Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2016 10:08:46 PM EDT
The Great Gun Control Debate with Dr. John Lott vs. Paul Helmke

From the University of Nebraska-Lincoln website:

The Great Gun Control Debate with Dr. John Lott vs. Paul Helmke (Oklahoma City, Columbine, Virginia Tech, Fort Hood, Aurora, Sandy Hook) will be held on Thursday, October 27, 2016 at 7:30pm in the Nebraska East Union Great Plains Room. Sponsored by the University Program Council (UPC). Free for UNL Students with a valid NCard & $5.00 at the door for Faculty/Staff/Public. The list of mass murders in America grows and grows. Why? And what can we do about it? In this Great Debate on Gun Control two of America's most prominent public intellectuals go head-to-head on this most contentious and timely topic.
View Quote

I will definitely be in attendance.  Oddly, it's in the East Union great plains room which is fairly small venue, but it's the more conservative side of campus at least.  Not that I would know.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 10:53:08 PM EDT
[#1]
WOAH!

I just let some NFOA'ers know, if they didn't already.

We need a HUGE turnout!

Call To Action!!
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 2:39:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm pretty shocked that this has flown under the radar.  Of course I did some searching more generally for events on the university website and this one was a little buried.

If I remember I'll post fliers around east campus.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:36:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I just posted on the NFOA members forum and in a couple Facebook groups. The NFOA might do an email blast as well.

http://news.unl.edu/newsrooms/today/article/experts-to-debate-gun-control-on-oct-27/
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:19:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn, I may just be able to make it!

Any suggestions on parking? I'm not too familiar with campus.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:04:21 PM EDT
[#5]
East campus has awful parking.  $40 tickets in any of the lots.  $15 at a meter (if it expires obviously).  There aren't really visitor spots but you can get day passes at the East Union convenience store.  (It's a hole in the wall with random junk food and coffee.  

All that being said, you're unlikely to get a parking ticket after 6pm as I've never seen or heard of a ticket that late.  Therefore you could try either the lot directly north of the East Union or the lot slightly farther north and across the street.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 10:24:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I would think you'd be safe. If you get a ticket protest it saying you were at a university function. You should be ok. I just found out I am working that night, so I'll be on campus but working nearby.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 11:03:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Great, thanks guys.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 11:48:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Great, thanks guys.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 6:53:35 PM EDT
[#9]
TONIGHT'S THE NIGHT!
7:30PM In the Great Plains room at the East Campus Union at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 7:38:09 PM EDT
[#10]
im working nearby.  i want to go, but can't.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:27:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Here are my notes from the debate, all 13 pages of them.  I would like to think I recorded everything accurately but I do believe I missed some stuff which may portray either debater in a more or less positive light.

There were probably 100 or so people there so attendance was pretty good.  For more info you can read the document to get my impression of the event.  Or not....

TL;DR: Gun debate doesn't change my mind but shows that anti-gunners are at least trying to use argumentation and facts.  Ostensibly.  Protesters of debates are, as usual, bigots.  Juris Doctorate is a Doctorate degree in Law.

https://www.scribd.com/document/329193425/The-Great-Gun-Control-Debate-10-27-2016?secret_password=iui2VkQyM1RwQD8sCgSU

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:31:35 AM EDT
[#12]
i saw the protestors sign on facebook and instagram.  quite classy.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 1:11:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I hardly looked up due to the note taking, but why does Dr Lott seem confused all of sudden - oh right, protesters.  

ETA: Where did you find the photos of the protesters?
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:10:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I hardly looked up due to the note taking, but why does Dr Lott seem confused all of sudden - oh right, protesters.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My buddy Jon, always making the best of it:)

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:13:08 AM EDT
[#15]
That was one of them. Rod or someone else had a couple as well.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 1:40:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That was one of them. Rod or someone else had a couple as well.
View Quote

Jeremy has a couple too.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:46:55 PM EDT
[#17]
My meeting down that way got cancelled at the last minute.

Thanks for taking notes, I'll get to reading.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top