $5 or something like that and get free refills of that night's beer.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 8:50:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Don't forget pint night Tuesday:  Buy a glass for $5 or something like that and get free refills of that night's beer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dang, I'm not gonna be there on Tuesday.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 1:21:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Sadness.  At least stop by the store itself, it's quite ridiculously full of the wondrous drink.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 11:25:48 PM EDT
[#31]
The plant tour was awesome today!

Taking home some awesome Hornady swag back to Bama soon.

Any good places to buy Nebraska Cornhusker shirts/gear?
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 11:28:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The plant tour was awesome today!

Taking home some awesome Hornady swag back to Bama soon.

Any good places to buy Nebraska Cornhusker shirts/gear?
View Quote

Any Walmart? Lol
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 12:58:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Husker Headquarters in Lincoln.

http://www.huskerheadquarters.com/location/
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 1:40:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Farmer's Daughter this morning was pretty good. That bacon was thicker than my gf's rear end.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 5:38:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Farmer's Daughter this morning was pretty good. That bacon was thicker than my gf's rear end.
View Quote

Oh my.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 1:54:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Enjoyed the trip y'all. Had a good time touring Hornady and eating at Farmer's Daughter.

I caught the garter so maybe I'll be next to get engaged.

Already landed back in Bama. If any of you folks find yourself in the Yellowhammer State, drop me a line.

Thanks,
Coach
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 5:37:03 PM EDT
[#37]
thanks for stopping by!
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 8:45:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
thanks for stopping by!
View Quote

It was cold, windy, and the land looked like toast.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top