Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2016 8:08:45 PM EDT
Hello all.

I may be moving from Missouri to Lincoln, NE for work.

What do I need to know?   How are the people, how's the town?

What is the political climate like?  In Missouri we really don't have to worry, in fact in the past 2 years we've been putting laws on the books INCREASING gun rights.

Just looking for some general input, what there is to do for fun and how I'd like it.

Any feedback is appreciated

ETA:  Duh, forgot to ask.  Any gun laws I should be aware of?

I have a FL CCW, does NE have reciprocity?

I also have SBR's & Suppressors, are those kosher?

ETA 2:  I also have to have a response in by WED.  So honestly, ANYTHING is helpful
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 10:17:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I live in Lincoln. It's a mix of pro-gun, anti-gun and indifferent. Where will you work? Will you stay long or is it just a short term job? If it's long term, get a NE CHP and join the Nebraska Firearms Owners Association (NFOA).

No carry signs carry the force of law. You must notify police if carrying.

Our legislature is split pretty even, frankly the nonpartisan Unicam is a joke. I hate not knowing which side of the aisle each member belongs to. Some are easy to pick out, others are not.

All NFA is a ok.

For laws, lincoln has no guns left in vehicles for over 24 hours and some misdemeanors prevent you from owning guns in Lincoln but not the state.

Enjoy the 7.25% tax.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 10:39:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 4:16:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd look for housing in the Hickman, Firth, Cortland, Bennett area if your job is going to be on the south side of town.

I lived in Firth for 5 years. It was nice living in a town of 600 and only being 15min from 56th and highway 2 in Lincoln.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 8:38:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I've lived in STL, MO  for 3 years now but am from KC, MO

I appreciate the feedback.

What's with the no gun in a vehicle thing? That's nuts. How do they even enforce that?

So if you have a NE drivers license you have to have a NE CCW?  Is it essentially that they don't honor non-resident permits for residents of NE?

And can some one dive a little deeper into this >3.5" knife thing for me?
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 8:40:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

That sucks. The sign thing would be hard to get used to. We just carry wherever we want no matter what in MO
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 11:06:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've lived in STL, MO  for 3 years now but am from KC, MO

I appreciate the feedback.

What's with the no gun in a vehicle thing? That's nuts. How do they even enforce that?

So if you have a NE drivers license you have to have a NE CCW?  Is it essentially that they don't honor non-resident permits for residents of NE?

And can some one dive a little deeper into this >3.5" knife thing for me?
View Quote

As for the 24 hour rule, it's only in Lincoln and must be left alone for 24 hours. Supposed to reduce theft. It's silly. People have been hit with it before. I know if you file a missing gun and you tell them you left it in the car for over 24 hours, they will ticket you.

For the knife stuff... Just carry a pocket knife under 3.5" and you're good. The NE Supreme court said something and I bet the Unicam will have to pass something to correct it. But that's my guess. The CHP does NOT cover knives, so no concealing a hunting knife.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 11:08:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That sucks. The sign thing would be hard to get used to. We just carry wherever we want no matter what in MO
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And the signs are not consistent. There is no uniform signage. The antis in the Unicameral are fine with it. They don't want an ugly sign on the door, etc.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 8:39:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, I'm officially on my way.

Should be out there about mid august.  

Hello all, this is my new HTF.

ETA:  Any advice on areas to live?  Probably looking to rent a house.  I've got a lot of stuff, such as a 16.5ft kayak, bikes, and brew equipment that doesn't fit to well into apartments.

Single younger guy.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 4:08:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Stay out of anything numbered in the single digits and A through F.  27th and W area is also is a place to avoid. Anything along 9th/10th Street is somewhat sketch, but anything beyond 48th, either north or south of O St is a safe bet for the most part, and rent shouldn't be too atrocious.

I'm in a small neighborhood off of 22nd and Holdredge, doesn't seem too bad either.

-Dave
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 7:36:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:21:35 AM EDT
[#11]

I would suggest staying out of Lincoln city limits and perhaps Lancaster county if you have NFA items and would possibly want more.
View Quote

You'd better explain that Rick, you know something I don't? Because I have NFA items, will be getting more, and I live here in Lincoln. I see no barriers at all, except for the extra couple hoops to jump through thanks to 41F.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 7:36:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You'd better explain that Rick, you know something I don't? Because I have NFA items, will be getting more, and I live here in Lincoln. I see no barriers at all, except for the extra couple hoops to jump through thanks to 41F.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I would suggest staying out of Lincoln city limits and perhaps Lancaster county if you have NFA items and would possibly want more.

yea, what do you mean Rick?  i got plenty of toys, no problems.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:52:16 PM EDT
[#13]
If anyone has leads on a rural house for rent or love that.

Otherwise I'll probably end up renting a house or loft in the city. Will be working in south Lincoln.

Want to rent because I will probably move for work again in a year or so.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 7:02:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:13:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Sorry, I forgot that there is no more CLEO sign off of NFA items after 41F.  

From what I recall, it used to be nearly impossible to get anyone to sign off in Lancaster county, but that is not an issue anymore.
View Quote

Oh, it was. Sheriff's response to a request for sign-off was essentially "If I don't know you, go F yourself." That's what trusts are for.

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 6:21:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Oh, it was. Sheriff's response to a request for sign-off was essentially "If I don't know you, go F yourself." That's what trusts are for.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sorry, I forgot that there is no more CLEO sign off of NFA items after 41F.  

From what I recall, it used to be nearly impossible to get anyone to sign off in Lancaster county, but that is not an issue anymore.

i remember getting the type of email that said "You're not in the Good Boy Club, so no."
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 6:23:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If anyone has leads on a rural house for rent or love that.

Otherwise I'll probably end up renting a house or loft in the city. Will be working in south Lincoln.

Want to rent because I will probably move for work again in a year or so.
View Quote

there's lots of nice small towns south of Lincoln.  just google map it.  South Lincoln is nicer, but filled with Liberals.  most rentals will be apartment or maybe duplexes.  not many lofts unless you live downtown by the new arena, which are expensive!  i would rather live in a small town and drive to Lincoln.

good luck!
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 8:50:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 8:46:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the reply!

When I say rural I'm thinking less apartmenty and more I can shoot and hunt on the landish
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:36:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Thanks for the reply!

When I say rural I'm thinking less apartmenty and more I can shoot and hunt on the landish
View Quote

in my experience, public land is stressed near larger cities.  travel a couple of hours if you want better chances to being alone.... that is if you don't get a nice acreage or don't meet people willing to let you on their private land.

keep us updated.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top